Poll: Who will finish in 6th place this year?

The home for Big East hoops

Who finishes 6th?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Butler
6%
Georgetown
No votes
Marquette
42%
Providence
45%
Villanova
No votes
Xavier
6%

Total votes : 64

Re: Poll: Who will finish in 6th place this year?

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Went with PC, just dont have confidence in their front line.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Went with Marquette to finish 6th instead of providence because of coaching and experience.
hoyahooligan

Postby BEX » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:37 pm

FormulaX wrote:Sorry, but the Butler and Xavier votes are either lack of research or "Sour grapes"!!!

@JonRothstein

Nova, Gtown, Butler, & Xavier are clearly the top 4 teams in the Big East. SHU in that next tier. Could finish anywhere bw 5 & 10. #shbb
1:46 PM - 1 Oct 2015
BEX

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:15 pm

I don't get the providence love. Dunn is a fantastic player, but honestly ask yourself if Dunn wasn't on that team where would they be? In my opinion they'd drop to last. If one of Duane, Fisher or Ellenson get injured there's still two more weapons that MU has that are all conference caliber players.

Beyond Dunn Providence only has Bentil, who's their tallest player, he averaged like 6.5pts last year... are you sure you believe that a team, who's only legitimate offense is Dunn and a couple points from Bentil, will beat out a team that returns 12pts each from fisher and wilson and 7pts from johnson plus whatever Ellenson brings? Key to beat Providence is face guard Dunn it's easy, game plan against MU would be much more difficult.

Going beyond that Providence's tallest player is 6-9 (Bentil) that's not a great recipe for success, at 6-8 they have two freshmen and a sophomore that didn't play last year and at 6-7 a mediocre player at best. They might have the worst front line in the Big East. And even worse they have a kid who played at Fenwick (rival high school couldn't resist the jab).

I think Dunn will be like Marshon Brooks circa 2011, an unbelievable talent that was just on the wrong team.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Hoya33 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 am

I agree on Butler. What place did Xavier finish last year?

Maybe they win the conference, but to predict that they finish the same as last year, after losing their starting point guard and center, is not sour grapes. It is quite possible Xavier is the sixth best team in the conference. Maybe worse.

BEX wrote:
FormulaX wrote:Sorry, but the Butler and Xavier votes are either lack of research or "Sour grapes"!!!

@JonRothstein

Nova, Gtown, Butler, & Xavier are clearly the top 4 teams in the Big East. SHU in that next tier. Could finish anywhere bw 5 & 10. #shbb
1:46 PM - 1 Oct 2015
Hoya33

Postby xavier1994 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:22 am

Xavier will be light years better defensively and should not miss a beat on offense. So yes, they will be better
xavier1994

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:40 am

MUBoxer wrote:I don't get the providence love. Dunn is a fantastic player, but honestly ask yourself if Dunn wasn't on that team where would they be?

But he is on the team, so I don't get this line of thinking.

Look no further than Creighton two years ago to see what an All-American can do. I'm not predicting that Dunn will win National POY but he certainly has the talent to put up monster #'s and carry that PC team. McBuckets played with a bunch of decent but not great players, and he elevated the games of everyone around him. Dunn could do the same. Also BB has become so much more about guard play than bigs IMO. PC just needs players who can defend and knock down open shots b/c Dunn is going to attract a lot of attention.

I think fans of teams get their feelings hurt when their team's # eventually pops up in this poll. Some Jays fans couldn't understand how they could be picked 7th. PC and Marq is a toss up in my mind, but both sets of fans are convinced it's not their team's turn yet. I wouldn't be surprised either way, and quite frankly knowing the parity in our league in spots 4-10 I wouldn't be surprised if DePaul finished 5th or 6th and someone higher finished 9th/10th.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:43 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:I don't get the providence love. Dunn is a fantastic player, but honestly ask yourself if Dunn wasn't on that team where would they be?

Look no further than Creighton two years ago to see what an All-American can do. I'm not predicting that Dunn will win National POY but he certainly has the talent to put up monster #'s and carry that PC team. McBuckets played with a bunch of decent but not great players, and he elevated the games of everyone around him. Dunn could do the same. Also BB has become so much more about guard play than bigs IMO. PC just needs players who can defend and knock down open shots b/c Dunn is going to attract a lot of attention.

I think fans of teams get their feelings hurt when their team's # eventually pops up in this poll. Some Jays fans couldn't understand how they could be picked 7th. PC and Marq is a toss up in my mind, but both sets of fans are convinced it's not their team's turn yet. I wouldn't be surprised either way, and quite frankly knowing the parity in our league in spots 4-10 I wouldn't be surprised if DePaul finished 5th or 6th and someone higher finished 9th/10th.

Thinking is that A) Injuries happen. If Dunn is even out for a couple games they'll get slammed. B) They aren't deep and lack many weapons. If Dunn has an off night, or is face guarded well, then Providence will get slammed.

Even Mcdermott had a team that was chalk full of experience (wasn't it like 6 seniors?) though and Wragge was nuts from beyond the ark. Providence doesn't have the luxury of all that experience... not that MU does but it's another weakness to Providence.

True about the guards game but you still gotta have some height or else you'll be destroyed on the rebounds. Personally I'm not hurt about our number, I just don't get the Providence love.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:01 am

Creighton had Brooks, Chatman, Gibbs, Manigat, and Wragge that were all top 500 players in at least 1 of the Ken Pom categories. Chatman, Gibbs, Mangiat, and Wragge were all top offensive players. They all had experience. Sorry but PC just doesn't have anywhere close to the supporting group that PC has this year. There's absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

Size is going to absolutely kill PC- not because of offense. But defense and rebounding are going to be big time problems. Tough to do what PC wants to do when they are inbounding the ball after a made basket. You are right Gumby that it's a guard game, but you have to have some size.

IMO, there's going to be teams that Marquette will be able to be competitive with, that PC won't be close to just because of this.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 am

MUBoxer wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Thinking is that A) Injuries happen. If Dunn is even out for a couple games they'll get slammed. B) They aren't deep and lack many weapons. If Dunn has an off night, or is face guarded well, then Providence will get slammed.

Even Mcdermott had a team that was chalk full of experience (wasn't it like 6 seniors?) though and Wragge was nuts from beyond the ark. Providence doesn't have the luxury of all that experience... not that MU does but it's another weakness to Providence.

True about the guards game but you still gotta have some height or else you'll be destroyed on the rebounds. Personally I'm not hurt about our number, I just don't get the Providence love.

Only 4, but I think your point remains.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board