State of the Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Re: State of the Big East

Postby sju88grad » Fri May 27, 2016 9:52 am

Gumby,

Thanks for posting! That was a beautiful summary of the current state of the Big East and it really feels like things are trending up. The first 3 years have been amazing. I was fortunate to be in NYC in March and attended the BET for the first time in many years and it felt like the Big East of old. The championship game on Saturday night was unreal. I love the new additions and as previously mentioned, the fact that hoops is the focus of our conference makes it an appealing destination. Now if my Johnnies can make it back, it will be nirvana!! :)
sju88grad

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DemonLS » Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 am

How about your Johnnies (NY) and my Demons (Chicago) making it back?
DemonLS

Postby stever20 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:15 am

to me the biggest change with the Big East has been the transfer market. It feels- ESPECIALLY in these last 2 years- like the number(and quality) of transfers- has gone way up. IMO- THAT is where the being bball only(or bball predominant) would make the bigger difference.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:32 pm

It's incredibly funny to see so many people adamant that the Big East would fail several years ago...

... I would also add that so many people were adamant that the AAC would be considered a power conference and that they were in such a better position/conference than the C7 were.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xavier4036 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Excellent post and state of the Big East!

I anxiously await Stever's attempt at a response.
Xavier4036

Postby Redstorm1987 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:43 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Was thinking a "State of the Union - Big East version" was in order. Maybe we can even have Stever sit in to provide the rebuttal comments afterwards. In no particular order I cited 8 negative perceptions that we BE fans had to endure through the first 3 years and a few events that has helped define us:

1. "All the best HS talent is going to go to the P5 schools." People (some on this board) predicted that our recruiting would suffer and we'd slowly become a mid-major conference.

The Reality: Our recruiting messaging of an elite hoops-first conference is resonating. Just about every BE program is recruiting better than they did 4 years ago. The young talent we have coming in is exceptional, and we also seem to be attracting some of the best transfers from other programs as well. Talented kids want to be a part of this conference. There is really no denying that any more.

2. Buzz leaves for VA tech; Stevens leaves for the Celts. "Coaches are going to leave these stepping-stone programs for greener pastures."

Reality: We have a slew of young coaches that the schools have locked down, all leading their "dream jobs." Wright, Mack, Holtman, Cooley, Mullin, Big Mac, Willard--I don't see much turnover in the coaching ranks for a while. Meanwhile look at the age of the legendary coaches in conferences like the ACC. Many of those guys are on the verge of riding off into the sunset. The BE is in very good shape coaching-wise.

3. "The BE just doesn't have the talent."

Reality: NPOY in year 1. This year we're likely to see 3, maybe 4 BE kids drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft with 2 likely going in the top 10.

4. "The BE can't really compete for a NC."

Reality: :D

5. "The BE is top heavy. It's just not a deep league like the P5 leagues."

Reality: 8 different teams have made the tourney in just 3 years. We have a highly competitive league from top to bottom.

6. Preseason year 1: "If BE is going to be any good it will require the BE powers to be good: G'town, Nova, Marq and SJU have to all carry the load."

Reality: When the league was formed Marquette was probably the most consistently successful nBE program over the previous 10 years. G'town so far has also under-performed to their normal high standards. SJU has been up a little, but mostly down. Can you imagine if those 3 can get back to where they once were? We'll be a serious load as a conference. And on the flip side, other old school BE programs like PC and SHU have really stepped forward. PC is 3 for 3 in getting to the tourney. Outstanding. Add the 3 new programs who have all contributed mightily and were tremendous additions in their own right, and we collectively do not need to rely on any specific program to carry us.

7. "We're not on ESPN. That's a huge mistake."

Reality: I don't know how the sports media wars are going to shake out, but I do know a couple of things: 1). whenever my team plays, I can watch them in crystal clear HD; 2). whenever other conference teams play I can find them on TV easily--mostly in crystal clear HD; 3). BE commercials air on Sunday afternoon football broadcasts (are you kidding me); 4). we don't need to share the channel with a dozen other leagues. We are FS1's priority. Honestly I think we are a little spoiled by this media deal. We can watch all the games and our programs are making a ton of money on it. Meanwhile ESPN continues to make drastic cuts.

8. "The ACC or the B1G is going to get NYC & MSG for their tourney."

Reality: 1/2 right. The B1G did get MSG from us. Oh wait...they're going to play their tournament a week early? Really? :lol: And the ACC did bring their tourney to NYC...oh, wait..Brooklyn? Have at it fellas. Not quite the bright lights of Manhattan now is it? :lol: Saturday night before Selection Sunday in MSG is about as perfect as you're going to get if you are a college hoops junkie. And it's ours for a long, long time.

So there we are... The state of our BE union is tremendously strong going into year 4. If Whitehead and Hart come back you may see as many as 4, maybe 5 teams in the Top 25 next year. The Nova NC wipes away all that negative "BE isn't a big boy" nonsense talk. And it forces media talking heads to recognize that we have had a lot of great teams in the conference since day 1. I fully expect us to be a top 4 conference every year for the foreseeable future. And for us to keep moving towards being the single best college basketball conference in the nation.

There you have it. God Bless the young men who take the court for our respective schools, and represent each so well, and God bless the Big East Conference.

