Put Up or Shut Up Time

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Put Up or Shut Up Time

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:49 pm

kayako wrote:It seems like far too many fans of college basketball define sweet 16 as the bench mark of success for their team. But as a conference, yeah we should be sending multiple second weekend teams in most years. Just keep flooding the field with 6 or 7 teams each year and it'll happen.

But Lately I'm starting to think that lack of deep runs in the tourney isn't the biggest reason that this version of BE isn't getting the respect it deserves. I mean even after respectable ooc results year after year, we're somewhat of an afterthought nationally.

I think the BE's overall talent level isn't respected nationally in part because the top team doesn't recruit explosive athletes or imposing centers. I think that'll change as UCONN is recruiting well and in the process of replacing AAC recruits with what looks like UCONN type of athletes we've gotten used to in the old BE. If you look at Nova's incoming class, I think Jay has realized that he needs more athleticism, too. Whitmore and Armstrong are 2 of the best athletes in the country. Georgetown needs to wake up and maybe Shaka or Creighton is on the verge of recruiting stud athletes. Perception relies heavily on the rosters of top 3 or 4 teams.

New Big East has always lacked two things, 5 star recruits and tournament success. By the metrics we have been a top 4 conference almost every year, so its not all bad news, and Villanova winning 2 champs made them an undeniable power. But the reality is, most fans really only follow the top teams, and the best 3 teams of the Big East often haven't been on par with the best 3 of other power conferences. Nova isn't going anywhere though, UConn is ascending and Creighton/Marquette are no joke. Xavier pretty much lost its spot near the top but that's just how it is. I think the short-term outlook of the Big East is strong, I'd be surprised if things took a major downturn. Long term who knows?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:03 pm

NCAA Tourney units (20)
Prov - 2nd R (2)
SHall - 2nd R (2)
Marq - SS (3)
Cr8n - EE (4)
Nova - EE (4)
UConn - FF (5)

Really like that MW bracket. Jays sneak past SDSU. Playing an overconfident KU in Dallas,
Then both Iowa and Wisky in Chi-town. What's not to love.
Even if Lil Cr8n only repeats a SS, that's still 19 Units for the Big East.

When in doubt...Be Bold! - gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:07 pm

One thing that will be interesting to see is how the reffing is in the tourney. If they're big on freedom of movement I think that could be a big problem for BE teams.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:24 pm

stever20 wrote:One thing that will be interesting to see is how the reffing is in the tourney. If they're big on freedom of movement I think that could be a big problem for BE teams.

A problem for some teams more than others.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby TBC Alum » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 pm

One game at a time, so first round only. My heart says 6-0, my head 5-1.

Head says SHU goes out this round. Heart says they have a really bad taste in their mouth from BET and they come out hungry.

I love this league and feel it has prepared us all well.

Definitely drinking the Kool-Aid
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:00 pm

stever20 wrote:Jay Bilas picked the entire tourney....
UConn Sweet 16
Marquette 1st rd
Seton Hall 2nd rd
Nova Elite 8
Providence 1st rd
Creighton 2nd rd

going back to that over/under thing- that would be 13 units or just over.

So chalky it was cringe af reading it.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:21 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
New Big East has always lacked two things, 5 star recruits and tournament success. By the metrics we have been a top 4 conference almost every year, so its not all bad news, and Villanova winning 2 champs made them an undeniable power. But the reality is, most fans really only follow the top teams, and the best 3 teams of the Big East often haven't been on par with the best 3 of other power conferences.

You make a great point about best 3 teams. BE's 2nd and 3rd tiers teams are more than good enough, but we haven't really had that 2nd and 3rd FINAL 4 contender teams. Creighton came close a couple of times.

I can't agree with 5 star recruits. B1G don't get many either, but their 4 stars become national stars more often than BE 4 star players. Just looking at the past 3 seasons:

Johnny Davis - 3 stars
Keegan Murray - 3 stars
Jaden Ivey - 4 stars
EJ Lidell - 4 stars
Ayo Dosumu - 4 stars
Luka Garza - 4 stars
Kofi Cockburn - 4 stars
Hunter Dickenson - 4 stars
Cassius Winston - 4 stars
Jalen Smith - 5 stars

Maybe the B10's just been better at developing players? How do they churn out so many more all-americans when recruiting at similarly rated players as the BE?
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board