Wed Jan 7th (2 Games) - Seton-Xavier, DePaul-Creighton.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed Jan 7th (2 Games) - Seton-Xavier, DePaul-Creighton.

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:23 pm

pki1998 wrote:I hope X can pull out a victory tonight, but I'm not very hopeful. If Xavier plays like they did against Georgetown, this should be a close game but Seton Hall probably wins. If Xavier plays like they did against DePaul it will be a blow out.

If Xavier plays like they did against Georgetown they'll win by 20.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:09 pm

19 Seton Hall @ Xavier, 7:00
CBS Sports Network: Tom McCarthy, Alaa Abdelnaby, Allie LaForce

DePaul @ Creighton, 9:00
Fox Sports 1: Kevin Kugler, Stephen Bardo
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Bluejay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm

FlyJays wrote:Hopefully, the other guys can pick up the slack and give Chatman some support, because he's been a stud all season and it would be disappointing to see a player who has contributed so much to this program end his career on such a low note.

Actually Chatman has been pretty lousy the last 3 games. He might be gassed from too many minutes, but for the last three games he has hardly been carrying the team on his back.
Bluejay

Postby R Jay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:35 pm

We have to get Austin's minutes down if we're going to be successful in the long run. He just can't keep playing 40 minutes a game. Either Devin has to pick up the slack there or Tyler Clement needs to play more.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby jckund » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:28 pm

I think both home teams are rightfully favored here... though I question the margins. SHU and DePaul have played poorly away from home, while X and CU are historically strong teams at home. Question becomes 1. Can Xavier find an answer in containing Gibbs and preventing the Hall's offensive rebounds, and 2. Can Creighton hit enough shots to score with DePaul... both teams not great defensively.
jckund

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Going with CU as is it really possible that DePaul wins 3 games IN A ROW in this conference? I guess anything is possible.

Also going with X here. I think it is a very big ask to have SHU beat it's 2 closest rivals (geographically and in BE play) on their home court in front of two great crowds, and then follow up on the road in what could be a hostile environment. If the place is packed and raucous, I like X by double digits. It's hard for young teams to handle the tough road environments--the two losses this year were in tough environments and SHU struggled mightily in both. Add in two very emotional and physically taxing wins + the school's first Top 20 rankings in a looonggg time + guys starting to read the clippings telling them how good they are, and I think it just all adds up to a big X win. Doesn't mean they are not deserving of where they are, or that they are not good. Just a tough ask in this spot IMO.

To our Pirate fans on the board, if SHU can go into X and win, I would be much more impressed than their 2 wins over Nova and SJU at home. Good luck.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm hating these games on CBS-SN, which I don't get on my current package. There's a change coming in August, so I will next year. But I don't understand why FS1 is bumping Xavier-Seton Hall which is the high interest game of the night.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:38 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Going with CU as is it really possible that DePaul wins 3 games IN A ROW in this conference? I guess anything is possible.

Also going with X here. I think it is a very big ask to have SHU beat it's 2 closest rivals (geographically and in BE play) on their home court in front of two great crowds, and then follow up on the road in what could be a hostile environment. If the place is packed and raucous, I like X by double digits. It's hard for young teams to handle the tough road environments--the two losses this year were in tough environments and SHU struggled mightily in both. Add in two very emotional and physically taxing wins + the school's first Top 20 rankings in a looonggg time + guys starting to read the clippings telling them how good they are, and I think it just all adds up to a big X win. Doesn't mean they are not deserving of where they are, or that they are not good. Just a tough ask in this spot IMO.

To our Pirate fans on the board, if SHU can go into X and win, I would be much more impressed than their 2 wins over Nova and SJU at home. Good luck.

If I was told at the beginning of conference play that the Hall could win 2 of it's first 3 games, I'd have signed up for that in a heartbeat. But now that the first 2 are out of the way, I'm getting greedy and want the third. I agree though, very tough game, situation,etc. A win would be much more of a positive than a loss would be negative.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby BEwannabe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Xavier -7.5
Jays -10.5

I really don't bet basketball but those lines seem a little hefty in favor of the home team especially the Jays as a 10.5 favorite. I can see the X being a couple possession game throughout and they'll be focused and I'm sure the X fans will be focused on making it a tough night for the Pirates but laying a big number to a pretty good offensive team. That said, the home teams have fared well in Big East play and X and Creighton are tough houses to play.
BEwannabe

Postby xavierfano8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:11 pm

Xavier sold out earlier this afternoon. Should be a good crowd tonight.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board