What is the relationship between your school & the state one

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What is the relationship between your school & the state

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 pm

I would think that most of the private schools would hate the state school in their state. It's part of what makes this Big East compelling is that it excludes State U (at this time).
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 pm

For New York, there really isn't a real interest in college football and no local good team to root for. I think Notre Dame and Penn State in college football garner the most interest from a fan and media standpoint.
redmen9194

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 pm

xavier1994 wrote:
cm5yz6 wrote:
Xudash wrote:Most here probably know the Xavier v. UC rivalry is one of the top rate basketball rivalries in the country.

"Top Rate Basketball Rivalry" is a little bold, especially when one team has never made it to a Final Four and the other has one 2 national championships (though they were in 61 and 62). I hope that top rate rung in pretty inclusive.

"ONE of the top rate(d) basketball rivalries" Congrats to UC for winning 2 national championships 50 years ago! Personally, I would love to drop that mid major team from the AAC

That is exactly my point - the lack of recent national success. When you are saying that it is a "top rate bball rivalry," I'm thinking, UNC-Duke, GTown-Syracuse, UK-Louisville... Xavier-UC is not in the top rate, unless, as I said, that "top rate" is rather large... then you are adding in a lot of other rivalries and the "top rate" doesn't really mean that much.

Maybe "among the most confrontational" or "involves some of the most hatred," but the teams just havent had enough success, especially recent national prominance, as mentioned, to be "top rate."
cm5yz6

Postby billyjack » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm

PC and URI have a big rivalry. The Friars are the state's favorite team in hoops. URI is second. Brown is way down from there. URI, being down in South County, has always been kind of too distant from the city to get casual fans (their new on-campus Ryan Center is awesome though). The Friars play in downtown Providence, and the PC campus is in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and PC is considered a great neighbor and a great school and a source of local sports pride with their history. PC's campus isn't locked away on a hill somewhere-- it's accessible and people cut through it during their daily routines.

As URI fans say (correctly I think), the Providence Journal favors the Friars. They also say that the PC-alums in state government favor the Friars. The occasions years back when URI would play home games at the Dunk (like vs Temple, etc), they wouldn't draw the same size crowds nor match the enthusiasm that PC always gets. Also, some of our Friar legends were locals as it is often mentioned (plus our current coach!), so that draws huge interest, plus the Final Fours and the interest in other Big East rival teams.

So Rhode Islanders are much more supportive of PC. Me, personally-- I went to a different college in Rhode Island, but was raised a Friar fan because I grew up around 3 miles from the PC campus. I also root for URI in their games, but my top choice is easily PC.
Providence
billyjack

Postby yorost » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Dew wrote:
The media, even in Milwaukee, is especially anti-Marquette.

Why is that?

Maybe the reference was to tv, I don't know, but the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the only major paper from Milwaukee, is pretty even in giving time between Badgers and Marquette for basketball. They've had other sports for Marquette occasionally in prominent news feeds this last year, too, like soccer and volleyball, and were active in getting stories about the conference split. I know some Marquette fans criticize their coverage, but it's pretty positive overall.

I have not lived in Milwaukee for a decade, though, so I have no idea when it comes to tv or radio media. I never paid attention to either even when I lived there.
yorost

Postby aughnanure » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 pm

yorost wrote:
Dew wrote:
The media, even in Milwaukee, is especially anti-Marquette.

Why is that?

Maybe the reference was to tv, I don't know, but the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the only major paper from Milwaukee, is pretty even in giving time between Badgers and Marquette for basketball. They've had other sports for Marquette occasionally in prominent news feeds this last year, too, like soccer and volleyball, and were active in getting stories about the conference split. I know some Marquette fans criticize their coverage, but it's pretty positive overall.

I have not lived in Milwaukee for a decade, though, so I have no idea when it comes to tv or radio media. I never paid attention to either even when I lived there.

By "pretty even" do you mean MJS ignores Marquette until something bad happens? Cause that's pretty much it. Their beat reporter has been awful since Rosiak left and they spend no extra time covering Marquette than what is minimally required.

TV and radio however are exceptionally terrible.

Honestly, if Wisconsin could just get rid of its Packers hard-on 1 month a year they might actually spend time learning about other sports to the point where they can legitimately debate and argue them. Listening to 1250 and even 540 talk college basketball is like fingernails to a chalkboard. Its a bunch of guys who never pay attention to the sport until March. Its sad really, considering they've had TWO very successful programs in their backyard for more than a decade now.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby yorost » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 pm

It's not that bad at jsonline. The Badgers and Marquette get about equal front page treatment for the sport, the Badgers aren't getting a ton of basketball coverage Marquette is not, and there are definitely positive articles about Marquette that are beyond minimal coverage. It could be far, far worse for Marquette. We could have Milwaukee's treatment by the paper. I think you're complaining about particular beat writers and not the paper's balance. Football is what skews things to the Badgers favor, not a comparison of basketball coverage. Also, Michael Hunt's assignment shows the paper put some value into coverage. Like him or not, he is a prominent face in their sports section and has done some nice pieces for us fans.
yorost

Postby JOPO » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm

In New Jersey there is no high major Division 1 football being played. Neighboring Pennsylvania provides a rooting interst in Penn State and then there is also Notre Dame. Despite exporting a vast number of Division 1 football players to the rest of the country the college football that is successful here is played at the Division III level in the NJAC. Thankfully, the state school (Rutgers) does not have the state's name listing it as more of an afterthought if anything.

Rutgers thinks of Seton Hall as their main rival but the feeling is not mutual, especially among traditionalist Big East followers (those around since the beginning with the founding seven, Pittsburgh and Villanova). Seton Hall, despite being a quarter of the size of Rutgers consistently outdraws them in basketball by 2,000 to 2,500 per game. It isn't even close. Since they joined the conference they only finished ahead of Seton Hall once or twice. The "rivalry" was something manufactured by the Big East when Rutgers was admitted and forced upon Seton Hall because we reside within the same state and Rutgers needed a rival.

The state paper (Star Ledger) does whatever they can to try and pump up Rutgers. At one time they sponsored the "Star Ledger trophy" to try and build the "rivarly" with this as some sort of prize. However, after years of Seton Hall winning it they discontinued the sponsorship and the trophy. The Ledger desperately wants Rutgers to be relevant in something and in an effort to try to help them they have decided to ignore Seton Hall. The Ledger in recent years since doing this has almost gone under a number of times. Rumor now is that the Ledger may not last past December of this year. I'm sure pissed off Seton Hall fans and alums canceling subscriptions isn't helping their bottom line any.

Personally, I like to see them lose at everything. I feel bad for UConn in this respect because if the Big Ten was smart they would have taken the Huskies over the guaranteed wins over Rutgers. Rutgers, aside from the one hiccup game in around 2006, will never amount to anything in college athletics.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 pm

cm5yz6 wrote:
Xudash wrote:Most here probably know the Xavier v. UC rivalry is one of the top rate basketball rivalries in the country.

"Top Rate Basketball Rivalry" is a little bold, especially when one team has never made it to a Final Four and the other has one 2 national championships (though they were in 61 and 62). I hope that top rate rung in pretty inclusive.

It's not my opinion. That game is actually rated by the national media as one of the top basketball rivalries in the nation.

If you aren't a troll, then you certainly are acting like one; bringing up national championships from the Kennedy administration is ridiculous.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby yorost » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Not really, those championships still give the program some prestige. Better to have them than not.
yorost

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board