2021 Recruiting Class- EVEN BETTER THAN THE BEST!!!

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2021 Recruiting Class- EVEN BETTER THAN THE BEST!!!

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:54 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:In DudeA's defense any listing like this brings a bit of subjectivity to it. How do you measure success? Is it just FF's and NC's? Is it how consistently you're ranked? Conf championships? Media coverage? Over what timeframe?

Someone in their mid 30's has a much different view of UConn or Cuse or G'town then someone in their mid 50's. Being the Old Head that I am I grew up on the Pearl Washington and Derrick Coleman teams. So Cuse has occupied my attention as a (now former) BE team for a longer period of time and probably with more vitriol than UConn in total. Prior to Calhoun UConn was mostly irrelevant. But once JC arrived UConn became a force. Late 80's/early 90's into the 2010's they were easily the best team in the conference, and one of the best programs in the country.

I have to say coming from an X fan I don't understand the argument of holding UConn to a different standard than you would X. If you think Cuse is a higher tiered program because of historical performance then X would be below UC in pecking order in Ohio. I don't see that. And for all of the arguments that their stay in the AAC took some luster off their brand, remember that they did win a NC there...

I am 32 to add some context. And my ranking was purely off of subjective "brand". And in that regard the recent past is most important. I mean, before the OBE split it might've seemed pretty controversial to put Villanova at the top of the OBE schools as far as brands. But now it would probably be unanimous.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BFieldHusky » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:37 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:No doubt about it...Hurley is getting the job done on the recruiting trail. He's bringing in what I believe to be the sweet spot for where the BE should be--25-150 range with guys that aren't just looking to jump to the NBA. It's not like they did poorly bringing in talent in the past, but it does seem the return to the BE has helped. I've said it repeatedly...there is a HUGE concentration in HS BB talent within the DC to Boston corridor. Schools like Pitt and Cuse used to feast on NY, DC, Philly talent. It's an easy sell. You can go away to school and your family can still see you live in several "local" venues. So a kid from Philly can go to Connecticut and his parents are driving distance to G'town, SJU, SHU, Nova, the BET--heck even Prov and UConn aren't THAT far. It's a significant factor.

Now regarding this latest kid they're bringing in. Perhaps I'm so used to how Jay W builds his roster and Hurley just has a different style but it seems like he's got an awful lot of bigs that he's stocking up on. Akok, Sanogo, Brown-Ferguson and now Samson J. All 4 on the roster at the same time... interesting. Maybe Husky fans can enlighten me on their skill sets. I'm assuming that several of these guys can play together but I don't know that for sure. I just see 4 kids in that "big" role and am wondering how DH is going to utilize their talents on the same floor together.

The plan when Sanago committed was to potentially redshirt Brown-Ferguson, especially since he is only 17. Will be interesting to see what they do with him. If the season starts later it gives Akok and Tyler Polley more time to heal from injuries, and I could see that scenario being even more realistic. UConn is also in great shape for a Top 50 2022 center, Donovan Clingan, who is a CT kid.
BFieldHusky

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:36 pm

BFieldHusky wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:No doubt about it...Hurley is getting the job done on the recruiting trail. He's bringing in what I believe to be the sweet spot for where the BE should be--25-150 range with guys that aren't just looking to jump to the NBA. It's not like they did poorly bringing in talent in the past, but it does seem the return to the BE has helped. I've said it repeatedly...there is a HUGE concentration in HS BB talent within the DC to Boston corridor. Schools like Pitt and Cuse used to feast on NY, DC, Philly talent. It's an easy sell. You can go away to school and your family can still see you live in several "local" venues. So a kid from Philly can go to Connecticut and his parents are driving distance to G'town, SJU, SHU, Nova, the BET--heck even Prov and UConn aren't THAT far. It's a significant factor.

Now regarding this latest kid they're bringing in. Perhaps I'm so used to how Jay W builds his roster and Hurley just has a different style but it seems like he's got an awful lot of bigs that he's stocking up on. Akok, Sanogo, Brown-Ferguson and now Samson J. All 4 on the roster at the same time... interesting. Maybe Husky fans can enlighten me on their skill sets. I'm assuming that several of these guys can play together but I don't know that for sure. I just see 4 kids in that "big" role and am wondering how DH is going to utilize their talents on the same floor together.

