Hearing done deal

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Hearing done deal

Postby jkc_dawgs » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:49 pm

admin wrote:I'm getting rumors about highest level emergency meetings at more than one school tonight.

Can you expand on that?
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 pm

jkc_dawgs wrote:
admin wrote:I'm getting rumors about highest level emergency meetings at more than one school tonight.

Can you expand on that?

I'm getting info from others that high level meetings were called today at more than one school not currently in the Big East. The insinuation is that is has to do with conference affiliation. I can't verify this of course - not sure anyone really can.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Moliva » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 pm

EMT wrote:Next year: Xavier, Creighton, Butler. Dayton and St. Louis to follow in 2014.

Fox is the broadcast partner. Announcement soon.

If your name was Brett McMurphy and today was 6 days ago, I'd say you had one hell of a scoop on this one.
Moliva

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Moliva wrote:
EMT wrote:Next year: Xavier, Creighton, Butler. Dayton and St. Louis to follow in 2014.

Fox is the broadcast partner. Announcement soon.

If your name was Brett McMurphy and today was 6 days ago, I'd say you had one hell of a scoop on this one.

:lol:
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby isu87 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 pm

purpieschu wrote:I would love to believe your source but comments in the Dayton Daily News today made by UD President Curran sound to me like he is preparing the community for disappointment. I

“When push comes to shove, those (presidents) have to make the decisions that are best for their institutions. …. The good thing is, the fact we’re in the A-10, and it is a strong conference — we’re blessed with that. We’ll just have to wait and see,” Curran said. to believe he knows what the decision is, and if UD is going to be invited, I find his comments inexplicable.

I do not believe one can over estimate how big of a blow this will be for either the UD or UR basketball program and fan base. Unfortunately I fear it will be UD that will be left behind in a mediocre at best A10.

I know most Dayton fans probably look down on the MVC as an inferior conference, but in the unlikely event that Dayton is left out, do you think Curran would consider an invite to join the MVC for all sports?
isu87

Postby ChiFlyer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:40 pm

MVC is probably the best alternative to not being in the BE. At least the most stable option. The A-10 will likely add and lose a few more teams after this next shake out. A-10 will probably still be a multi bid league.
ChiFlyer

Postby jkc_dawgs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am

Good news for Butler is that they will get their Chicago game back. Butler has a ton of alumni in Chicago and we try to get a game there every year and we can do that with DePaul.
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 am

purpieschu wrote:I would agree the MVC may well be a better conference than the much weakened A10 but I don't see UD desiring to join that conference. I believe the east coast exposure is too valuable to the university considering its applicant pool and alumni base.

The only team that has the MVC as a good back up is Creighton. They loose nothing by staying. Dayton or Slu would be nuts to leave a league with
St Joes, LaSalle, VCU/Richmond. GT is on its way back up and Bonnies look to be solid. And that assumes Mass leaves. The A-10 will have as many top 100 rpi teams and after the top four in the valley the bottom drops out really fast. Plus you get the advantage of playing in NY, DC, Philly, and Pitt as opposed to methdale, methfield, methoria, methsville, and methicha.
BillEsq

Postby WrightFlyer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:25 am

purpieschu wrote:I would love to believe your source but comments in the Dayton Daily News today made by UD President Curran sound to me like he is preparing the community for disappointment. I

“When push comes to shove, those (presidents) have to make the decisions that are best for their institutions. …. The good thing is, the fact we’re in the A-10, and it is a strong conference — we’re blessed with that. We’ll just have to wait and see,” Curran said. to believe he knows what the decision is, and if UD is going to be invited, I find his comments inexplicable.

I do not believe one can over estimate how big of a blow this will be for either the UD or UR basketball program and fan base. Unfortunately I fear it will be UD that will be left behind in a mediocre at best A10.

1st, great site guys.

2nd, people read way into what ADs / presidents say. What is he supposed to say before the C7 is even a league? "Yes, we have had discussions with another league and while the A10 has been pretty good we are looking to move up."

This is basically what the president or AD of any school involved with realignment has said, except for maybe UC, who has been pretty blunt about it.
WrightFlyer

Postby JAY DOG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:58 am

Today is the day!
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say
Our final Arch Madness MVC tourney in St Louis for our beloved Creighton Bluejays starts tonight in St. Louis and it will be both exciting and bittersweet at the same time.
Creighton fans purchased over 1/2 of the tickets for this year's tourney so hopefully you will see your first Bluejay sea of blue Sunday in our tourney final on CBS at 1 pm EST.
Next year........,The Big Apple!!
SO pumped to be a member of the new Big East!
JAY DOG

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board