Gavitt Games ending?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gavitt Games ending?

Postby Jet915 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:23 am

I'm thinking Gavitt Games are on hold until we renew with Fox, if we go back with Fox, I have to believe they would advocate renewal of series.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am

Jet915 wrote:I'm thinking Gavitt Games are on hold until we renew with Fox, if we go back with Fox, I have to believe they would advocate renewal of series.

possible, but I could see the Big Ten wanting those to just end naturally. With 20 conference games, and the exempt tournaments you're already up to 22-23 games, with only 10 home games. For teams like Michigan St and Ohio St, they have things like the Champions Classic and the CBS games thing- that are another game.

And you wonder if Big Ten goes to 22 conference games even.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:09 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I'm thinking Gavitt Games are on hold until we renew with Fox, if we go back with Fox, I have to believe they would advocate renewal of series.

possible, but I could see the Big Ten wanting those to just end naturally. With 20 conference games, and the exempt tournaments you're already up to 22-23 games, with only 10 home games. For teams like Michigan St and Ohio St, they have things like the Champions Classic and the CBS games thing- that are another game.

If I had to guess, Big10 probably thinks 1 conference challenge is enough, and SEC probably has similar thoughts when they get to 16 teams. If the pairings end up being SEC/ACC and Big10/Big12, I guess BE is stuck trying to work something out with PAC if it really wants to get involved, which kinda sucks with no real rivalries. TBH I don't see a real need for conference challenges for the BE.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:12 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:

If I had to guess, Big10 probably thinks 1 conference challenge is enough, and SEC probably has similar thoughts when they get to 16 teams. If the pairings end up being SEC/ACC and Big10/Big12, I guess BE is stuck trying to work something out with PAC if it really wants to get involved, which kinda sucks with no real rivalries. TBH I don't see a real need for conference challenges for the BE.

Right, and who knows what the Pac will wind up being long term.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:29 pm

stever20 wrote:
Right, and who knows what the Pac will wind up being long term.

PAC has stunk OOC for a long time, but it wouldn't be so bad if they can work out a limited slate featuring projected best 8 from each conference. It'd eliminate a situation like this season with no Creighton or UCONN participating in the Gavitt games. I also like that PAC teams seem vulnerable early, as opposed to typically older Big10 teams featuring 8 super seniors. Losing both LA teams is going to suck, but basketball wise it shouldn't be too hard to replace them.
supernova
kayako

Postby Husky_U » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:47 pm

I think a Football 5 challenge is important, even if it's the PAC minus the LA schools. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.
Husky_U

Postby hoops22 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 pm

Have to agree. I think the optics are better having a challenge with a Power Football conference, and winning some games. As an example, St John's has beaten Syracuse and Nebraska this year, two not very good basketball teams from power conferences. But it still looks better, then had they beaten two higher rated mid majors instead. Those Football 5 scalps always look good on the resume.
hoops22

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Husky_U wrote:I think a Football 5 challenge is important, even if it's the PAC minus the LA schools. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

The question is will the PAC still be with much quality? Will they be able to keep Arizona and Oregon?
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:42 pm

I highly, highly doubt the GG will continue. If UCLA, USC and Michigan St didn't want them years ago then it's unlikely they'd continue going forward. Pac probably won't even exist in a few years.

Time to get over the ESPN disdain and see if they can get us a challenge with the ACC/SEC. I'm not certain they could, but I'd say the odds are better than a GG extension. Regarding the ACC, there would I'm sure be a ton of viewer interest in that given how many rivalries there are, and money talks.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:06 pm

The Gavitt Games may end, but it's not like Big East teams are going to cease playing Big Ten teams.

Creighton/Nebraska
Georgetown/Maryland
Marquette/Wisconsin
Hall/Rutgers
Butler/Purdue or Indiana
X/Ohio State

There are plenty of in-state rivalry games that occur either annually, or at least regularly, that can still fit the B1G/BE Challenge (heck, many of these games have occurred under the Gavitt Games banner). I think we will still see a number of games annually between the Big East and Big Ten, IMO.
GoldenWarrior11

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board