The plan when Sanago committed was to potentially redshirt Brown-Ferguson, especially since he is only 17. Will be interesting to see what they do with him. If the season starts later it gives Akok and Tyler Polley more time to heal from injuries, and I could see that scenario being even more realistic. UConn is also in great shape for a Top 50 2022 center, Donovan Clingan, who is a CT kid.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion BFH... I'm not trying to be critical of Hurley, just trying to understand the roster construction and what ideally DH wants to put on the floor. The late 80's / early 90's G'town teams used to throw pairs of bigs out there all the time. But it seems like the game has changed...guards, the 3 point line, defensive flexibility, etc. all seem to be the new norm. I know Akok has a developing outside shot so maybe he slides to more of a big wing.(?) So if the RS Brown-Ferguson so he is effectively a '21, and can bring in Clingan (who seems like someone who can step in day 1), that leaves 5 really good bigs all looking for minutes in 22-23, right? Clingan also maybe can be a stretch 4. But the others seem like throw back, rim protecting big men. That type of roster construction would be a real interesting study in contrast to a team like Creighton last year, that just spreads you out completely and fires away.

Any way you slice it DH and Uconn is bringing some new energy and undeniable talent to the league. I think that's a real good thing. I've always believed a rising tide lifts all boats.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby xufan02 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 am

2021 top150 3 star forward Elijah Tucker committed to Xavier today.

https://twitter.com/TuckerElijah4/statu ... 78432?s=19

Based on discussions he is likely to redshirt his freshmen year. He is one of the youngest players in 2021, and has a good pedigree. His mom played ball at Tennessee and his dad played in the NFL.
xufan02

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:27 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Thanks for contributing to the discussion BFH... I'm not trying to be critical of Hurley, just trying to understand the roster construction and what ideally DH wants to put on the floor. The late 80's / early 90's G'town teams used to throw pairs of bigs out there all the time. But it seems like the game has changed...guards, the 3 point line, defensive flexibility, etc. all seem to be the new norm. I know Akok has a developing outside shot so maybe he slides to more of a big wing.(?) So if the RS Brown-Ferguson so he is effectively a '21, and can bring in Clingan (who seems like someone who can step in day 1), that leaves 5 really good bigs all looking for minutes in 22-23, right? Clingan also maybe can be a stretch 4. But the others seem like throw back, rim protecting big men. That type of roster construction would be a real interesting study in contrast to a team like Creighton last year, that just spreads you out completely and fires away.

Any way you slice it DH and Uconn is bringing some new energy and undeniable talent to the league. I think that's a real good thing. I've always believed a rising tide lifts all boats.

It lifts the sturdy boats, but sinks the shoddy ones. No reason at this point to think anyone won't be able to keep up, but I do think there's a possibility this could lessen the year over year fluidity and create a more defined pecking order (or more consistent tiers).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby jbarajas0490 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Well that does it for the state of Wisconsin's 2021 high school class on 24/7. Wojo nowhere to be seen as usual, we have Duke ( not official but cmon), Iowa State, Maryland and Texas. The 5th player has Cal, USC and Kstate in his final list. Would be nice to see Wojo be able to out recruit P5 schools in state and alot of these kids are less than 2 hour drive from campus. But I guess thats too much to ask of Wojo. I mean last time he got local kids he ran them out. And one of them went to a Michigan school!! Lol. Gotta love Wojo. There's always 2022.
jbarajas0490

Postby Demon22 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Four-star SF David Jones makes his decision on Monday.

Final eight are Illinois, Louisville, Oregon, Maryland, Pitt, Houston, Clemson, and DePaul.

Illinois has been considered the favorite, but there seems to be some momentum swinging DePaul's way. If he' commits, he'd be the 3rd four-star commit of DePaul's 2021 class.
Demon22

Postby Jet915 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Demon22 wrote:Four-star SF David Jones makes his decision on Monday.

Final eight are Illinois, Louisville, Oregon, Maryland, Pitt, Houston, Clemson, and DePaul.

Illinois has been considered the favorite, but there seems to be some momentum swinging DePaul's way. If he' commits, he'd be the 3rd four-star commit of DePaul's 2021 class.

Yeah, saw 4 predictions today, 2 for Illinois and 2 for Depaul......Brandon Weston looks like Seton Hall.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Brandon Weston (#63 on 247 composite) commits to Seton Hall! Congrats.
Jet915

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Jet915 wrote:Brandon Weston (#63 on 247 composite) commits to Seton Hall! Congrats.

Shaping up to be a solid class. With that, 247 bumps SHU's 2021 class up to #10 in the country (3 in the Big East).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board