Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:29 am

kayako wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Not that I favor the Billikens, but they would boost up the middle tier for the foreseeable 4-6 years (and the old notion of a "travel partner"). Add a upper tier team if you can find one and call it a day at 12. SLU would add 2 W's to the upper and mid tier teams resumes. 2 more W's gets the 6th and maybe 7th team dancin'. Anyone for Siena, St Bonnie's, Holy Cross, Manhattan/Fordham? :lol:
;)

Question? What ever became of the notion to schedule 3-4 BE vs Zags games a year, rather than attempting to have them join the conference? No followup? No interest?

Gonzaga is starting to abandon their "anywhere anytime" scheduling mantra, so I doubt they'd be willing to commit 3-4 games a year with a tough league across the country.

Gonzaga played on the road in Nashville this year, so I don't see why they couldn't travel into BE territory for a road game. They could host another game s the BE at home. So, 2-3 games against BE opponents wouldn't seem to be out of the question - especially if they were done between semesters when travel is less burdensome.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:34 am

One thing that has changed though Bill is that the week after Christmas, which used to have some OOC games, is becoming more and more a conference game week. I mean, Big East has 2 games next week. So does the WCC. And I don't see teams wanting to do major travel this week unless it's for a tournament like in Hawaii or Las Vegas. This is almost a time like preseason where you can really practice a lot.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:42 am

JPSchmack wrote:You can trash my alma mater all you like. This isn't about my alma mater. It's about how the Big East configured itself in a less than ideal fashion. In a way that doesn't maximize NCAA bids and forces NCAA caliber programs (like Creighton and Marquette last season) into finishing with NIT-worthy resumes, and is therefore leaving NCAA Unit money on the table.

Here's the thing, the results for the Big East have been ideal. You are trying to fix something that isn't broken. I don't think there is a single poster here who thinks their team should've made the tournament but didn't because of the 10-team configuration.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:47 am

DudeAnon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:You can trash my alma mater all you like. This isn't about my alma mater. It's about how the Big East configured itself in a less than ideal fashion. In a way that doesn't maximize NCAA bids and forces NCAA caliber programs (like Creighton and Marquette last season) into finishing with NIT-worthy resumes, and is therefore leaving NCAA Unit money on the table.

Here's the thing, the results for the Big East have been ideal. You are trying to fix something that isn't broken. I don't think there is a single poster here who thinks their team should've made the tournament but didn't because of the 10-team configuration.

I know that he's pushing for the Bonnie's to be added in an expansion scenario, but what's his complaint about the original format? :?
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:47 am

DudeAnon wrote:

I think you could argue both Georgetown and St John's back in 2014 season.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 am

Did anyone notice the hilarious P6 stickers on the Memphis helmets last night? They got creamed by WKU 51-31 lol. They are now 7-15 in bowl games since the split, including 1-7 in bowl games against G5 schools and 3-9 over the last two years. OUCH!

GoldenWarrior11

Postby bluejayfanatic » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am

JPSchmack wrote: In a way that doesn't maximize NCAA bids and forces NCAA caliber programs (like Creighton and Marquette last season) into finishing with NIT-worthy resumes, and is therefore leaving NCAA Unit money on the table.

Here's the thing, dude. You have an interesting argument, and I have actually enjoyed reading your analysis. But adding a couple of meh 75-150 wins for Creighton and Marquette wouldn't have done a thing to push them into the tournament last year. But using Creighton last year as an example, it was earning top-25/Tourney team wins (Butler, Hall, Xavier) that even put them in the at-large conversation to begin with. If the Jays had a couple more shots at those types of teams, that would have helped them. Adding mediocre/non-resume wins, even if it would have put them over 20 wins in the regular season, wouldn't have accomplished anything resume-wise.
bluejayfanatic

Postby maxpowers » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:17 pm

bluejayfanatic wrote:
JPSchmack wrote: In a way that doesn't maximize NCAA bids and forces NCAA caliber programs (like Creighton and Marquette last season) into finishing with NIT-worthy resumes, and is therefore leaving NCAA Unit money on the table.

The reason the Jays missed the tournament last year was because of a bungled chance versus Arizona State, followed by an embarrassing loss on the road to Loyola-Chicago. Resounding losses to Indiana on the road earlier in the season, plus a missed opportunity at Oklahoma didn't help. We did not miss because of a lack of opportunities in conference. The NIT berth was a fair reward for last season's efforts.
Go Bluejays!
maxpowers

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:17 pm

The case for UD joining the Big East ..... just kidding, only my wish for all to have a very Merry Christmas (or Happy Hanukkah or the faith you and yours practice). A very safe and prosperous New Year to those on this Board! Chat next year!
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby jfan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Best wishes to you and your family Flyer. Have a great Holiday!
CREIGHTON
jfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board