OT - WORLD CUP

The home for Big East hoops

Re: OT - WORLD CUP

Postby sju88grad » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:03 am

billyjack wrote:Excellent World Cup action today.
The Argentines got a little out of control with a player blasting the ball at the Dutch bench.

Both matches came down to PK's... super drama.

Insane games! Before it started, this was probably the least excited I’ve ever been for the World Cup. Between the location, time of year, etc., I just wasn’t that excited. These games have been amazing. Incredible drama. I’m hooked!
sju88grad

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby thebigeXpress » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:54 am

What happens, inevitably, is once the USA is eliminated the interest wanes and very few people remain interested in the rest of the games. The USA should have a very mature and experienced team for the next World Cup in 2026. I don't have a favorite for the final although I will probably pull for Argentina as I would like a team from the western hemisphere win it. The last team to win the World Cup from the new world was Brazil in 2002.
thebigeXpress

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:43 am

Speaking of Brazil, what in the heck has happened to them? Since that semifinal vs Germany in 2014, they are only 8-6-2 in their 16 matches in the World Cup, with a -2 point differential(a lot of that due to the 7-1 drubbing the Germans put on them in the 2014 semifinal match).
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:41 pm

That was one of the greatest winner take all games in any sport that I have ever seen. Every moment was breathtaking and the pendulum swinging back and forth was heart stopping theater.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby billyjack » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:21 pm

Omaha1 wrote:That was one of the greatest winner take all games in any sport that I have ever seen. Every moment was breathtaking and the pendulum swinging back and forth was heart stopping theater.

Incredible drama... we watched the Spanish-language feed on Telemundo, even though none of us are fluent. Amazing drama..!
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:05 pm

billyjack wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:That was one of the greatest winner take all games in any sport that I have ever seen. Every moment was breathtaking and the pendulum swinging back and forth was heart stopping theater.

Incredible drama... we watched the Spanish-language feed on Telemundo, even though none of us are fluent. Amazing drama..!

That’s awesome. I was trying to think of similar drama and came up with these real quick:
Nova over UNC buzzer beater
Brady OT over Falcons
Seahawks intercepted by Pats in end zone
Cubs-Indians game 7

Lots more I’m sure but those recent examples came to my mind.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby sju88grad » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:45 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

That’s awesome. I was trying to think of similar drama and came up with these real quick:
Brady OT over Falcons
Cubs-Indians game 7

For me, LAFC beating Philly in the MLS Cup this year was the best sporting event I’ve ever attended. If you missed the game, check out the highlights on YouTube. Similarities to today’s WC final, obviously not the same stakes but incredible drama….
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:53 pm

Have to put the 1999 Women's World Cup Final with US and China on the list for sure.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:07 am

what a game! I think the most exciting WC final I ever seen

I always root for teams in the Americas. Glad the cup return to this side of the Atlantic for the first time since 2002!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:24 am

sju88grad wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

Brady OT over Falcons
Cubs-Indians game 7

For me, LAFC beating Philly in the MLS Cup this year was the best sporting event I’ve ever attended. If you missed the game, check out the highlights on YouTube. Similarities to today’s WC final, obviously not the same stakes but incredible drama….

That was also an incredible match, and another one that deserved a better ending than being decided by pks. I get why they don't, but I wish knockout matches (or at least finals) would be decided hockey style, where they keep playing until there's a winner. The penalty shootout is just never a satisfying way to decide a champion, imo.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board