It's time to review DePaul

The home for Big East hoops

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 pm

DePaul had another very DePaul-like season. 10-23 overall. 3-17 in the league. Let's review

OUT:
*Umoja Gibson
*Yor Anei
*Eral Penn
*Javan Johnson
*Philmon Gebrewhit (portal to Northern Illinois)
*Nick Ongenda (going pro)

STAY:
*Jalen Terry
*Caleb Murphy
*Zion Cruz
*Da'Sean Nelson

IN:
*Keyondre Young (JUCO)
*Dramane "Ladji" Camara
*Churchill Abass
*Jaden Henley (Transfer from Minnesota)
*Jeremiah Oden (Transfer from Wyoming)
*Chico Carter (Transfer from South Carolina)
*Elijah Fisher (Transfer from Texas Tech)

My 0.02:
Well that was disappointing but not terribly surprising. This is DePaul after all. I thought they had shown some signs of life last season and that Tony Stubblefield could turn this program around. The win over Xavier was encouraging but what happened after that? A 12 game losing streak to end the regular season. Got one win in the Garden on a miracle block from Ongenda to edge Seton Hall and they also gave Xavier trouble once again before falling short. But 10-23 is still 10-23. 3-17 is still 3-17 too. Now injuries definitely played a part. Ongenda was out for most of the year. Terry was hurt, Murphy was hurt and I think Anei was too. But again, the record is the record and going on a 12 game losing streak is never a good look no matter the excuses. To the Blue Demon faithful, what say you?? Do you still believe in Stubbs? Has he lost you? I'd give him at least another year or 2 to figure things out but this year was quite discouraging. We need a good DePaul team! We need a nationally relevant team in a big market like Chicago. That'd be huge for the league.

POST-DEADLINE UPDATE:
*DePaul got hit with some bad news late as Nick Ongenda declared to stay in the NBA Draft and will not return to DePaul. But DePaul did pick up some talented players such as Fisher from the portal and Abass from overseas. Fisher was highly touted out of HS but wasn't really a factor at Texas Tech but I still think the upside with him is there. Oden and Carter were solid players at Wyoming and South Carolina, respectively. Oden will need to prove he can be serviceable in the Big East. Abass is another prospect that intrigues me. Great size at 6'9 245, length with a 7'2 wingspan and athleticism as he had a 38 inch vertical, all according to the official DePaul Basketball website's press release when Abass signed. He'll have some adjusting to do to the American college game but the talent is definitely there.

DePaul needs to turn themselves around. It won't be easy because this program has been stuck in a losing culture for a long time. But it can be done! Here's to hoping Tony Stubblefield and the Blue Demons turn some heads in 2023-24 and field a competitive team.
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: It's time to review DePaul

Postby Demon22 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:53 am

After Stubbs' first year, I think I described myself as "cautiously optimistic".

After Year Two, I'd change that description to "mildly concerned".

They need to hit the transfer portal hard.
Demon22

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:00 pm

Philmon Gebrewhit is in the portal
OmahaGuy

Postby Demon22 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:50 pm

Ahamad Bynum is also in the portal. Former Top 75 recruit... never really played like it.

Nick Ongenda is probably gone.

Would not shock me at all if Zion Cruz also left.
Demon22

Postby Demon22 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:58 am

Minnesota transfer Jaden Henley has committed to DePaul.

Henley left the Gophers after his freshman season, where he averaged 5.3 points per game. Over his last 10 games against Big Ten competition, he improved to 8.5 points per game.

He's a long, athletic wing player who's a good defender. He shot just over 37% from long distance this past season.
Demon22

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm

Wyoming transfer Jeremiah Oden to DePaul, 6-8 soph, average 9.6 ppg and 3.6 rpg.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Demon22 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:02 pm

Da'Sean Nelson announced that he will be withdrawing from the portal and returning to DePaul.
Demon22

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:23 pm

Demon22 wrote:Da'Sean Nelson announced that he will be withdrawing from the portal and returning to DePaul.

That's big, imo. I really liked what I saw of his game, even though he was erratic. I could see him scoring 15 ppg with more playing time this year.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby OmahaGuy » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:51 pm

Blue Demons add Chico Carter. A transfer from South Carolina
OmahaGuy

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:53 pm

Probably not a huge opportunity, but.DePaul should try to throw NIL money at the local recruits.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board