Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion.

Postby MUPanther » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:29 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm

MUPanther wrote:DJ Carton going pro.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2021/4/28/ ... areer.aspx

He must hate school....
Jet915

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:31 am

The more guys Shaka can bring in for his system, and cleanse the program of Wojo players, the better.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby cu blujs » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:26 am

Careful what you wish for*. Fans of our little step-brother down the road in Lincoln thought the same thing when Fred Hoiberg cleaned house (kept one player from prior year roster), and they subsequently set a record for most consecutive Big Ten conference losses. Shaka might be better than Fred at throwing together a roster and making it work, but even with good players such a big turnover doesn't always gel right away.

*maybe I should say be careful about your expectations for next year. Either way, if he can be successful year one (as in top half of BE and NCAA bid) with a completely revamped roster, then I'd see he has beaten the odds by a significant margin.
cu blujs

Postby MUPanther » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:33 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The more guys Shaka can bring in for his system, and cleanse the program of Wojo players, the better.

DJ Carton seemed hyped to play for Smart. I don't understand his thought process in thinking he is a NBA player. I don't think this lose is as big as some think it is.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:15 pm

cu blujs wrote:Careful what you wish for*. Fans of our little step-brother down the road in Lincoln thought the same thing when Fred Hoiberg cleaned house (kept one player from prior year roster), and they subsequently set a record for most consecutive Big Ten conference losses. Shaka might be better than Fred at throwing together a roster and making it work, but even with good players such a big turnover doesn't always gel right away.

*maybe I should say be careful about your expectations for next year. Either way, if he can be successful year one (as in top half of BE and NCAA bid) with a completely revamped roster, then I'd see he has beaten the odds by a significant margin.

My personal expectation is that the team next year provides ample playing time to the new and young players, that they develop an identity and style of play and, most importantly, are better at the end of the year than at the start. I do not have the expectation of tournament or bust. Shaka has made the NCAAT in eight of eleven years, with a likely nine in twelve if not for COVID. He knows how to develop sustainable winning programs. Under Wojo, especially in the past three seasons, the team regressed as the season wore on and played some of its worst basketball, given the talent, at the end of the season. There were losing streaks, blowouts and embarrassments. Next year, especially for following year and beyond, the team needs progression, development and optimism for future seasons (something Wojo teams certainly did not have over the previous seasons).

Regarding DJ, best of luck to him and his pursuits. I would not want anyone taking a roster spot that didn’t want to be here. I’m not as sad as other MU fans because he was only here for one season. I view his tenure similarly to Henry Ellenson. Skilled player with pro potential, but very much made it known he was a likely one and done player. Very hard for non-blue bloods to develop sustained winning programs with that amount of turnover annually. If you can get them regularly - great; if not, you continually face uphill climb to get players of that skill and limited stay. One and done players do not carry the same legacy or connection to schools and programs as three or four year players do. Just my feelings.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm

Garcia enters transfer portal but says he could return to Marquette.
Jet915

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:32 am

Jet915 wrote:Garcia enters transfer portal but says he could return to Marquette.

What Big East school do we think he transfers to?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:04 am

Wahaaaat? He needs to stay put in Milwaukee. Give ol' Shaka a chance to git things going.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:25 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
cu blujs wrote:Careful what you wish for*. Fans of our little step-brother down the road in Lincoln thought the same thing when Fred Hoiberg cleaned house (kept one player from prior year roster), and they subsequently set a record for most consecutive Big Ten conference losses. Shaka might be better than Fred at throwing together a roster and making it work, but even with good players such a big turnover doesn't always gel right away.

My personal expectation is that the team next year provides ample playing time to the new and young players, that they develop an identity and style of play and, most importantly, are better at the end of the year than at the start. I do not have the expectation of tournament or bust. Shaka has made the NCAAT in eight of eleven years, with a likely nine in twelve if not for COVID. He knows how to develop sustainable winning programs. Under Wojo, especially in the past three seasons, the team regressed as the season wore on and played some of its worst basketball, given the talent, at the end of the season. There were losing streaks, blowouts and embarrassments. Next year, especially for following year and beyond, the team needs progression, development and optimism for future seasons (something Wojo teams certainly did not have over the previous seasons).

Regarding DJ, best of luck to him and his pursuits. I would not want anyone taking a roster spot that didn’t want to be here. I’m not as sad as other MU fans because he was only here for one season. I view his tenure similarly to Henry Ellenson. Skilled player with pro potential, but very much made it known he was a likely one and done player. Very hard for non-blue bloods to develop sustained winning programs with that amount of turnover annually. If you can get them regularly - great; if not, you continually face uphill climb to get players of that skill and limited stay. One and done players do not carry the same legacy or connection to schools and programs as three or four year players do. Just my feelings.

The same summary I gave about DJ I'll give to Dawson. Good luck to the young man, but I'm not torn up about it at all. I'd much rather have players that want to be here and be part of what Shaka is developing. If you don't want to be at MU, there are always other players hungry for the opportunity.

The fact Dawson hasn't been on-campus in weeks should speak volumes. I do know he was one of the first players Shaka reached out to. If he believes going to another school improves his draft stock, more luck to him. However, a player that had an updrafted grade to begin with, remained an undrafted rank once the pre-draft process concluded, and believes leaving a program with a proven head coach that has sent numerous bigs to the NBA, clearly shows there was little interest staying at MU to begin with.

The grass is not always greener. Unfortunately, many young athletes learn that the hard way.
GoldenWarrior11

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board