preseason poll out

The home for Big East hoops

Re: preseason poll out

Postby milksteak » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 am

NJRedman wrote:
milksteak wrote:
NJRedman wrote:So right now Butler is the 28th best team in the country? You honestly think thats more accurate than 8th in the BE?

They’re closer to 28th in the country than 8th in the Big East. 8th in the Big East is equivalent to like a .500 record. Barring a major injury, I just don’t see that happening when you have Kelan and Kamar.

No they aren't closer to 28th in the country. You think they legitimately are in the top half of the conference? If they were selected 7th would you think they should be higher? If they were 6th would you still say they should be higher? 5th? 4th? Anything less than 1st you'd still be complaining because you think Butler is much better than it actually is.

List the BE teams Butler has a better back court than. Also list the teams Butler has a better front court than. List the teams Butler has a better coach than. List the teams Butler has a better bench than. I want to see just how good you think your bulldogs are.

I said they were closer to 28th in the country than 8th in the conference. 8th in the conference is like 100th in the country. I never said anything about 1st or even 4th. I have them 5th this year. I would’ve even been okay with 6th because I think Creighton and Butler are interchangeable. Just gave my Dawgs the edge. ;)

The 8th-placed team in the Big East is typically a bad team. I just don’t think this is a bad team. I could certainly be wrong, but this team finishing 8th would be a colossal dissapointmemt given the amount of talent.

NJRedman wrote:List the BE teams Butler has a better back court than. Also list the teams Butler has a better front court than. List the teams Butler has a better coach than. List the teams Butler has a better bench than. I want to see just how good you think your bulldogs are.

Too many unknowns with coaching, but the front court is definitely near the top. Kelan and Wideman, who will be starting for his third-straight year. Fowler is a nice piece coming off the bench for the front court. Backcourt is a little underwhelming outside of Kamar, who will be one of the best defensive guards in the league. He’s a pretty savvy offensive player too. But Thompson, McDermott, Jorgensen, David and maybe Baddley will all be pieces to this team.

If that isn’t enough for 5th, then fine. I don’t care, and I’m not changing my pick.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEXU » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 pm

JP Macura started every game on a Big East Elite Eight Team and averaged 14.4 ppg. Not sure how that only rates a "mention". Maybe fallout from the "pants" episode. :D
BEXU

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Butler and Creighton are Not interchangable at 5th & 6th. The coaches have their various school sunglasses on and milksteak is optimistic.

Creighton will finish 3rd in the league this 2017-18 season and as long as Butler is behind the Jays I don't care where they finish. Our frontcourt is underrated and PG is just fine with
Kaleb Joseph, Davion Mintz behind him. Marcus, Khyri, Ronnie, and the fellas are ready to roll (#RollJays) - bring on the season.

Seton Hall, X, and Prov should be ready to be bumped down a spot or two from the preseason prognostications. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Ahh, c'mon GTMO, I was waiting for your yearly Nova bashing too! Picking the Jays 3rd is so unlike you.

That said, there is so much balance amongst the top 8 teams... crazy good games this year.
Novachap

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Novachap wrote:Ahh, c'mon GTMO, I was waiting for your yearly Nova bashing too! Picking the Jays 3rd is so unlike you.

That said, there is so much balance amongst the top 8 teams... crazy good games this year.

Not this year...Mikal Bridges is way underrated. Plus you guys have Booth back and the Big Fella is eligible. A lot of weapons available.
You may lose a few more than normal, but still the pick of the litter. Of course...playing the Jays at the WF was not a good move...shades of Wragge. ;)

Imagehttps://twitter.com/Matt_Hoov/status/921047686626906112/photo/1
View image on Twitter
Follow
Matt Hoover @Matt_Hoov
@NickBahe You're right about Khyri - should have been more than BE honorable mention. One of the best returning @BIGEASTMBB players on paper
11:17 AM - Oct 19, 2017
7 7 Replies 5 5 Retweets 14 14 likes
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 am

I agree about Khyri T. I love that kid’s game. Excellent defender, can shoot, doesn’t make many bad decisions. He’s one of the 10 best players in the league IMO without any doubt.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Ahem...

This is just for NovaChap and his perception of my consistencies... ( I don't subscribe to the following notion this coming season. )

Bridges is the most underrated player in the league, and Booth is back...but they won't get sufficient support from the cast of characters on Nova's team.
Brunson is overrated, not close to being the best PG in the league and will make stupid Frosh-like mistakes all season. Spellman needs another year of pine-riding in order to learn the system
as he's not the shiniest apple on the tree and will bog down the offense. Dhamir"Bill" Cosby-R will be assaulting people all season and fouls will reduce what little effectiveness he has.
DiVincenzo and Paschall become divisive with Big Head disease - breaking team chemistry and Coach is so cocky this season he mails it in.

Nova will not repeat as SH, X, Prov, and Cr8n all extract a pound of flesh this season, as well as 1 or 2 conference upsets (Butler, Marquette??) upset the Cats apple carts.
Looks as though they may tie for 3rd or drop to 4th this year.

How's that NovaChap? Meet your expectations?

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Now, that is what I expected! Thanks GTMO, always a pleasure reading your posts.

Wragge.. argh.
Novachap

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Glad to oblige... Nova just has too much returning, depth, and confidence from winning 4-straight titles. Even a fool like me has to acknowledge the strategic advantage they have. That is not to say they won't receive challenges this season, but until someone actually unseats them...or they implode...or injuries...Villanova is still the pick, the cream of the BE.

I didn't do a list of standings this year, nor did I participate in Omaha1's polls. However I find it difficult to see Butler as 8th in the league. It could happen, but my gut says one of the top4picks will implode (a lot like Cr8n did after Watson was lost). Butler has not done well in even numbered years (2017/18), but there is insufficient data to make an assertion that this will be a down year. I can see them 5th-7th.

Are X, Prov, and SH really ready to unseat Nova. Will the non-con, discord, being the target, or injuries derail their seasons. Aside from X,teams not used to being hunted often have "issues" when the tables are turned. That is the Big Question.?

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby jfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Novachap wrote:Now, that is what I expected! Thanks GTMO, always a pleasure reading your posts.

Wragge.. argh.
Novachap, whenever I get depressed about Creighton basketball, I sometimes go on you tube to watch the first 8 minutes of that game (I know --sad). The pure artistry of the shooting and the range of Wragge's shots were remarkable. How they were able to do that to a great Nova team is still a mystery and one that I hope we can figure out soon!
CREIGHTON
jfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board