NIT - Florida @ Xavier - Sunday 1:00 PM

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NIT - Florida @ Xavier - Sunday 1:00 PM

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:44 pm

XUFan09 wrote:NIT basketball is just fun exhibition games where if your team wins, you get to watch another game. Cool. I appreciate that it's led to ESPN having to talk some about a major Big East hire.

It can build though for next year. So many times you see NIT champion return the following year and they do really well. This is a bit of an unusual situation obviously with the coaching change.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:00 am

stever20 wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:NIT basketball is just fun exhibition games where if your team wins, you get to watch another game. Cool. I appreciate that it's led to ESPN having to talk some about a major Big East hire.

It can build though for next year. So many times you see NIT champion return the following year and they do really well. This is a bit of an unusual situation obviously with the coaching change.

I think this gets overstated. There doesn't appear to be too much of a connection between NIT performance and success the following year. The games are also rather chill, so there's not the intensity you would expect in a single-elimination tournament that would be experience for the future.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:20 am

Whether if it helps build for next year or not, I'd think an NIT title is a nice consolation prize. It also pads your record because it certainly isn't exhibition.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board