A Review of the Pirates

The home for Big East hoops

A Review of the Pirates

Postby OmahaGuy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:46 pm

Not the best of times for Seton Hall as the Pirates got boat raced by TCU and it appears Kevin Willard leaving for Maryland (barring something unforeseen) is all but finished. The good news is that SHU alum Shaheen Holloway who currently coaches this years cinderella squad (St Peter's Peacocks!) again barring something unforeseen, is set to return to his alma mater. Peacocks have looked like a very well-coached team in the tournament

Anyway, let's review!

OUT
*Bryce Aiken
*Jared Rhoden
*Ike Obiagu (going pro)
*Myles Cale
*Jahari Long (transferring to Maryland)
*Brandon Weston (transferring to Rhode Island)
*Tyler Powell (transferring to Nevada)

STAY
*Tyrese Samuel
*Tray Jackson
*Jamir Harris
*Kadary Richmond
*Alexis Yetna

IN
*Jaquan Sanders
*Jaquan Harris
*Tae Davis
*Dre Davis (transfer from Louisville)
*Al-Amir Dawes (transfer from Clemson)
*Femi Odukale (transfer from Pitt)
*KC Ndefo (transfer from St Peters)

My 0.02:
Damn. That's a lot to replace. Transition year ahead in South Orange. Assuming Willard is out and Holloway is in, it'll be interesting to see what he can do in the offseason when he recruits for SHU. I think he could make a pretty good coach! Wish I could expand more but man...there's just so many unknowns
UPDATE: Yeah it appears Bryce Aiken's college career is done and won't get a medical redshirt. Willard made it official as he's now in College Park. Once St Peter's is done, Holloway should return to his alma mater
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Sun May 29, 2022 8:37 am, edited 13 times in total.
OmahaGuy

A Review of the Pirates

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: A Review of the Pirates

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 pm

How many redshirts do you think Aiken can get? lol

Anyway, hard to say who's staying and who's going with the impending coaching change. I would expect everyone who plans to playing in college again at least to hit the transfer portal. We'll see if the new coach (expected to be Holloway), is able to recruit them back or goes for his own guys.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:42 am

So I looked up medical redshirt-
According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season.

The injury occurred the 16th game looks like so 1st half, but he played in 15 games which is well over 30%. So don't think he'd be eligible.
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Hall2012 wrote:How many redshirts do you think Aiken can get? lol

Anyway, hard to say who's staying and who's going with the impending coaching change. I would expect everyone who plans to playing in college again at least to hit the transfer portal. We'll see if the new coach (expected to be Holloway), is able to recruit them back or goes for his own guys.

I read somewhere online that his career was over. Sometimes, it is just time.
ArmyVet

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:44 pm

I would think that Shaheen's contract will get more expensive with each additional SPU win. Plus there must be some desire to get him signed ASAP to start recruiting. Are Hall fans okay with Shaheen making a final four run at another school?
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 pm

kayako wrote:I would think that Shaheen's contract will get more expensive with each additional SPU win. Plus there must be some desire to get him signed ASAP to start recruiting. Are Hall fans okay with Shaheen making a final four run at another school?

Yes we're cool with that! Imagine what taking St. Peter's to the final four would do for his reputation and recruiting! There's really no downside to us this weekend. Either Sha's legend continues to grow or we get to announce our man next week. Not complaining either way.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:43 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Imagine what taking St. Peter's to the final four would do for his reputation and recruiting!

Good point, I hadn't considered reputation points. Hopefully you guys see an uptick in recruiting. At the end of the day, you need great players to win consistently.
supernova
kayako

Postby Django » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:22 pm

The Hall's coaching situation seems quite healthy and reminds me of Creighton's with the Altman-to-McDermott transition...

I always liked Willard, he was one of the most entertaining guys but also always was so positive and a strong champion for the conference. Really thought he was undervalued but he got the Pirates into a solid footing and it looks like his "heir" Shaheen could really take them to another level.
Django

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:04 am

Django wrote:The Hall's coaching situation seems quite healthy and reminds me of Creighton's with the Altman-to-McDermott transition...

I always liked Willard, he was one of the most entertaining guys but also always was so positive and a strong champion for the conference. Really thought he was undervalued but he got the Pirates into a solid footing and it looks like his "heir" Shaheen could really take them to another level.

One thing Zagoria posted today which was interesting was his perception that Holloway has done more media in the last week than Willard did in the last year.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:26 am

stever20 wrote:
Django wrote:The Hall's coaching situation seems quite healthy and reminds me of Creighton's with the Altman-to-McDermott transition...

One thing Zagoria posted today which was interesting was his perception that Holloway has done more media in the last week than Willard did in the last year.

Year or 12 years? lol
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board