Seton Hall - Willard Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Seton Hall - Willard Thread...

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:51 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Thought I heard rumors that the coach “still in the tourney” accepting the Maryland job was Mike Brey, not Willard. Brey and his wife are from the DC area; ND is a UA school like MD. Boomer E., notable alum that may be in the know, stated that it wasn’t Willard they were targeting. Is there a chance there is a different school Willard has his eye on?

Heard that too and it's certainly possible...there seems to be a lot of smoke around MD right now though. All we really know it's that Willard's postgame presser made it sound like he's already got one foot out the door. Perhaps a couple tournament wins convinced Brey to stay at ND?

Whatever it is, I'm honestly rooting for Willard to take another job right now. I have nothing but appreciation for what he's done to this program, taking it from the Gonzo-era dumpter fire to a perennial NCAA tournament team, but things seem to have gotten a little stale and I'm excited about what Holloway brings. It won't happen overnight, but I think his presence will bring a level of excitement that can spark the program to the next level.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:49 pm

well... at least Willard isn't full of shi#. He is keeping it real
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:10 am

NY Post article confirms it's pretty much a done deal:
https://nypost.com/2022/03/20/shaheen-holloway-isnt-long-for-saint-peters/
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:21 am

Good run for Willard at Hall. Wish him well at Maryland.

Having said that, the Pirates getting Holloway after his Cinderella run ends (hopefully not for another two weeks), might be the biggest coaching hire of the offseason, which would include Xavier getting Sean Miller.

Huge congrats, Pirates fans. Holloway will kill it at Seton Hall.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:11 am

Hall2012 wrote:NY Post article confirms it's pretty much a done deal:

I kinda hope Willard goes to Maryland. He did great things at Seton Hall but it feels like the program stalled the last couple of years punctuated by that disaster on Friday.
Jet915

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:37 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:NY Post article confirms it's pretty much a done deal:

I kinda hope Willard goes to Maryland. He did great things at Seton Hall but it feels like the program stalled the last couple of years punctuated by that disaster on Friday.

From what I'm hearing, it's more of a when than if. Seton Hall knew Willard was gone and got to Holloway before he blew up this weekend. It may not have mattered. As a former player and alum who loves SHU, Holloway might have chosen the Pirates anyway, but getting ahead of the pack certainly doesn't hurt. Regardless, it'll be a great look for the school and the conference having the new hottest "up and coming" coaching name choose Seton Hall.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:44 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Good run for Willard at Hall. Wish him well at Maryland.

Having said that, the Pirates getting Holloway after his Cinderella run ends (hopefully not for another two weeks), might be the biggest coaching hire of the offseason, which would include Xavier getting Sean Miller.

Huge congrats, Pirates fans. Holloway will kill it at Seton Hall.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Bringing in Holloway gives instant hype to the Seton Hall and Big East. That would be a superb hire! Hopefully Holloway takes them even deeper next week.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Bogg » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:28 pm

Hall2012 wrote:As a former player and alum who loves SHU, Holloway might have chosen the Pirates anyway, but getting ahead of the pack certainly doesn't hurt. Regardless, it'll be a great look for the school and the conference having the new hottest "up and coming" coaching name choose Seton Hall.

Yea, a Queens guy who went to high school in north Jersey, to SHU for college, and has a coaching resume that's Iona/SHU/St Peters kind of screams "greater NY lifer". Seton Hall is likely very safely at the top of his wish list. I'd be very surprised if he opted to head down south or to the Midwest if given the choice between that or any of the SHU/St John's/Rutgers jobs. The alumni thing just seals it.
Bogg

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 am

Bogg wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:As a former player and alum who loves SHU, Holloway might have chosen the Pirates anyway, but getting ahead of the pack certainly doesn't hurt. Regardless, it'll be a great look for the school and the conference having the new hottest "up and coming" coaching name choose Seton Hall.

Yea, a Queens guy who went to high school in north Jersey, to SHU for college, and has a coaching resume that's Iona/SHU/St Peters kind of screams "greater NY lifer". Seton Hall is likely very safely at the top of his wish list. I'd be very surprised if he opted to head down south or to the Midwest if given the choice between that or any of the SHU/St John's/Rutgers jobs. The alumni thing just seals it.

BIG and SEC $$$ could have outweighed a lot of that, but Georgia, Misery and Florida already filled their openings, along with Maryland apparently. Congrats to the Hall!
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:12 am

Maryland makes Willard official:

https://twitter.com/TerrapinHoops/statu ... xDVkQ&s=19

Obviously SHU can't do the same until SPU's season ends.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board