Seton Hall Covid issues

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Seton Hall Covid issues

Postby Husky_U » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Gotham Classic
@GothamClassic
ALERT: The Seton Hall-Iona game on Saturday has not been canceled. At this time, the game is scheduled to be played at 3:00pm on Saturday at @TheGarden.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Gazelle Group and Iona both want Seton Hall to play on Saturday, but the Pirates have multiple COVID cases and do not want to play, source told @Stadium.
Rick Pitino vs. Kevin Willard.
This is fun stuff.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Of course we know why Gazelle/Iona wanna play the game, but Willard is smart not to play that game, especially if any of the Covid-positives are key contributors. A win vs Iona does nothing for the Pirates, while a loss would be damaging and not indicative of their team at full strength.
Husky_U

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:23 pm

Iona should try to get UNC to play them if they didn't fly out to Los Angeles already.
supernova
kayako

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Husky_U wrote:Gotham Classic
@GothamClassic
ALERT: The Seton Hall-Iona game on Saturday has not been canceled. At this time, the game is scheduled to be played at 3:00pm on Saturday at @TheGarden.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Gazelle Group and Iona both want Seton Hall to play on Saturday, but the Pirates have multiple COVID cases and do not want to play, source told @Stadium.
Rick Pitino vs. Kevin Willard.
This is fun stuff.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Of course we know why Gazelle/Iona wanna play the game, but Willard is smart not to play that game, especially if any of the Covid-positives are key contributors. A win vs Iona does nothing for the Pirates, while a loss would be damaging and not indicative of their team at full strength.

Worst case scenario would be if Hall needs to play Iona with a limited rotation. I agree that they shouldn't have that happen for an OOC game.

As for St. John's, obviously I'd like to play them with a few players out. Then at least we'd have a chance at an upset lol. The Big East should require that they play IMO.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby redmen9194 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:32 pm

Now the Big East rules state that if a team can field 7 scholarship players they can play the game. I wonder if Seton Hall has 7 players available but is opting out of the game anyway. Just speculation but why would Iona and Gazelle group want them to play if they did not have seven available players?
redmen9194

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:36 pm

redmen9194 wrote:I think the records would be 9-3 overall because a forfeit is still a loss. However, it's not going to mean anything to the NCAA committee as they are no play games.

I'm using the Washington forfeit against UCLA as my reference. Everywhere I look, neither team has the game reflected in their overall record.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:41 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Now the Big East rules state that if a team can field 7 scholarship players they can play the game. I wonder if Seton Hall has 7 players available but is opting out of the game anyway. Just speculation but why would Iona and Gazelle group want them to play if they did not have seven available players?

We'll know if they cancel Iona but play SJU. I agree there's no reason to play Iona shorthanded, and the 7 player requirement doesn't apply to it as an OOC game. With conference record on the line against SJU though, they'll play it if they can.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:I think the records would be 9-3 overall because a forfeit is still a loss. However, it's not going to mean anything to the NCAA committee as they are no play games.

I'm using the Washington forfeit against UCLA as my reference. Everywhere I look, neither team has the game reflected in their overall record.

Right, only place there would be a loss is in the conference standings. That's it.
stever20

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Ohio State vs. Kentucky cancelled, too. yikes
supernova
kayako

Postby sju88grad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Ugh. Just seeing all this…..really hope this isn’t the start of a train wreck…..
sju88grad

Postby kayako » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:00 pm

Now DePaul game is cancelled. ugh!
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board