2017 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class could be the best yet

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:59 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:recruiting isn't way up like you want to make it seem. You can't just take the ratings right now for this year and take them seriously- over half the p5 (and Georgetown) not even with anyone yet.

Also look at 247 composite rankings from 2012....

Georgetown 17
Providence 20
Xavier 26
St John's 29
Villanova 30

5 top 30 schools.

you say well that's just 1 year...

St John's 9
Georgetown 16
Xavier 21
Villanova 25
Marquette 36
Seton Hall 45
DePaul 46

So where exactly is this uptick? Maybe for Creighton and Butler yeah- but the other schools were recruiting pretty darn well before this happened...

So no, I don't think recruiting is up exactly. But it's not down either.

So of the top 100 that have committed so far (38), 7 of them are to BE schools. You're right, recruiting is way down.

and of the 62 that haven't committed, 37 of those are top 50 guys. 51 are top 75 guys. How many more of the top 75 guys are the Big East going to get?
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Stever:

2017: 10 four stars
2016: 1 five star and 12 four stars
2015: 2 five stars and 9 four stars

But yeah, keep repeating your one line about how teams like Kentucky and Duke will pass the current Big East teams once the top 5 stars commits. We all know that, though. Nobody is arguing against that or claiming we'll finish with 8 or 9 top 50 teams.

Recruiting has been excellent this year. That's the point and you can't dispute that.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:08 pm

my point is that recruiting hasn't really taken much of an uptick with the new conference. Go look at the 2011 and 2012 classes. They were excellent. 2012 had 13 4 and 5 star guys. 5 top 30 schools. 11 had 7 top 50 schools.

And my point is that a lot of what is left in the top 100 is in the top 50 and that's not normally where the Big East makes a lot of push. That's just the reality of things.

Lets see if the Big East can keep 6 teams in the top 50. Got 7 in the top 50 right now- but Providence, Seton Hall, and even St John's need to get more players to remain in the top 50.
stever20

Postby Novachap » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Stever... hold onto your hat here. Cant speak for others, and obviosly its not done until the kids sign, but dont assume nova is done, 5 stars included.
Novachap

Postby Westbrook#36 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Same old stever, sky is always falling on the BE. OTOH, if the AAAAAAC had the BE recruiting results we've had the last 3 years, he'd be claiming that they were killing it.
Westbrook#36

Postby adoraz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

stever20 wrote:my point is that recruiting hasn't really taken much of an uptick with the new conference. Go look at the 2011 and 2012 classes. They were excellent. 2012 had 13 4 and 5 star guys. 5 top 30 schools. 11 had 7 top 50 schools.

And my point is that a lot of what is left in the top 100 is in the top 50 and that's not normally where the Big East makes a lot of push. That's just the reality of things.

Lets see if the Big East can keep 6 teams in the top 50. Got 7 in the top 50 right now- but Providence, Seton Hall, and even St John's need to get more players to remain in the top 50.

lol you're just moving goalposts. I could say there's been an uptick this year vs the prior 2, which is true (assuming we get a few more recruits during the next year). I could say certain schools have seen an uptick in talent, which is also true.

You've been on here for nearly 4 years talking about how recruiting would take a hit. It's clearly not falling off, so now you're saying that it isn't better than it was 5 years ago and painting that as a bad thing. Sorry but I really don't see your point. Give credit where it's due. Nobody in here is claiming this class will be the best in college basketball or that we've seen a large uptick in talent vs the old Big East (I'm not sure about this- but some schools have at least).

6 teams in the top 50 I think would be a good goal to shoot for. I'd also like to see at least one or two 5 star players to solidify the class.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Xudash » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I'm trying to picture this board as if it were a bar and we were all sitting around, having drinks together.

It seems as though Stever is the guy who is sitting by himself, barking out occasional thoughts just to get a rise out of everyone.

He's clearly in the wrong place, mentally, physically or both. Yet he chooses to come to this bar. He wears a Georgetown hat, but seems to take up for the AAAAC incessantly, while not finding much intellectual space for supporting his program's conference.

Stever, does this "bar" provide you the attention you crave, even though that attention comes at such a rep cost to you?

BTW, Xavier is waiting on and probably close to snagging another major commitment. So, have another drink, move your goal posts again, and get ready for the bellowing laughter from the main table - laughing "at" and not "with."
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jet915 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Xudash wrote:I'm trying to picture this board as if it were a bar and we were all sitting around, having drinks together.

It seems as though Stever is the guy who is sitting by himself, barking out occasional thoughts just to get a rise out of everyone.

He's clearly in the wrong place, mentally, physically or both. Yet he chooses to come to this bar. He wears a Georgetown hat, but seems to take up for the AAAAC incessantly, while not finding much intellectual space for supporting his program's conference.

Stever, does this "bar" provide you the attention you crave, even though that attention comes at such a rep cost to you?

BTW, Xavier is waiting on and probably close to snagging another major commitment. So, have another drink, move your goal posts again, and get ready for the bellowing laughter from the main table - laughing "at" and not "with."

Lol, atleast it seems stever is admitting now that Big East recruiting hasn't worsened like he predicted 3 years ago. Hopefully X can get Scruggs and Nova can get Walker.
Jet915

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:24 am

stever20 wrote:my point is that recruiting hasn't really taken much of an uptick with the new conference. Go look at the 2011 and 2012 classes. They were excellent. 2012 had 13 4 and 5 star guys. 5 top 30 schools. 11 had 7 top 50 schools.

Stever being Stever. Classic. Warns us all that, "just wait recruiting is going to fall off big time in this new conference." Then when it doesn't claims victory and states that "it might be similar to how it was before, no better." Yet he fails to recognize that programs like Creighton, Seton Hall, Butler and X, are now recruiting at a significantly higher level than before.

Your statement above that recruiting now is the same as Big East 2011-2012 is as much an admission of being wrong than anything you can write. Keep on moving that agenda forward.

#NationalF'ingChamps
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:26 am

Also Stever I ask for one thing... Other than the ACC--which I will concede is a better BB conference at the top than the BE--tell me which conferenceS are doing better than the BE in attracting talent?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board