The Case for Dayton

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Case for Dayton

Postby XU85 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:XuDash, I don't take it as a disparagement of Dayton's program, just an unfortunate reality.

It will be interesting to see if X can keep coaches now in the BE. Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see Mack in the same league as Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and Miller. It would have been interesting to see if any of them stayed if you were in the BE at the time, I don't think Gillen or Prosser move, but still think Matta and Miller do, but who knows.

BTW, I actually think Dayton's run will make the X/Dayton rivalry more calm if you guys choose to start it again. We needed a little success.

Look at it this way, if Archie leaves at some point, it means you've probably enjoyed some pretty good basketball.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XBand15 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:XuDash, I don't take it as a disparagement of Dayton's program, just an unfortunate reality.

It will be interesting to see if X can keep coaches now in the BE. Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see Mack in the same league as Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and Miller. It would have been interesting to see if any of them stayed if you were in the BE at the time, I don't think Gillen or Prosser move, but still think Matta and Miller do, but who knows.

BTW, I actually think Dayton's run will make the X/Dayton rivalry more calm if you guys choose to start it again. We needed a little success.

I mean Archie was gonna leave eventually. It has nothing to do with Dayton and everything to do with him wanting to move to a bigger opportunity. Sean did the same thing to X. I'm sure Dayton will be able to replace him with someone who will do a good job. And in regards to X, I think that they will be able to keep Chris Mack. He is just more of a Xavier guy having played here and all. But certainly could end up being wrong about that. I mean hell, who ever saw Buzz leaving of VT of all places. But you never know. Just interesting to watch. I do think that this run can only help Dayton in the long run when it come to BE expansion when it happens somewhere down the road, epecially if you guys can make it to the Elite Eight or farther. Post-season success simple matters. I'm just glad for all the UD fan's that you were finally able to get back to the Sweet 16. Its always fun when you have success in the tournament. So hopefully you guys can win a couple more. Going to be interesting to see how or if this effects any of the expansion talk in the future.
XBand15

Postby Hoopfan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:42 pm

As long as the dukes, Arizonans, kentuckys, etc of the world need coaches programs like ours will be a "stepping stone". We just need to hope for two things. Our coaches arnt leaving for middle the pack teams like buzz, Gregory, etc because that would lead me to believe they didnt bring the success that was anticipated. Second, hope they have groomed an assistant to take over and not keep doing things the UD way of bringing in a whole new coaching staff each change
Hoopfan

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Hoopfan wrote:As long as the dukes, Arizonans, kentuckys, etc of the world need coaches programs like ours will be a "stepping stone". We just need to hope for two things. Our coaches arnt leaving for middle the pack teams like buzz, Gregory, etc because that would lead me to believe they didnt bring the success that was anticipated. Second, hope they have groomed an assistant to take over and not keep doing things the UD way of bringing in a whole new coaching staff each change

That is an excellent point about succession planning. It can only help a program moving forward, assuming the right people are in the two primary seats.

Xavier has had recent success with this: Matta to Miller, then Miller to Mack.

As far as Chris Mack is concerned, I have to believe that Greg Christopher has him on a compensation track that makes sense to Chris. I believe Chris is already a solid coach who is on his way to becoming a very good coach. He obviously is an effective recruiter. He has had to work through issues stemming from last season and this season (the brawl in the season before last season when X still made it to the S16, and the loss of key personnel (mainly Wells)).

Unlike Sean Miller, Chris is a Cincinnati guy and a Xavier alumnus. He also now is operating from within the Big East. I'm hopeful that Xavier has found its version of Mark Few and that success will be sustained.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby augkash » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:04 am

Daytona coach not going anywhere. Just got a raise today
augkash

Postby BillikensWin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 am

augkash wrote:Daytona coach not going anywhere. Just got a raise today

I don't think the extension is going to stop the rumor mill.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby BEwannabe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32 pm

What it does for UD is give them a bigger contract $ break $ clause. If Archie leaves his new boss pays UD to break the contract, UD had this with both Clemson and Georgia Tech. Archie gets a raise and I guarantee UD got bigger financial protection. I think Archie will be like Sean when he moves and it will be bigger than wake or Marquette. He has a good team returning and at least 2 scholarships available to fine tune his roster. UD's young players are very good and to the man are getting better every week.
BEwannabe

Postby BEX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 am

Archie might be the number one candidate for the Marquette job now.
BEX

Postby murphy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 pm

BEX wrote:Archie might be the number one candidate for the Marquette job now.

the problem here is that why in the world would Miller want to coach in the new little big east - a step down maybe, not a step up at all.
He will wait for someone like NC State or a good B10 school. If he went to MU, it would be like the dead end that Brian Gregory found at Georgia Tech, or Ollie Purnells bad choice to go from Dayton to Clemson to DePaul.
murphy

Postby ivet » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:55 pm

murphy wrote:
BEX wrote:Archie might be the number one candidate for the Marquette job now.

the problem here is that why in the world would Miller want to coach in the new little big east - a step down maybe, not a step up at all.
He will wait for someone like NC State or a good B10 school. If he went to MU, it would be like the dead end that Brian Gregory found at Georgia Tech, or Ollie Purnells bad choice to go from Dayton to Clemson to DePaul.

For the money Duh! Purnell is making 2.3 million a year. He hit the jackpot with DePaul. Dayton better pony up some serious dough- even then, if the BE came knocking, you know Dayton will be already dressed and have their bags already packed.
ivet

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board