St. John's mostly down ?
St. John's has been very competitive ( except last year ) in the new Big East.
Redstorm1987

Postby adoraz » Mon May 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Redstorm1987 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Was thinking a "State of the Union - Big East version" was in order. Maybe we can even have Stever sit in to provide the rebuttal comments afterwards. In no particular order I cited 8 negative perceptions that we BE fans had to endure through the first 3 years and a few events that has helped define us:

1. "All the best HS talent is going to go to the P5 schools." People (some on this board) predicted that our recruiting would suffer and we'd slowly become a mid-major conference.

The Reality: Our recruiting messaging of an elite hoops-first conference is resonating. Just about every BE program is recruiting better than they did 4 years ago. The young talent we have coming in is exceptional, and we also seem to be attracting some of the best transfers from other programs as well. Talented kids want to be a part of this conference. There is really no denying that any more.

2. Buzz leaves for VA tech; Stevens leaves for the Celts. "Coaches are going to leave these stepping-stone programs for greener pastures."

Reality: We have a slew of young coaches that the schools have locked down, all leading their "dream jobs." Wright, Mack, Holtman, Cooley, Mullin, Big Mac, Willard--I don't see much turnover in the coaching ranks for a while. Meanwhile look at the age of the legendary coaches in conferences like the ACC. Many of those guys are on the verge of riding off into the sunset. The BE is in very good shape coaching-wise.

Reality: NPOY in year 1. This year we're likely to see 3, maybe 4 BE kids drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft with 2 likely going in the top 10.

Reality: 8 different teams have made the tourney in just 3 years. We have a highly competitive league from top to bottom.

6. Preseason year 1: "If BE is going to be any good it will require the BE powers to be good: G'town, Nova, Marq and SJU have to all carry the load."

Reality: When the league was formed Marquette was probably the most consistently successful nBE program over the previous 10 years. G'town so far has also under-performed to their normal high standards. SJU has been up a little, but mostly down. Can you imagine if those 3 can get back to where they once were? We'll be a serious load as a conference. And on the flip side, other old school BE programs like PC and SHU have really stepped forward. PC is 3 for 3 in getting to the tourney. Outstanding. Add the 3 new programs who have all contributed mightily and were tremendous additions in their own right, and we collectively do not need to rely on any specific program to carry us.

Reality: I don't know how the sports media wars are going to shake out, but I do know a couple of things: 1). whenever my team plays, I can watch them in crystal clear HD; 2). whenever other conference teams play I can find them on TV easily--mostly in crystal clear HD; 3). BE commercials air on Sunday afternoon football broadcasts (are you kidding me); 4). we don't need to share the channel with a dozen other leagues. We are FS1's priority. Honestly I think we are a little spoiled by this media deal. We can watch all the games and our programs are making a ton of money on it. Meanwhile ESPN continues to make drastic cuts.

Reality: 1/2 right. The B1G did get MSG from us. Oh wait...they're going to play their tournament a week early? Really? :lol: And the ACC did bring their tourney to NYC...oh, wait..Brooklyn? Have at it fellas. Not quite the bright lights of Manhattan now is it? :lol: Saturday night before Selection Sunday in MSG is about as perfect as you're going to get if you are a college hoops junkie. And it's ours for a long, long time.

So there we are... The state of our BE union is tremendously strong going into year 4. If Whitehead and Hart come back you may see as many as 4, maybe 5 teams in the Top 25 next year. The Nova NC wipes away all that negative "BE isn't a big boy" nonsense talk. And it forces media talking heads to recognize that we have had a lot of great teams in the conference since day 1. I fully expect us to be a top 4 conference every year for the foreseeable future. And for us to keep moving towards being the single best college basketball conference in the nation.

There you have it. God Bless the young men who take the court for our respective schools, and represent each so well, and God bless the Big East Conference.

St. John's mostly down ?

We've been down, below average, compared to most Big East teams and where we were in the 80s/90s. We've made the tournament 1/3 years while the average is 50% in the Big East. In that one year we were a first round exit. We haven't won a BET game.

Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Providence and Creighton all have been more successful, without question. That leaves only Marquette and DePaul who we've outperformed.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby mel ott » Mon May 30, 2016 10:34 pm

To the previous post - times change and teams ebb and flow with success. the beauty of this league- we are brothers- some years will be good and some bad for individual members. A common bond and a relationship in which ( while we want to beat each other like brothers) we want each of us to win. That " all for the Big East" is unique in major conferences, but seems naturally to all of us. The Presidents of the Catholic 7 got it right. We will continue to be a very top Basketball conference that will win with a solidarity of its members and with class. I know all CU fans are proud to be members of the Big East!
mel ott

Postby MUBoxer » Tue May 31, 2016 10:17 pm

adoraz wrote:
Redstorm1987 wrote:

St. John's mostly down ?

We've been down, below average, compared to most Big East teams and where we were in the 80s/90s. We've made the tournament 1/3 years while the average is 50% in the Big East. In that one year we were a first round exit. We haven't won a BET game.

Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Providence and Creighton all have been more successful, without question. That leaves only Marquette and DePaul who we've outperformed.

Marquette actually has more wins to it's name since the formation of the New Big East.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board