How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: How Hot Are Our Coaches Seats?

Postby NovaBall » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Is Stever sayings nova has let the conference down? This guy has such a warped sense of reality it is very humorous.

Take nova out of the equation the last two years and the big east naysayers would be much more vocal.

Nova wasn't even ranked to start the 2013-14 season yet has carried the conference mantle the past two years. Only Doug McDermott has contributed as much.
NovaBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NovaBall » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Anyway, this is such a whacky thread for 2 reasons:
1. There is really only 1 coach on the hot seats, and
2. Some people have this idea that new hires have more job security than long term established coaches. That's nutty.

Here is the list by tiers:

Hot seat:
Willard - probably would be surprised if he's back next year

Have a lot to prove and many doubters:
Dave leaitao. I think most questioned this hire, and I don't think his leash will be too long

Wait and see approach
Wojo
Mullin
No reason to doubt them at this point, but they need to have some results before anybody can say their jobs are actually secure long term

Done enough to feel comfortable
Holtman.

Guys who aren't going to be fired any time soon
Cooley
Mack
I put these guys just ahead of holtman in terms of stability. Still could do a little more to get the "for life" status

Guys who have a solid career long opportunity at their school
McDermott
JT3
These guys will stay as long as they want

Guy who will have his school name their court after him
Jay wright
Best chance of the bunch to make the hall of fame from this bunch. Another decade like the last and he would probably be in.
NovaBall

Postby MUBoxer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:48 pm

"Who the hell cares what all the others think" I'm glad you aren't part of marketing the big east.

In the end it comes down to March, when people think 2011 Kemba walker is synonymous with that season. Now nobody seems to remember that the only two teams that advanced past that weekend were the two teams tied for 9th in the BIg east.

In the short term nova did great and has helped us tremendously, long term less so. Long term people are only gonna remember that just X did anything these first two years.

Also this whole losing to the championship team is a suckers way to feel better.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:43 pm

People in glass houses MUBoxer...and what do all the folks think about Marq's contribution these past 2 years?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Gotta love Villanova fan thinking that the tournament is meaningless and regular season is all that matters.

Marquette has delivered less bad press than Villanova has. What is Villanova known by these last 2 years? Picollo girl. that's not good.
stever20

Postby marquette » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:41 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:People in glass houses MUBoxer...and what do all the folks think about Marq's contribution these past 2 years?

Not to get involved in the flame war but...in the rolling 6 year period that NCAA units are paid out Marquette has contributed 11 NCAA tourney units, Nova 8. Going back to 2009, your final four year which is no longer being paid out, we both have 13. Even with consecutive missed tourneys. How's that for a contribution?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MUBoxer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:33 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:People in glass houses MUBoxer...and what do all the folks think about Marq's contribution these past 2 years?

What would you like to talk about? Because if you look since your final four MU has added much more as a program than you despite your 2 seed in 2010 and 2014 and 1 seed in 2014 (plus the two other appearances) do you know why? What could have possibly happened in that time? Listen we both know instead of actually talking about the argument I put forth you tried to change subjects and deflect it onto MU's lack of success these past two years. That's not a counter argument that's really knowing when you're cornered and not wanting to admit it. It's cool, go to MUscoop I've lost plenty of times after things I've been arguing about.

So in finality there is no arguing nova has under performed these past two years (and because I want to make y'all remember 2010 as well ill throw that in) there's no good excuse for having 3 top two seeds and not even getting a sweet 16 out of it, or even pulling a good run with the two years you guys had lower seeds. Face it nova has under performed. Call out MU all you want idgaf I'll counter it all with weird Taylor made stats that'll show were right behind you by an inch all time (without cheating in our history) or on you level.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:56 am

I find this argument absolutely hilarious that fans of a program that hasn't sniffed the post season since this conference was formed, are expressing how disappointed they are in one of the programs that has played the most tourney games since it was formed. And questioning the contributions of the one team that has remained consistently relevant in the Top 10. We have done our part. We were expected to finish 4th in the league in 2013-14, not first. We ended up 16-2 and in the Top 5 in the rankings and RPI. Yeah, terrible job there.

Again, for all of you fans that are "disappointed" in Nova's representation of this conference, I have a suggestion... How about your team steps up and earns a one or two seed on your own and does some damage before worrying about how you've been let down by the standard bearer in this league the past 2 seasons.

And to be accurate my understanding is that none of us are collecting on tourney credits from what occurred in the old Big East. We forfeited those when we left the others. So according to my count Marq is currently along with SHU and DePaul as the only current BE teams not contributing tourney credits. When should we start that ticker tape parade?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby billyjack » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:33 am

stever20 wrote:Gotta love Villanova fan thinking that the tournament is meaningless and regular season is all that matters.

Marquette has delivered less bad press than Villanova has. What is Villanova known by these last 2 years? Picollo girl. that's not good.

Dimwits only look at the NCAA's to determine conference or team strength. Villanova in 2 years has non-conf wins over Kansas, Iowa, Syracuse, Michigan, Illinois, and VCU, plus Temple twice. And they've gone 62-8 over the last 2 years, and 32-4 in a Top-3 power conference, with a BET championship. And they continually add 4 and 5 stars to their roster.
Providence
billyjack

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:00 am

I am going to jump out of this discussion as it is going nowhere.

Stever's comments mean nothing to me b/c he is an AAC troll and he's playing the part in this thread. I have b!tch slapped him down so many times on this board when he tries to remind us all how poorly we've done as a conference and how we are on par with the AAC and A10. He's a tool. We all know it.

Now to the true fans of other programs I will never cease to come to the defense of the school and BB program that I love if statements are made intended to denigrate it in some way. When I see comments like "disappointment to the league" and "greatest underachievers in the league,' "chokers" etc., I am going to go bat-shit crazy. That will be especially so if/when coming from a fan(s) of a team that has done very little to help our collective effort to build a top notch conference.

It's great being a fan of this program. They make me proud. Go back and watch the Nova games. No one shows up other teams. No showboating, no trash talking. They just go out and play hard and play well. They are an absolute joy to watch. Jay Wright does it the right way--he is a tremendous coach, leader and teacher of student-athletes. He is extremely complimentary and gracious to other coaches and programs in this league, and I would even suggest he may currently be the face of this conference. He promotes our collective interest constantly. If you're hater b/c of that, blame the media, not him.

Now we V'nova fans clearly have been disappointed in the early exits. We have high expectations so naturally it's tough to watch your team fall early in the tourney. But moving forward, all we can hope is that come March we are again in a position to make a run, and then hope for the best. Jay has already gotten us to a FF, and we are one of 15, maybe 20 teams that have a legitimate shot again this year. That's all I can ask for. And if all of the hopes of the BE in the tourney are pinned to V'nova then we have a much bigger problem.

What I find most humorous---and as I mentioned earlier in the thread--is the comments are coming from fans of programs (SJU and MArq) that have not shown up much these first two years. Get your own houses in order before talking about how others have "let you down." If anything you owe Nova, X, PC, CU, G'town, Butler some thanks for representing the conference well while your own programs have fallen off the radar.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board