Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Zagoria: Lavin's future at St. John's in doubt

Postby Barley » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

billyjack wrote:What's the latest on Billy Donovan...?
Back in 2011 he was on the St John's radar.
He might be ready to come home.

Now that would be plain effing nuts. Might as well offer to the job to Phil Jackson.
Barley

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Barley wrote:

Now that would be plain effing nuts. Might as well offer to the job to Phil Jackson.

I only say this because from what I remember, there was some interest from both sides back in 2011.
Billy D is from metro NY. Big East player. Knicks player.
He could be ready for a new challenge. MSG. NYC. St John's is an excellent job.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:52 pm

billyjack wrote:
Barley wrote:

I only say this because from what I remember, there was some interest from both sides back in 2011.
Billy D is from metro NY. Big East player. Knicks player.
He could be ready for a new challenge. MSG. NYC. St John's is an excellent job.

Only question is does the bad season at Florida leave a bitter taste in his mouth that he wants to get rid of, or does it make it more likely that he'll want to go. Have got to think at Florida, he's done pretty much all he could do there.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:00 pm

It's odd that after all the success he's had at Iona, no one ever mentions Tim Cluess, a guy with extensive ties to St. John's, to Long Island, and to the NY area generally.
Bill Marsh

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:It's odd that after all the success he's had at Iona, no one ever mentions Tim Cluess, a guy with extensive ties to St. John's, to Long Island, and to the NY area generally.

The reason is because his teams are great offensively but horrible defensively. That's his rep. By the way I would hire Billy Donovan before any of the other candidates in a second. He is from LI about 20 minutes (if not less) from the SJU campus and a 35 minute train ride to MSG on the Babylon LIRR line. He has won 2 championships and we know he would recruit extremely, extremely well. From what I've heard it's a long shot, but I don't know why. SJU could offer him a lot of money to come back home and be near family. As someone else said, he's done just about all he could at FLA and they have their 2 rings. I wouldn't mind a LeBron situation (win a few rings and try to go home and win) with him. I would assume the biggest factors against him coming are 1) NBA teams looking to pay much more for him or 2) FLA undoubtably has way more money to offer him than SJU and could pay him what he wants if they really want to keep him. But stranger things have happened.

I just hope if Lavin is fired, one of the guys being discussed is hired. Because if the school picks some random guy totally shocking people, it may be the final nail in the coffin for many SJU fans suffering since 1985.
Steve Lavin

Postby DemonLS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:03 pm

I do not believe that St. John's is a better job than DePaul. Just because they have had more success recently does not make it more appealing. Many of the best players in the country come from Chicago.
DemonLS

Postby Bluejay » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 pm

DemonLS wrote:I do not believe that St. John's is a better job than DePaul. Just because they have had more success recently does not make it more appealing. Many of the best players in the country come from Chicago.

The comment was made in respect to Hurley I beleive. To a Jersey native, St Johns would probably be a better job.
Bluejay

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Right, both of the Hurley brothers and also Masiello too would be more effective recruiting in the Northeast, where they have strong ties.
Drew and Wardle have better Chicago ties.
Bobby Hurley at DePaul would still be a great hire though.

And yeah, Tim Cluess is a great coach at Iona, and I don't know why his name never surfaces... he's not that old, only 56...
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:20 pm

I think DePaul is no where close to St John's as a job...

look at history...
DePaul has been to the tourney 22 times, with 21 wins and 2 final 4's. 2 tourney appearances since 1992.
St John's has been to the tourney 29 times with 27 wins and 2 final 4's with a runner up. They have 7 appearances since 1992.

St John's no world beaters recently- but still way better.
stever20

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:05 pm

DemonLS wrote:I do not believe that St. John's is a better job than DePaul. Just because they have had more success recently does not make it more appealing. Many of the best players in the country come from Chicago.

I respect DePaul and hope DePaul gets better, but you are nuts if you think that. NYC is the media capital not only of America but of the world. NYC is a global city…an empire. Our team plays in the world's most famous arena…MSG. We have a richer tradition along with legitimate legends who are known nationally i.e. Mullin, Jackson, Artest, etc. We have the new UA deal, attendance is way up vs. past years, and we have won 20 games 3/4 years with 2 NCAA appearances.

SJU is far and away the better job to DePaul. Just like Nova is far and away the better job to SJU.
Steve Lavin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board