Martin
O'Connell

All-Frosh Team:
Nembhard
Mohammed
Colby Jones
Kaluma
Alexander
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Re: BE POY, COY, NCOY, & All-BE Predictions

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby outlawwales23 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:00 pm

McDermott SHOULD be the COY. But he won't be -- it pretty much just always goes to whichever team wins. I love Cooley, and the Friars were picked 7th. But that was a stupid preseason pick for a team that returned virtually every single player of consequence and came back expected to be among the most veteran and best teams. The Jays were picked 8th, and that made sense -- lost every starter and meaningful contributor, started two freshman (with another as the 6th man) and two transfers. Lost multiple guys to season ending injuries. Mac did the most impressive coaching job this year and it's really not even close.

Kalkbrenner should be the DPOY. But he won't be -- for some reason they vote based on one isolated stat and ignore everything else. Tyshon Alexander was robbed of it two years ago for that very reason. He's the best big man in the league -- he has dominated Sanogo twice now, and his contributions are consistent against absolutely everyone.

Hawkins should be first team. But he won't be. More double doubles and consistent key leadership and contributions for a top 3 team. Likely gets bumped down to 2d team because he didn't have the preseason honors.

Nembhard should be the FOY. And he damn well better be. That one shouldn't be close, unless it's close because of consideration for Trey Alexander.

Alexander should be 6th Man of the Year.
outlawwales23

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:29 am

Alexander 6th man of the year? Huh?

You Jays fans might want to compare Alexander to Bynum and/or Daniels and tell me again how he is more deserving. That’s Ann odd take considering…
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Friarsfan94 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:25 am

I love Hawkins. I think he’s deserving of wherever they put him, no argument.
-1st team, 2nd team, whatever. But just cause he leads the team in double doubles on a top 3 team? Noah Horchler leads the league, by default leading the 1st place team, should he be the POTY?
Friarsfan94

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:20 am

outlawwales23 wrote:McDermott SHOULD be the COY. But he won't be -- it pretty much just always goes to whichever team wins. I love Cooley, and the Friars were picked 7th. But that was a stupid preseason pick for a team that returned virtually every single player of consequence and came back expected to be among the most veteran and best teams. The Jays were picked 8th, and that made sense -- lost every starter and meaningful contributor, started two freshman (with another as the 6th man) and two transfers. Lost multiple guys to season ending injuries. Mac did the most impressive coaching job this year and it's really not even close.

Kalkbrenner should be the DPOY. But he won't be -- for some reason they vote based on one isolated stat and ignore everything else. Tyshon Alexander was robbed of it two years ago for that very reason. He's the best big man in the league -- he has dominated Sanogo twice now, and his contributions are consistent against absolutely everyone.

Hawkins should be first team. But he won't be. More double doubles and consistent key leadership and contributions for a top 3 team. Likely gets bumped down to 2d team because he didn't have the preseason honors.

Nembhard should be the FOY. And he damn well better be. That one shouldn't be close, unless it's close because of consideration for Trey Alexander.

Alexander should be 6th Man of the Year.

Why stop there? Creighton should also be awarded the Big East Championship (regular season too, sorry Providence) and a 1 seed in the NCAAs. Maybe even that National Championship. The have the best coach and best players after all.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:55 am

Hall2012 wrote:
Why stop there? Creighton should also be awarded the Big East Championship (regular season too, sorry Providence) and a 1 seed in the NCAAs. Maybe even that National Championship. The have the best coach and best players after all.

I would think a team that has the best coach, best defensive player, a 1st teamer, a FOY, and the best 6th man in the BE wouldn't find itself in the bubble. I do think McDermott has a case, though.
supernova
kayako

Postby outlawwales23 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:04 pm

kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

I would think a team that has the best coach, best defensive player, a 1st teamer, a FOY, and the best 6th man in the BE wouldn't find itself in the bubble. I do think McDermott has a case, though.

So who do you disagree with?

Do you disagree that Kalkbrenner is the DPOY? Compare him straight up against whomever else you want to put in that conversation -- he made both Sanogo and Obiagu look like midmajor players. Obiagu wasn't able to defend anyone and spent his entire day on the bench. Same thing happened last year when Ike "Sham Defensive Player of the Year" had to be taken out of the game against Creighton because he couldn't defend anyone on the floor.

Do you disagree that Nembhard is the FOY? Who are you giving it to if not him?

Do you disagree that Hawkins and/or Kalkbrenner deserve first team consideration?

You already agreed with McDermott having a case.
outlawwales23

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:25 pm

outlawwales23 wrote:
kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

Do you disagree that Kalkbrenner is the DPOY? Compare him straight up against whomever else you want to put in that conversation -- he made both Sanogo and Obiagu look like midmajor players. Obiagu wasn't able to defend anyone and spent his entire day on the bench. Same thing happened last year when Ike "Sham Defensive Player of the Year" had to be taken out of the game against Creighton because he couldn't defend anyone on the floor.

Do you disagree that Hawkins and/or Kalkbrenner deserve first team consideration?

Convenient to cherry pick one game when ike was unfortunately limited with foul trouble. At least acknowledge that Kalkbrenner couldn't get out Ike's pocket in Newark.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:44 pm

outlawwales23 wrote:
kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

They're all reasonable. But you said they should win those awards, as if they're peerless in each category. There is a good case for coach Mac, but I never agreed with you that he should win the COY. I'm sure these awards are very meaningful to the players, but FWIW I don't take them too seriously.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board