Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

Postby JPSchmack » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:31 pm

DudeAnon wrote:I think this season is going to be a perfect example of why JP is wrong on expansion.

Currently we have 4 teams playing for seeding and 4 trying to play their way in. The double-double ensures that 80% of all conference games will have 2 teams playing with NCAA implications. Ultimately, 6 is probably a max amount of bids. Because of this, those 4 teams fighting to get in are going to fight like hell and against good teams. Love it.

Just so we are clear, I want to compare what you are saying in this post to the general gist of what I'm saying:

DudeAnon:- The Top 4 teams of the Big East will be pretty much locks to make the NCAAs
JP:- The Top 4 teams of the Big East will be pretty much locks to make the NCAAs

DudeAnon:- The next 4 teams are NCAA worthy and each have to play 14 games against other NCAA programs.
JP:- The next 4 teams are NCAA worthy and each have to play 14 games against other NCAA programs

DudeAnon:- Those 14 games will beat up (at least) two of them so badly, that they won't make the NCAA Tournament, we'll get six bids
JP:- Those 14 games will beat up (at least) two of them so badly, that they won't make the NCAA Tournament, you'll get six bids.

DudeAnon:- And that's great!
JP:- And that's entertaining, but you can get ALL EIGHT TEAMS IN!
Add two programs that historically are 9-3 or better OOC vs one-bid leagues, and don't beat Big East caliber teams very often.
You'd have more inventory to sell, more markets to sell to, and you can strategically set the match-ups to maximize TV Ratings and NCAA bid potential.
JPSchmack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:30 pm

JPSchmack wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I think this season is going to be a perfect example of why JP is wrong on expansion.

Currently we have 4 teams playing for seeding and 4 trying to play their way in. The double-double ensures that 80% of all conference games will have 2 teams playing with NCAA implications. Ultimately, 6 is probably a max amount of bids. Because of this, those 4 teams fighting to get in are going to fight like hell and against good teams. Love it.

Just so we are clear, I want to compare what you are saying in this post to the general gist of what I'm saying:

DudeAnon:- The Top 4 teams of the Big East will be pretty much locks to make the NCAAs
JP:- The Top 4 teams of the Big East will be pretty much locks to make the NCAAs

DudeAnon:- The next 4 teams are NCAA worthy and each have to play 14 games against other NCAA programs.
JP:- The next 4 teams are NCAA worthy and each have to play 14 games against other NCAA programs

DudeAnon:- Those 14 games will beat up (at least) two of them so badly, that they won't make the NCAA Tournament, we'll get six bids
JP:- Those 14 games will beat up (at least) two of them so badly, that they won't make the NCAA Tournament, you'll get six bids.

Add two programs that historically are 9-3 or better OOC vs one-bid leagues, and don't beat Big East caliber teams very often.
You'd have more inventory to sell, more markets to sell to, and you can strategically set the match-ups to maximize TV Ratings and NCAA bid potential.

Your argument is so stupid I am not even going to bother. Just a reminder for those honestly entertaining this nonsense. St. Bonaventure has not won an NCAA tournament game since 1970 and has only made it 3 times since then. They would instantly be the worst program in the league.

Edit: Just for comparison, since 1970 St. Johns has made the tournament 23 times and Depaul has made it 16 times.
Last edited by DudeAnon on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:01 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Not that I favor the Billikens, but they would boost up the middle tier for the foreseeable 4-6 years (and the old notion of a "travel partner"). Add a upper tier team if you can find one and call it a day at 12. SLU would add 2 W's to the upper and mid tier teams resumes. 2 more W's gets the 6th and maybe 7th team dancin'. Anyone for Siena, St Bonnie's, Holy Cross, Manhattan/Fordham? :lol:
;)

Question? What ever became of the notion to schedule 3-4 BE vs Zags games a year, rather than attempting to have them join the conference? No followup? No interest?

Who the heck would they be a travel partner to? Creighton is 435 miles away, almost 7 hours by car. Butler would be their closest BE school and Butler already has someone closer as a travel partner.
Bill Marsh

Postby JPSchmack » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:39 am

DudeAnon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:

Your argument is so stupid I am not even going to bother. Just a reminder for those honestly entertaining this nonsense. St. Bonaventure has not won an NCAA tournament game since 1970 and has only made it 3 times since then. They would instantly be the worst program in the league.

Edit: Just for comparison, since 1970 St. Johns has made the tournament 23 times and Depaul has made it 16 times.

And that counter argument is like saying "That guy isn't good enough shooter to set screens for our 10 shooting guards. If we add anyone to the roster, it's another shooting guard."

You can trash my alma mater all you like. This isn't about my alma mater. It's about how the Big East configured itself in a less than ideal fashion. In a way that doesn't maximize NCAA bids and forces NCAA caliber programs (like Creighton and Marquette last season) into finishing with NIT-worthy resumes, and is therefore leaving NCAA Unit money on the table.
JPSchmack

Postby cu blujs » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:35 am

So if I follow, your best argument for adding the Bonnie's is your guys will play low major opponents OOC so they can get to 9 OOC wins and then be a doormat in the conference to help get an extra team into the NCAA? Very altruistic of you. But it is a flawed argument. The extra game against a sub 150 RPI team (or worse if you stumble in the OOC), which is where your Bonnie's would be by end of the season, isn't going to help any bubble team from these league.
cu blujs

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:48 am

JPSchmack wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:

And that counter argument is like saying "That guy isn't good enough shooter to set screens for our 10 shooting guards. If we add anyone to the roster, it's another shooting guard."

You can trash my alma mater all you like. This isn't about my alma mater. It's about how the Big East configured itself in a less than ideal fashion. In a way that doesn't maximize NCAA bids and forces NCAA caliber programs (like Creighton and Marquette last season) into finishing with NIT-worthy resumes, and is therefore leaving NCAA Unit money on the table.

So, the Big East configured itself in less than ideal fashion from the get go? So how should it have done that?
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:55 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Not that I favor the Billikens, but they would boost up the middle tier for the foreseeable 4-6 years (and the old notion of a "travel partner"). Add a upper tier team if you can find one and call it a day at 12. SLU would add 2 W's to the upper and mid tier teams resumes. 2 more W's gets the 6th and maybe 7th team dancin'. Anyone for Siena, St Bonnie's, Holy Cross, Manhattan/Fordham? :lol:
;)

Question? What ever became of the notion to schedule 3-4 BE vs Zags games a year, rather than attempting to have them join the conference? No followup? No interest?

Gonzaga is starting to abandon their "anywhere anytime" scheduling mantra, so I doubt they'd be willing to commit 3-4 games a year with a tough league across the country.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:42 am

JPSchmack wrote:

And do you realize the risk of the league not having 4 ranked teams in a given year? Sure, what you suggest starts to make a little sense when Villanova is at the top of the world and if the 3 newcomers of the league become perennial powerhouse programs. I think it's naive to form your point based on such wild assumptions, though.

I do think the Johnnies f'd up by not having a soft schedule.
supernova
kayako

Postby Edrick » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:50 am

Can we lock this thread?

There's zero percent chance of expansion and the annoying circular arguments about things equally as likely as you sprouting wings today is ridiculous
Edrick

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:06 am

Edrick wrote:Can we lock this thread?

There's zero percent chance of expansion and the annoying circular arguments about things equally as likely as you sprouting wings today is ridiculous

So I should cross "wings" off my Christmas wish list???

Maybe, since 2016 is coming to a close, so can the thread.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board