Classy Winners vs Obnoxious Winners...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Classy Winners vs Obnoxious Winners...

Postby billyjack » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:03 am

cu blujs wrote:
Husky_U wrote:
Demon22 wrote:I can't speak for all DePaul fans, but if/when the day ever comes when we're legitimately good, I plan on being legitimately obnoxious.

I've been eating crap sandwiches for the better part of two decades. DePaul fans have been taunted and ridiculed both online and in person for as long as I can remember.

And maybe it makes me a bad person, but when that glorious day comes, I've got a whole list of people that I'm going to make sure hear about it.

For sure. I have a similar take regarding UCONN Football.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here. Pretty sure Demon22 is going to get his chance to be legitimately obnoxious long before Husky-U. Hope that doesn’t put me at the top of your list 8-)

Lol, DePaul has definitely turned the corner, but might be chasing UConn for a while
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:48 am

Demon22 wrote:DePaul fans have been taunted and ridiculed both online

So basically most Marquette fans will get their comeuppance.
supernova
kayako

Postby billyjack » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 am

This thread is all in fun of course, and is geared towards teams that spent years begging for sympathy, only to emerge as jerks once they made it to the top.

DePaul gets their stones busted, but they don't beg for our sympathy. The Jets get criticized, but as far as i know they and their fans don't demand hugs and pats on the head.

Meanwhile, in contrast, Coach K and Duke in the 80's cried like babies every freakin March, demanded our sympathy, then acted like jerks once they won.

The Royals, holy sh-t, every year we had to read some sob story about how they couldn't compete, crying about their glory days, Dayton Moore was an idiot, poor poor Kansas City, yadda yadda yadda... then they were jerks in 2015... in my opinion.

It would be like if Greg Norman after all those heartbreaking crushing losses, which gained him a ton of love, were to win, then prance around like a clown and start busting everyone's balls-- that was St Bonaventure the other night vs Marquette. Again, just my opinion as i await a plate of turkey today.

So i hope DePaul does gloat when their day arrives!

Lol...
Providence
billyjack

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:11 pm

billyjack wrote:This thread is all in fun of course, and is geared towards teams that spent years begging for sympathy, only to emerge as jerks once they made it to the top.

DePaul gets their stones busted, but they don't beg for our sympathy. The Jets get criticized, but as far as i know they and their fans don't demand hugs and pats on the head.

Meanwhile, in contrast, Coach K and Duke in the 80's cried like babies every freakin March, demanded our sympathy, then acted like jerks once they won.

The Royals, holy sh-t, every year we had to read some sob story about how they couldn't compete, crying about their glory days, Dayton Moore was an idiot, poor poor Kansas City, yadda yadda yadda... then they were jerks in 2015... in my opinion.

It would be like if Greg Norman after all those heartbreaking crushing losses, which gained him a ton of love, were to win, then prance around like a clown and start busting everyone's balls-- that was St Bonaventure the other night vs Marquette. Again, just my opinion as i await a plate of turkey today.

Lol...

Billy...i believe karma has a way of finding those who most deserve it. Perhaps that is what happened to the Bonnies this weekend. Giving up 90 points to UNI is not easy to do as they usually need to be playing a DII school or an overtime game to score that many. UNI has previously lost to Nicholls, Vermont, and Arkansas but did beat the University of Dubuque (DIII) and scored 95 on the UD Spartans. They probably won't score 90 again the rest of the season.

So, karma, maybe.
Savannah Jay

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:34 pm

Excellent topic Billy Jack, but then again you always seem to come up with good ones.

The recent gracious winner I like to talk about is the 2019 Virginia Cavaliers. Bouncing all the way back from being just a year removed from being the only #1 seed beaten by #16 seed, UMBC (and by 20 points at that!) the year before. Beating Texas Tech for the title, I thought Tony Bennett and the entire team won with class and style while enjoying and celebrating their Championship. A very nice redemption story.

Also appreciate your props to the Big Red Machine from the mid-70's. Being a college student at Xavier during those years, we were definitely spoiled by those great teams.
DanofXav76

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:08 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
billyjack wrote:This thread is all in fun of course, and is geared towards teams that spent years begging for sympathy, only to emerge as jerks once they made it to the top.

Lol...

Billy...i believe karma has a way of finding those who most deserve it. Perhaps that is what happened to the Bonnies this weekend. Giving up 90 points to UNI is not easy to do as they usually need to be playing a DII school or an overtime game to score that many. UNI has previously lost to Nicholls, Vermont, and Arkansas but did beat the University of Dubuque (DIII) and scored 95 on the UD Spartans. They probably won't score 90 again the rest of the season.

So, karma, maybe.

Hey Savannah, i just noticed your response. Yes, good call, definite karma with St Bona vs Northern Iowa... that's a rough loss.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:14 am

Did Northern Iowa smack it up against St Bonaventure? Because they lost to Bradley tonight by 2. So maybe that Karma continued?
stever20

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:27 am

DanofXav76 wrote:Excellent topic Billy Jack, but then again you always seem to come up with good ones.

The recent gracious winner I like to talk about is the 2019 Virginia Cavaliers. Bouncing all the way back from being just a year removed from being the only #1 seed beaten by #16 seed, UMBC (and by 20 points at that!) the year before. Beating Texas Tech for the title, I thought Tony Bennett and the entire team won with class and style while enjoying and celebrating their Championship. A very nice redemption story.

Also appreciate your props to the Big Red Machine from the mid-70's. Being a college student at Xavier during those years, we were definitely spoiled by those great teams.

Thanks DanofXav76 for the compliment, very much appreciated. Great example of Virginia of what i like in a winner, a classy team and coach.

Loved those 70's Reds teams. They had a pitcher whose name was a combination of my brother's first name and my first name, so as a 6-year-old they were my favorite NL team (cuz of the pitcher, plus the Reds fun style of play).

Loved the entire Reds roster. Gullett was maybe only 27 when he blew his arm out with NY, possibly would've been a Hall of Famer. Maybe in 78 my father found a black wiffle bat for us which i loved cuz it was like George Foster's. Loved that Sparky would never step on the baseline chalk when visiting the mound.

Even present day, i follow Johnny Bench on Twitter, and he's such a great and humble guy, and is one of the game's respected elder statesmen, a bridge to the Aaron and Mays and Clemente and almost-Koufax years-- and he loves talking about the talent in today's MLB, and roots for players graciously even as they break some of his records (Vlad Jr HR total at Allstar break; Salvador Perez most HR's in a season for catcher; the 72 Dolphins should learn from his example).

By the way, i could talk 70s baseball and the Big Red Machine all day!
:D
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:32 am

stever20 wrote:Did Northern Iowa smack it up against St Bonaventure? Because they lost to Bradley tonight by 2. So maybe that Karma continued?

Lol, awesome
Providence
billyjack

Postby cu blujs » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:59 am

billyjack wrote: Lol, DePaul has definitely turned the corner, but might be chasing UConn for a while

I was referring to DePaul finding new success in Basketball vs. UConn finding new success in football.
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board