Gavitt Tipoff Games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gavitt Tipoff Games

Postby stever20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:19 am

anXUfan wrote:
stever20 wrote:
anXUfan wrote:This coming week X has a home game Monday before heading down to Orlando for a tournament. If they could do the Gavitt home game next year on Monday then I don't see the big difference.

Contractually the games are Tuesday-Friday. Not on Monday due to Monday Night Football.

I am unconvinced that Monday would be off limits due to a conflicting late evening event carried on neither Fox nor the Big 10 Network. If they wanted to fit a game in and were scared silly of competing with MNF (seems strange) they could just start at 6:00 or something. If both parties wanted it the contract would be no obstacle.

It's Monday Night Football. The Big Ten wouldn't want a game going opposite MNF- and they would have a lot of pull with this. Given when they announced the series, they specifically said Tuesday thru Friday- it would be a HUGE surprise if they did anything on Monday.

I really wonder if you're going to find that the Big East starts to discourage teams from going to Puerto Rico for just this reason.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Let's not treat Puerto Rico like it's flying to Hawaii. It takes about 6 hours to make it to Puerto Rico, based off what I saw online. That's not that different from a cross country trip. Also, all these teams have charter jets, I believe. No lines, no waiting, just get on the plane and go.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby NovaBall » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:40 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Love this series but I hope the matchups are better next year. FS1 got alot of stinkers.

a big part of that is that Big Ten gets to sit out 6 teams each year.

the 6 that sat out this year
Mich St(would have to be late in the week due to Champions classic)
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio St
Purdue
Wisconsin

You would think those 6 would be in next year.

All the big ten teams have to play at least 4 games, so we will see them all at some point.

Also, I don't think the purpose of these games is to necessarily pit the best team against each other, but rather a chance to schedule another major conference team without a complicated individual arrangement. It's convenient for both parties with good exposure. Sometimes you might see a Maryland v Georgetown type game, but other times you will see some more lopsided matches. Nothing more, nothing less, and I like it.

Stever is a riot. Still doing his thing. I heard that the big east is going to put into its contract no Saturday night games at DePaul anymore in jan or February because it gets too windy and those games should be played during the day....
NovaBall

Postby NovaBall » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:28 pm

I can't believe Val Ackerman was such a moron to allow Georgetown to play in the 2k Classic at the garden against Duke knowing that the finals would be up against football!! Moron!!
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:03 pm

XUFan09 wrote:Let's not treat Puerto Rico like it's flying to Hawaii. It takes about 6 hours to make it to Puerto Rico, based off what I saw online. That's not that different from a cross country trip. Also, all these teams have charter jets, I believe. No lines, no waiting, just get on the plane and go.

the problem though is that there are a lot of events that take place the day before.

It'll be interesting to watch and see. My hunch is that Xavier won't be in next years games. Just logistically would be extremely difficult.
stever20

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:44 pm

stever20 wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:Let's not treat Puerto Rico like it's flying to Hawaii. It takes about 6 hours to make it to Puerto Rico, based off what I saw online. That's not that different from a cross country trip. Also, all these teams have charter jets, I believe. No lines, no waiting, just get on the plane and go.

the problem though is that there are a lot of events that take place the day before.

It'll be interesting to watch and see. My hunch is that Xavier won't be in next years games. Just logistically would be extremely difficult.

They'll be in next year, out the next.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Hearing that Creighton will not be in the Gaviitt Tipoff next year.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board