Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby Jet915 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:33 pm

ArmyVet wrote:I'm a little surprised that Memphis doesn't seem to be higher on their list. I think there's a lot of potential for both hoops and football and the geographic location works as well.

Academics stink.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Jet915 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:I'm a little surprised that Memphis doesn't seem to be higher on their list. I think there's a lot of potential for both hoops and football and the geographic location works as well.

Academics stink.

So does most of the Big 12 though right?
ArmyVet

Postby Jet915 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:29 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Academics stink.

Not compared to Memphis, i dont know much about the school but i have a friend who lives in the area and he equates it to a community college....
Jet915

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 am

ArmyVet wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Academics stink.

Stinks? No, I don't think so. Texas, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State are all either very good or at least very solid universities. I doubt we could really describe the others as schools that "stink". If we did, we'd be starting to include some Big East schools along with them.
Bill Marsh

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Stinks? No, I don't think so. Texas, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State are all either very good or at least very solid universities. I doubt we could really describe the others as schools that "stink". If we did, we'd be starting to include some Big East schools along with them.

Bill, which school are you a fan of again?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:06 am

Semi off topic...

I watched some of the new "Vacation" movie that came out last year. Storyline is that Chevy Chase's son Rusty is grown up now, and is taking *his* family out to Walley World. On the way out they stop at his wife Christina Applegate character's alma mater Memphis State, where they show a ridiculously over the top party school... i wonder if Memphis State approved of the use of their name...
Providence
billyjack

Postby whiteandblue77 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Latest report, Oklahoma and Texas to SEC, Big XII blows faster than the Hindenburg.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby jaxalum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:49 am

DudeAnon wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Stinks? No, I don't think so. Texas, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State are all either very good or at least very solid universities. I doubt we could really describe the others as schools that "stink". If we did, we'd be starting to include some Big East schools along with them.

I've actually wondered that myself or missed it. Which school(s) are you fans/alum(s) of? Contextually it really helps to understand a persons post/opinion by knowing where there bias may lie. I am an admitted X homer....and BIg East Conference homer.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 am

jaxalum wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

I've actually wondered that myself or missed it. Which school(s) are you fans/alum(s) of? Contextually it really helps to understand a persons post/opinion by knowing where there bias may lie. I am an admitted X homer....and BIg East Conference homer.

BillM is one of the best posters on this board IMO. He may actually respond, if he so chooses, but if I remember correctly he lives in the New England area and follows both PC and UCONN. Either way I don't think his providing a dissenting opinion should force him to somehow prove his allegiance to the BE (if that is what is being insinuated).
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby billyjack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 am

Right, Bill Marsh is my favorite poster.

Bill is a fan of UConn and Providence, and the Big East... loves and respects old school indies. His children include 1 or 2 Providence grads and i think a BC grad, maybe a Marist or Fordham grad is in his family, and he's totally on our side in making the Big East grow. He's a regular attendee of Manhattan Jaspers games or at least MAAC games.

He goes further back than me in following college hoops... he can speak in length on Vernon Giscombe and Mike McAndrew and Nehru King. He probably knows the height and weight of John Pinone off the top of his head. He knows the difference between Rory Sparrow and Rory Calhoun. I act like an expert and know-it-all, and even I defer to Bill for advice and information. Whereas i was 11 when the Big East was formed, Bill i think was in his 20's so has a great perspective on things.

Anyway, i put a lot of weight into his opinion on UConn athletics. I wish he would post more often.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board