The Case for Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Case for Dayton

Postby murphy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:32 pm

no way in a million years would miller go to the BE now. The BE is a downward spiraling version of the A10. How in the world would you attract recruits to Marquette based upon the years they have had recently. He has it made now, UD is all other the sports pages, national TV, everywhere. Only a fool would leave now.
murphy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:36 pm

murphy wrote:no way in a million years would miller go to the BE now. The BE is a downward spiraling version of the A10. How in the world would you attract recruits to Marquette based upon the years they have had recently. He has it made now, UD is all other the sports pages, national TV, everywhere. Only a fool would leave now.

Enough already trolls.

Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby BEX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah, he'd be much smarter to stay and go 8-8 in the A-10. You do realize they finished 6th and it was their best finish since he's been there. Marquette pays 3-6 times what he makes now. He'd be stupid NOT to jump. He's just an average coach to me with 2 last second wins in a row. Take the $ while you can get it. he ain't got no world beaters on the roster, not even a single guy that will play in the pro's. Only a fool wants to coach in Dayton frickin' Ohio the rest of his life.
BEX

Postby RomainSato10 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:53 pm

murphy wrote:no way in a million years would miller go to the BE now. The BE is a downward spiraling version of the A10. How in the world would you attract recruits to Marquette based upon the years they have had recently. He has it made now, UD is all other the sports pages, national TV, everywhere. Only a fool would leave now.

He wont go, but Marq made the Elite 8 just last year. "based on the years they've had" I mean come on.........

Once UD is out of the tournament you are aware that you wont get any pub, this is just a short thing...unless you cut down the nets. Got a good run going, but its not like Archie unlocked a key to the elite in one weekend. He isnt getting into Andrew Wiggins living room or anything.

Enjoy the game/s you have left
RomainSato10

Postby mtkc12 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Three points to make for Dayton's inclusion--and what the Big East should really focus on (IMO):

1) Look at the very name of this website--Holy Land of Hoops. By its name, you are recognizing the religious identity of its members. If you go much beyond Butler, you start to lose that identity/tradition. Dayton is the only Catholic school still in the tournament (and one of only three private universities).

2) Football schools are the enemy. Schools with FBS programs will always put football first. The Big East needs to go back to its roots--to be a league that offers an alternative to the big football schools. Dayton is the only remaining school in the tournament that does not have a BCS program. While coaches will come/go, some schools have made a long-term financial commitment to field a very competitive men's basketball program. Dayton is one of those schools (along with every current Big East member).

3) Fans in seats matter. Dayton draws, both home and away. I don't know about you, but I'm much more interested in watching a game on TV where the stands are packed. Even if I don't care who wins, it's way more fun watching when I know it matters to a big crowd in attendance (Duke games being a great example). Dayton draws--that's why ESPN has basically given them an open invite to their holiday tournaments: Orlando (2011), Charleston (2012), Maui (2013), San Juan (2014). Watch the game Thursday--there will likely be 2000+ Dayton fans there on a Thursday night. Memphis is 8 hours from Dayton. New York is < 10. If Dayton would be lucky enough to join the Big East, you will have a lot of new fans in the stands to help replace the losses of UConn and Syracuse. If the Big East hopes to keep MSG, this matters. Watch the NCAA games on Friday night (esp. with UConn there) and it will remind you just how much this matters.

I write all of this because I know that the Big East is right for Dayton and firmly believe Dayton is right for the Big East. I also believe the Big East has to go beyond 10 teams for reasons explained elsewhere (fewer late starts/school, more members = greater chance of success, etc.), and that it should remain as a league of almost-exclusively Catholic schools (and I'm saying this as an Episcopalian)--to retain its unique identity/character.

At some point soon, Dayton is likely going to lose and we will all move on. I'm taking this moment in the spotlight, when discussions don't automatically turn to why X and Marquette fans hate all things Dayton, to "make the case for Dayton". Beyond the selfish argument for Dayton, I'm also trying to get you to realize that: 1) FBS schools are the enemy; and 2) The Big East should retain/build on its Catholic heritage (outside of Butler, which is a fine exception to this rule--kind of like Northwestern in the Big 10). Celebrate and build upon what got you here in the first place!

Good luck to the Big East, and good luck to THE University of Dayton!
mtkc12

Postby X Factor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 pm

mtkc12 wrote:Good luck to the Big East, and good luck to THE University of Dayton!

Typical Dayton fan. Make a Sweet 16 for the first time in 30 years and now it's "THE" University of Dayton. :roll:

What happens when Archie, who by the way, has never led UD to a finish higher than 6th place in the A10 bolts? Is UD looking at another 30 years of mediocrity?

So Dayton puts butts in seats, big whoop. Try winning a regular season or A10 tournament championship before you guys start puffing out your chests over a run to the S16.
X Factor

Postby SCS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm legitimately confused why you would even take offense to someone calling themselves THE University of Dayton. Is there another Dayton school you feel Dayton is slighting?
SCS

Postby BEX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:55 pm

Stanford 70, Dayton, 61
BEX

Postby augkash » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 am

That was Dayton daily news trolling Ohio st. Don't get upset about it.
augkash

Postby mtkc12 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:24 am

Thanks to a couple of you for coming to my defense. I used the Dayton Daily News headline that played off Ohio State. All of us who have lived in Ohio (X fans included) know that you will forever live in the shadow of Ohio State, at least if they have anything to say about it. That's the beauty of what the Big East can be--an alternative to the big, state-affiliated football schools.

As for the person trying to goad me on the score, I don't see the future so I have no idea. I get it that luck had a lot to do with Dayton getting to the Sweet 16. That's the case for any school below a 4 seed. That's the fun of the tournament.
mtkc12

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board