(5) Friday Big East Games 11/18/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Friday Big East Games 11/18/22

Postby MUPanther » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:17 am

What a rough day. Xavier let one get away. Then, could've took the game at the end. Villanova was never really in the game and had the shot to win it at the end. DePaul & Georgetown losing to two mid-majors is rough.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:27 am

Seems like Big East may have it's first true down year that I can remember. That being said, still have another month of non con to see things play out.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:30 am

Everyone needs to relax. EVERY major conference has had some head scratching losses. Look at some of the other scores out there. Lots of parity; not seeing late 60’s / early 70’s UCLA out there.

My take is in years past we have patted ourselves on the back with early season OOC success. And collectively we’ve crapped the bed in March. We have teams with new coaches that just need to gel. For Nova we need to get Whitmore healthy and Hope Moore gets back and can play anywhere near his talent level. MSU lost to Top 5 Gonzaga by 1 (prob should have won), beat Top 5 UK, shot well over their norm from 3 last night, yet we had the ball with a chance to win on their home floor, with arguably our two best players on the bench. Not a moral victory guy but I just want to see us build for March and so should everyone else who expects to make the dance.

I will say something the Jays fans don’t want to hear…after watching the Musketeers last night, I think they have a higher ceiling for ultimate success than anyone other BE team (as currently constituted…I reserve the right to change that opinion should Whitmore and Moore return). They need to clean up some things—tighten up their D, figure out each other on O…but that’s a team that might be a big problem in 2 months. You can see that Miller is going to a build a much tougher and cohesive team than Steele and that was the problem with X the past few years.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:00 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Everyone needs to relax. EVERY major conference has had some head scratching losses. Look at some of the other scores out there. Lots of parity; not seeing late 60’s / early 70’s UCLA out there.

My take is in years past we have patted ourselves on the back with early season OOC success. And collectively we’ve crapped the bed in March. We have teams with new coaches that just need to gel. For Nova we need to get Whitmore healthy and Hope Moore gets back and can play anywhere near his talent level. MSU lost to Top 5 Gonzaga by 1 (prob should have won), beat Top 5 UK, shot well over their norm from 3 last night, yet we had the ball with a chance to win on their home floor, with arguably our two best players on the bench. Not a moral victory guy but I just want to see us build for March and so should everyone else who expects to make the dance.

I will say something the Jays fans don’t want to hear…after watching the Musketeers last night, I think they have a higher ceiling for ultimate success than anyone other BE team (as currently constituted…I reserve the right to change that opinion should Whitmore and Moore return). They need to clean up some things—tighten up their D, figure out each other on O…but that’s a team that might be a big problem in 2 months. You can see that Miller is going to a build a much tougher and cohesive team than Steele and that was the problem with X the past few years.

Agree completely. Went into the Gavitt games without UConn or CU playing, a diminished Nova on the road at MSU and X playing the projected Big Ten champ. Retooling Marquette and Butler showed well on the road, Johnnies smoked crappy Nebraska, DePaul smoked crappy Minnesota. Only really disappointing loss to me was the Hall, but their offense is a work in progress.

No need to panic.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby billyjack » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:10 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Everyone needs to relax. EVERY major conference has had some head scratching losses. Look at some of the other scores out there. Lots of parity; not seeing late 60’s / early 70’s UCLA out there.

Agree completely. Went into the Gavitt games without UConn or CU playing, a diminished Nova on the road at MSU and X playing the projected Big Ten champ. Retooling Marquette and Butler showed well on the road, Johnnies smoked crappy Nebraska, DePaul smoked crappy Minnesota. Only really disappointing loss to me was the Hall, but their offense is a work in progress.

No need to panic.

Great posts guys.
Providence
billyjack

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:56 am

hmmm. I said something similar irt Xavier, back in August.

https://bluenotes2.com/2022/08/15/15th- ... 3-edition/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Husky_U » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:05 am

Not ideal, but lots of resume building remaining with MTEs & BE-Big12 Challenge.
Husky_U

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:30 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Seems like Big East may have it's first true down year that I can remember. That being said, still have another month of non con to see things play out.

realistically it's about 2 more weeks with the meat of things. The MTE's and the Big 12 challenges are next 2 weeks. After that, it's not all that much. The difference this year from prior years with these is the league doesn't have the good base that it normally has prior to these.
stever20

Postby Xuperman » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:41 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I will say something the Jays fans don’t want to hear…after watching the Musketeers last night, I think they have a higher ceiling for ultimate success than anyone other BE team (as currently constituted…I reserve the right to change that opinion should Whitmore and Moore return). They need to clean up some things—tighten up their D, figure out each other on O…but that’s a team that might be a big problem in 2 months. You can see that Miller is going to a build a much tougher and cohesive team than Steele and that was the problem with X the past few years.

Well Gumby, if you take a closer look, X has zero room to lose 1 single production guy....for any reason. The frontcourt depth does not look to have any good possibility of any significant development going forward, BECAUSE there simply are no realistic options. Edwards status does have a "mysterious" feel to it, but if HUNTER can not get his shit together, the BEast will expose us. We have no one else.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board