PROVIDENCE NATIONAL CHAMPS

The home for Big East hoops

Re: PROVIDENCE NATIONAL CHAMPS

Postby robinreed » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:38 am

Kudos to the Friars. Hockey is a collegiate sport we should all have.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 am

notkirkcameron wrote:Congrats, Friars!

For what it's worth, Providence is the only hockey school in the Big East, but all of the other 9 schools have club teams

Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Georgetown
Marquette
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

Maybe instead of adding third-tier schools, we should be adding sports? At the risk of starting a discussion better served for another thread, hockey is a sport with relatively little in the way of regional competitors to Big East schools, particularly the Midwestern schools. There are only FIVE Division I Hockey programs in the eight states of Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky (Nebraska-Omaha, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Miami, and Bowling Green). Similarly, there are no D1 Hockey teams in DC, Philly, or within 50 miles of New York City (Princeton is the closest).

I would love to see the other 9 schools upgrade their programs and the Big East sponsor ice hockey, but I can't imagine it would be cheap between hiring a d1 caliber coach and finding a place to play (Idk about anyone else, but shu currently plays at some local public skating rink. Nobody's gonna take them seriously there).

Also, there's no way PC would leave the best hockey conference in the country to play with us. Maybe after like 10 years if we've gotten competitive enough by then.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby jfan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:15 am

Great job Providence!!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby R Jay » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:31 am

Congrats Providence fans! What a fantastic run!
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby augkash » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:41 am

Congratulations
augkash

Postby notkirkcameron » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Honestly, aside from cost, the biggest hurdle to the Big East adding hockey is the fact that its season runs contemporaneously with basketball, its marquee sport. Big East hockey would seek to draw even more entertainment dollars from the same group of fans of relatively small private schools.

There's 59 Division I hockey teams, but only 15 that also play FBS football, six of which are in the Big Ten (The other 9 are Notre Dame, Miami (OH), Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Air Force, UMass, UConn, Boston College, and Army), and in that list, only three....maybe four could be said to have anything resembling a high-level basketball team.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby NovaBall » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:12 pm

I wish nova had a hockey team instead of the stupid football team that we waste tons of money on.
NovaBall

Postby pki1998 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:21 pm

notkirkcameron wrote:Congrats, Friars!

For what it's worth, Providence is the only hockey school in the Big East, but all of the other 9 schools have club teams

Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Georgetown
Marquette
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

Maybe instead of adding third-tier schools, we should be adding sports? At the risk of starting a discussion better served for another thread, hockey is a sport with relatively little in the way of regional competitors to Big East schools, particularly the Midwestern schools. There are only FIVE Division I Hockey programs in the eight states of Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky (Nebraska-Omaha, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Miami, and Bowling Green). Similarly, there are no D1 Hockey teams in DC, Philly, or within 50 miles of New York City (Princeton is the closest).

Congrats on the championship truely a remarkable feat!!!!!! Let's hope next year one of the big east teams gets the basketball one.

Would love for X to start a hockey program, just don't ever see it happening. 36 scholarships (mens and womens) is a lot to pay for and could take resources away from basketball
Xavier
pki1998

Postby UD FAN » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Congrat's. Great game for the friars!
UD FAN

Postby EMT » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:01 pm

As stated earlier in the thread, PC would never leave Hockey East for BE Hockey. Especially not after Leaman has resurrected the program. He might be the best coach in college hockey right now. Union won last year with all of his recruits, his assistant and PC grad Rick Bennett running his system and then he actually wins it this year.

Hockey is expensive and the fact that all trips once conference play begins are bus trips keeps the expenses down. PC probably only took 2 plane trips all year.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board