Big East basketball games can be forfeited due to COVID

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:11 pm

Glad to see the Big East be proactive on this. I feel like if all teams played a full schedule last year, Jays would have back to back Big East regular season titles.

Big East basketball teams will forfeit league games this season if they cannot take the court due to issues related to COVID-19.

The league announced the policy on Thursday for both men's and women's basketball in the 2021-22 season. The Big East board of directors approved it.

Last season was full of postponements and cancelations as multiple squads across the league had to manage positive COVID-19 test results and deal with lengthy competition pauses.

Only Creighton and Butler played all 20 Big East games on the men's side. Xavier only got 13 conference games in. Villanova, the regular season champion by percentage points, played 15.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East basketball games can be forfeited due to COVID

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:01 pm

I don't know...I have a hard time finding 2 losses in the 5 games Nova missed.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I don't know...I have a hard time finding 2 losses in the 5 games Nova missed.

Without Gillespie? Man, Nova played 5 games less than Creighton. I’d forgotten it was that many. My recollection was that if Nova had lost at UConn, Jays had the win percentage over Nova.
Omaha1

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:11 am

Omaha1 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I don't know...I have a hard time finding 2 losses in the 5 games Nova missed.

Without Gillespie? Man, Nova played 5 games less than Creighton. I’d forgotten it was that many. My recollection was that if Nova had lost at UConn, Jays had the win percentage over Nova.

Talk about grasping at straws. Let me clear up some of this "Fake News" ( :lol: ).
1. Gillespie was hurt in the 2nd to last game of the conference season vs. good Old Creighton. In fact he would have not missed any other conference game that was scheduled.
2. If they played @Uconn on 1/15, as scheduled, Bouknight would not have played as he was injured (just as the Jays played them while Bouk was out). UConn lost 4 conference games during the stretch that he was out. Still confident in that as a Nova L?
3. Do you think with Gillespie they were going to lose either game to DePaul?
4. That leaves 2 games vs. X. I hope you don't think that last year's X team, that finished under .500 in league play, and battled Covid stops and starts, would have swept Nova. Even if I conceded a loss at X, that puts us still a game ahead of the Jays in the standings at 20 games.

C'mon now...you guys had every opportunity to win the league outright. Our PG hurt his knee in the first half of our game and you guys still couldn't get the W. You have no one to blame but yourselves.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:58 pm

Omaha1 wrote:

Gillespie was hurt late enough that he wouldn't have missed any of the unplayed games. And even without him, I think 3-2 to finish tied with the Jays would be the worst case scenario. The unplayed Villanova games were:

DePaul x2
Xavier x2
UConn

IMO, the most likely scenario is Nova would've gone 4-1 to still win the league outright, with 5-0 being more likely than 3-2.

Without Gillespie, perhaps 3-2 becomes more likely than 5-0, but I'd still bet on 4-1. They're not losing to DePaul either way and it's very unlikely they get swept by Xavier, so I'd put 3 wins in the bag to start. That leaves 2 "losable" games - UConn and 1 with Xavier. This is still Nova we're talking about though, so I'd bet against the 0-2.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Should've been that way in-league last year.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby LMS » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:17 pm

I think the argument was that if Villanova had played one additional game at UConn and lost that game, CU would have won the league. I believe that is true.
LMS

Postby TBC Alum » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Geez, can we talk about the actual topic and stop with the "my dad can beat up your dad" hypothetical pissing contest??

I think this could have a huge impact on BE tourney and post-season. I haven't had the chance to read up on this. Does this apply only to BE conference records? I imagined one of the stat nerds would have gone back to last season and shown the impact if this year's rule was applied.
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:12 pm

It depends on what the determining factor is on whether or not a game can be played. Is a team forfeiting for 1 positive test? Are they good to go so long as they can dress 5 guys? Where's the line?
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:15 am

The devil is in the details. Not sure we know the details. Simply says if a team is unable to play they will forfeit the game and it will count as a loss in the standings. What will be truly interesting is that if both teams are unable to play, they will both receive a loss in the big East standings.
Omaha1

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board