JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 am

billyjack wrote:Cooley is not leaving PC for Georgetown.

First of all, he's a Providence guy. The Hoyas might as well pursue Mullin... same likelihood of it happening.

Secondly, Georgetown isn't going to try to poach a guy from the Big East... on the surface it makes no sense... Big East players can't transfer between schools, but a coach transfer would be allowed...? Makes no sense.

it's not happening, but there are no rules that would prevent it as far as I know.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby EMT » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 pm

I have heard rumors that JT the old man has personally asked the search committee to reach out to Cooley. That he loves Cooley.

Cooley would clean up recruiting to Gtown.
EMT

Postby sciencejay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Burrito wrote:Paul Tagliabue and AD Lee Reed will lead national coaching search for new #Hoyas coach, per university spokesperson.

They better not screw it up. Firing a coach doesn't accomplish anything unless his replacement improves the situation.

What I think this clearly shows is that GT did not have "their man" lined up before they sent JTIII packing. That can be a mistake. I'm not sure why they let JTIII go when they did--they had a few weeks to get feelers out and have some preliminary discussions. They already lost their top recruit (I guess he's waiting for GT to let him out of his NLOI), so there was no down side to keeping JTIII around a while longer while they made sure they got their guy. I think getting rid of him was the right way to go, but not to have someone in place before his termination became public is potentially a mistake. I hope things don't end up being worse for the Hoyas.
sciencejay

Postby anXUfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

EMT wrote:I have heard rumors that JT the old man has personally asked the search committee to reach out to Cooley. That he loves Cooley.

I would be shocked if Georgetown took a coach from another Big East school. I think they support the conference too much.
anXUfan

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

ESPN named Cooley as a candidate too, but I really don't see it happening. Out of respect for a conference-mate if for no other reason. I think the Big East schools have a much closer relationship than schools within other conferences do and that relationship would prevent this from being a realistic possibility.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 pm

anXUfan wrote:
EMT wrote:I have heard rumors that JT the old man has personally asked the search committee to reach out to Cooley. That he loves Cooley.

I would be shocked if Georgetown took a coach from another Big East school. I think they support the conference too much.

I don't think it has anything to do with not supporting the conference. To borrow the earlier posters recruiting analogy: Do other Big East schools back off recruits who commit to other Big East schools to support the conference?
It's business. Any ire that would come from such a coaching hire just fans the flames of competition. Cooley has one feather in his cap that others don't, and that's his familiarity and success within the conference - with fewer resources.
I'm not saying he's my #1 candidate. I'm a Ewing guy. However, I wouldn't be shocked or taken aback by a Cooley hire. If that's who they want then I'm fine with it.
Is Cooley a more sound choice than Ewing? I can't answer that. I'm sure there will be data supporting the ultimate guy. It's not personal.

I'll leave this here (CBS Sports.. mentions Cooley): http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ext-coach/
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Of the handful of coaches listed over on Casual Hoya...the 2 that stand out are Amaker and Brey.

Brey is a local, recruits well, and gets to the Dance regularly. He's underpaid at ND and has a great reputation. Of the guys touted thus far, he is the proper pick over Amaker, Pitino, Miller, Ewing (who appears to be slated to return to the NBA sooner than later). Some folks are talking about Shaka Smart as a candidate, but he's making grand theft money and recruiting well at UT, imo he's not a serious candidate for the Hoyas. I'm holding out for Wainwright... :lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby pc5151 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Why not Frank Martin or Scott Drew. Frank Martin's South Carolina team reminds a lot of the old school Georgetown teams. I think he would do very well at Georgetown. Scott Drew may want out of the athletic departments mess at Baylor. Another name is Buzz Williams, Georgetown is a major step up from Va Tech. It would definitely turn up the heat in the Georgetown/Marquette game.
pc5151

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Can someone please explain to me why Georgetown is thought of as the premier brand/coaching job in the Big East rather than Villanova? The Wildcats have won four straight regular season titles and two of the last four tournaments. They've been to two Final Fours since 1984 to Georgetown' s one. They've won two national titles, both since Georgetown' s one and one of them just last year. They are the ones who have gotten a true nationwide audience by appearing on national TV in the Big Dance (the only time of year when the spotlight is truly on college basketball) for all but, what, three years since 2000, while Georgetown has repeatedly missed or bowed out of the Big Dance early.

Villanova, to me, is easily the most premier job/brand in the league. I'm not saying Georgetown isn't still a big deal, but they play second fiddle to Villanova along with the rest of the league until proven otherwise.
Michael in Raleigh

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Michael in Raleigh wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Georgetown is thought of as the premier brand/coaching job in the Big East rather than Villanova? The Wildcats have won four straight regular season titles and two of the last four tournaments. They've been to two Final Fours since 1984 to Georgetown' s one. They've won two national titles, both since Georgetown' s one and one of them just last year. They are the ones who have gotten a true nationwide audience by appearing on national TV in the Big Dance (the only time of year when the spotlight is truly on college basketball) for all but, what, three years since 2000, while Georgetown has repeatedly missed or bowed out of the Big Dance early.

Villanova, to me, is easily the most premier job/brand in the league. I'm not saying Georgetown isn't still a big deal, but they play second fiddle to Villanova along with the rest of the league until proven otherwise.

I think sometimes people get caught up in numbers of championships, though of course that's important.

The Georgetown rise in the 1980's coincided with... cable TV being introduced, Magic-Bird re-invigorating college hoops again, 64-team tourney, etc etc...

In the 80's alone:
- '84 title.
- 3 national finals.
- 3 Final Fours.
- 6 Elite-8's.
- ranked almost continuously except maybe 1981.
- twice eliminated in the Elite-8 or beyond by fellow Big East teams.

in addition, Georgetown was a team that crashed the NCAA party, and didn't apologize for it. No kneeling to the d-head college hoops old guard overlords. Had an outspoken African-American coach who didn't take sh-t from anyone, the first to win a national title in college.

Had a fun style of play with Sleepy Floyd then Patrick Ewing, while also bruising and battering anything in their path. Tough. Confident. Bad ass. Attitude. Ranked. Ewing. Mourning. Mutombo. Top team in the top conference in the country, in the biggest media centers in the country.

In the 90's they added another Elite-8 and through '96 continued to be ranked. Iverson. Still had the great attitude and toughness.

Villanova had an outstanding program throughout this time, and their success also gets overlooked because people focus on 1985 alone usually, and forget their Elite-8's in 1982 and 1983 and 1988, so 4 in the 80's. But they were never as hard edged as Georgetown and didn't figuratively carry the Big East banner. Not sure they ever won a Big East Tournament in the 80's.

Villanova had to me the greatest coach, in Rollie Massimino... guy's numbers were amazing, just counting the NCAA wins he had as a lower seed, really incredible. Knew his team and personnel and knew their capabilities perfectly. Their 1988 run that i've mentioned several times was genius.

Anyway, seeing JT3 let go this week is really tough, because it's the end of an era which started when i just started following college hoops 40 years ago... and people as they get older often don't want to see good things from their past come to an end, right? That's why there is something cool about Mullin coming home, and hearing Raftery's voice... represents a continuation or rebirth of good parts of our past.

Anywho, that's my long take on Georgetown being a blueblood.
:)
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board