B10 COMMISSIONER DELANY WANTS MORE SCHOLARSHIPS

The home for Big East hoops

Postby robinreed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Big 10 commissioner Delany sent a 12 page email to certain members of the press and to others in his conference proposing the NCAA immediately increase football scholarships by 7 and men's and women's basketball scholarships by 3 each for Division 1 schools. I am uncertain if this will apply to P-5 conference schools only or to all D1 schools. If his proposal is accepted by the P5 who now have autonomy for such decisions there will be 92 football scholarships and 16 each for men's and women's basketball. He also suggests making freshmen ineligible for college ball. Universities would still be able to play students for 4 years but they would need to spend 5 years at the school to complete eligible time.

It seems the power grab by the major conferences (i.e. P5) goes on and on. I have seen this report on two sports websites but not on any sports-news sites like ESPN as yet. Clearly the football schools will be the ones hurt the most by this however costs for our schools will increase as well.

Are the P5 schools trying to bleed us dry? What say you.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: B10 COMMISSIONER DELANY WANTS MORE SCHOLARSHIPS

Postby NovaBall » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:47 pm

I don't get how this is "bleeding us dry"?

I'm against the freshman ineligibility. Let the kids play. The dozen or so good enough to leave after a yr, good for them. It's a very small percentage of kids playing, so who cares.

It seems like the additional scholarships is more about adding the year of eligibility, not so much to have more active players on the roster.

I don't think that increasing our roster sizes would hurt us either. Our schools recruit pretty well, we could fill a nice roster.
NovaBall

Postby marquette » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Considering how many players transfer due to few/no minutes already I don't see how this helps anything.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby chuck1991 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:07 pm

chuck1991

Delany is a Jerk

Postby DemonLS » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 am

My recommendation is that the rest of the conferences in the country spurn the Big 10. They should form their own new NCAA Tournament and leave the Big 10 out. Lets see how much money the Big 10 will make when their post season tournament is their ONLY tournament.
DemonLS

Return to Big East basketball message board