Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Xudash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

GoBlueDemons wrote:I personally think the current Big East Conference will stay at 10 team. If they were to expand I think Saint Louis University and the University of Dayton would be the top 2 choices as both universities are like-minded to the current members. Saint Louis University was strong rivals of DePaul and Marquette in their C-USA days and Dayton is Xavier University's arch rival. If they the Big East goes to 12 full members the Eastern schools (Georgetown University, Providence College, Seton Hall University, St. John's University, and Villanova University) may not want to be outnumbered by the Midwestern schools (Butler University, Creighton University, DePaul University, Marquette University and Xavier University. Duquesne University of the Holy Spirit in Pittsburgh, PA would fit for an Eastern member if they get their team good again. I don't think University of Connecticut (desiring ACC membership) or University of Notre Dame (ACC) are realistic options as both have FBS football. College of the Holy Cross was invited to become a founding member of the original Big East Conference and are currently in the Patriot League and their sports aren't Big East level.

That's not true.

UC is Xavier's arch rival.

Otherwise, it should always be about best candidate(s) if it happens, but I have to imagine that the eastern schools would prefer balance, especially for a conference named the Big East.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AACguy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 pm

FormulaX wrote:
Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:Kudos to the American Conference for having three top 25 football teams this week. They are tied with the ACC with three ranked teams. This is the reason that the AAC will not be going anywhere for a long time. Dreams of a breakup, with UConn coming back to the Big East, won't be happening. If Memphis, Tulane and Houston can get to the promised land, so can every other member of the conference.

Memphis and Houston doing well is great news for conference realignment. Big 12 will be more likely to take them with success on the field. I hope AAC teams continue the trend because that surely means they will be next in line for poaching. Also, for once, we as a conference can just sit back and watch everything unfold haha.

It's just great to see a "Thorn in the side" of the real enemy, which is the big football 5 conferences.

Yeah we are really excited for how well the AAC is doing in football this season and Memphi's win over Ole Miss was huge for league perception. I know there are a lot of college football fans here and not much football talk understandably, so anyone is welcome to visit and chat some college football with us anytime.
AACguy

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:57 am

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2015/10/21 ... cincinnati

Memphis/Cincy addition to Big12 discussion...

Would be the best option to put a final nail in the coffin for AAC basketball
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby Jet915 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 am

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:http://www.smokingmusket.com/2015/10/21/9583968/big12-expansion-conference-realignment-wvu-football-basketball-memphis-cincinnati

Memphis is kind of a joke academically. Although their academic standards aren't as high as the Pac-12 and BIG, I find it hard to believe they would take Memphis but who knows....still think Cincy and BYU are the best options.
Jet915

Postby Edrick » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am

Both of them are jokes academically. But Memphis is unquestionably the most high profile basketball program of the group, they're football team is presently mid-level B12 competitive and importantly they are situated to the west. BYU is a no-brainer if they really want to do that (though Id imagine they prefer the Pac-12. They have a huge built-in viewer base.
Edrick

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 am

Jet915 wrote:
Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:http://www.smokingmusket.com/2015/10/21/9583968/big12-expansion-conference-realignment-wvu-football-basketball-memphis-cincinnati

Memphis is kind of a joke academically. Although their academic standards aren't as high as the Pac-12 and BIG, I find it hard to believe they would take Memphis but who knows....still think Cincy and BYU are the best options.

BYU isn't getting an invite unless they go to 14. They need to head east to bridge the gap with WVU and BYU is like a mini Texas with all it's needs so no one wants two of them in the conference.
NJRedman

Postby Xudash » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:21 am

This topic is always entertaining when it comes to suggestions made by PURE fans - - people who only think of what would be good from the sports side of things and who ignore the business side of things. On that note, I give you the guy who suggested in the comments section to get Arkansas and Nebraska back.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jet915 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Edrick wrote:Both of them are jokes academically. But Memphis is unquestionably the most high profile basketball program of the group, they're football team is presently mid-level B12 competitive and importantly they are situated to the west. BYU is a no-brainer if they really want to do that (though Id imagine they prefer the Pac-12. They have a huge built-in viewer base.

Yeah, Memphis football has been good the last two years but how about all the years before that? They were horrible. BYU and Cincy have the best combination of success in football and basketball as well as being good academically.
Jet915

Postby marquette » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Xudash wrote:This topic is always entertaining when it comes to suggestions made by PURE fans - - people who only think of what would be good from the sports side of things and who ignore the business side of things. On that note, I give you the guy who suggested in the comments section to get Arkansas and Nebraska back.

Yeah, why did they ever let those two go?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:51 am

marquette wrote:
Xudash wrote:This topic is always entertaining when it comes to suggestions made by PURE fans - - people who only think of what would be good from the sports side of things and who ignore the business side of things. On that note, I give you the guy who suggested in the comments section to get Arkansas and Nebraska back.

Yeah, why did they ever let those two go?

They didn't "let them go."
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board