Christmas Day in Omaha 12/25/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Christmas Day in Omaha 12/25/22

Postby Demon22 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:33 pm

Omaha1 wrote:From Twitter:

Creighton's Christmas Day victory over DePaul scored 2.99 million viewers on FOX - the network's most-watched college hoops game EVER

@DePaulHoops - @BluejayMBB is the most-watched college basketball game on any network this season

DePaul = Ratings
Demon22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:01 pm

While undoubtedly inflated thanks to the lead-in from the Packers/Dolphins game, this is still a major positive for the conference. With no disrespect to DePaul or Creighton, the fact that they were able to slide into this slot and receive the Fox cushion of the NFL and offer a high-energy game on TV (and have 17k on TV) only adds additional value to the Big East. I hope the league continues with an annual game on Christmas on Fox, as it clearly provides ratings to our network, and there should be NIL opportunities for all of the players for playing on holiday.

If the Knicks aren't selected for Christmas, or are put on the road, St. John's at MSG against a UConn, Seton Hall or Providence would be an excellent matchup for TV.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:27 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:While undoubtedly inflated thanks to the lead-in from the Packers/Dolphins game, this is still a major positive for the conference. With no disrespect to DePaul or Creighton, the fact that they were able to slide into this slot and receive the Fox cushion of the NFL and offer a high-energy game on TV (and have 17k on TV) only adds additional value to the Big East. I hope the league continues with an annual game on Christmas on Fox, as it clearly provides ratings to our network, and there should be NIL opportunities for all of the players for playing on holiday.

If the Knicks aren't selected for Christmas, or are put on the road, St. John's at MSG against a UConn, Seton Hall or Providence would be an excellent matchup for TV.

You beat me to it. This could become a great thing for the Big East - Christmas Day at MSG. There are enough teams nearby that if St. John's hosted annually at the Garden and you cycled through nearby league schools it wouldn't cause as much difficulty for road teams to play on Christmas if there wasn't overnight travel involved.
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:57 am

It'll be interesting to see the upcoming years what happens with the NFL. Do they stake a claim to Christmas every year for tripleheaders?

looking at Calendar:
2023- Monday- definitely easy to see a triple header like this year.
2024- Wednesday- that'd be really tough. Teams would have had to play the prior Saturday IMO to make it work.
2025- Thursday- gets easier for sure.
2026- Friday- easier
2027- Saturday- easier
It's not until 2033 that Christmas comes on a Sunday again by the way.

Also the question becomes- lets say Fox next year has the 4:30pm game. Is the Big East game rated as well with no NFL lead in? I'd guess probably not.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:38 pm

I heard some say in the new NFL TV, FOX gets a Christmas game every year.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board