Chris Holtmann contacted by Tennessee

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Holtmann contacted by Tennessee

Postby XU85 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am

Coach Mack was in a similar situation with Tennessee a couple of years ago. Has Butler offered him an extension yet? If not, he would be foolish not to listen to offers.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:34 pm

I read that article earlier today, and it was painful. The writing style is that of a high school freshman who hasn't been told yet to cut out the excess verbiage and to stop thinking he can be like Charles Dickens. The angst of the article was obnoxious and over-the-top, like it was written by a freaked-out fan on the forums rather than a supposed "professional." His attempt to be a "realist" was the worst, though. He treats Holtmann leaving as inevitable if he's actually received an offer, when coaches almost always listen to serious offers to at least hear the people out, even if they just end up using the offer as leverage with their current contract.

If Holtmann ends up leaving, this article is still embarrassing. If he stays after receiving offers, though, the writer looks all the more like a fool.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:45 pm

How much for Butler to just buy Holtmann out and send him packing, with or without an offer from Tenn?

At this point I wouldn't want to pay this ass-clown another red cent of Butler's money.
ChelseaFriar

Postby marquette » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 pm

ChelseaFriar wrote:How much for Butler to just buy Holtmann out and send him packing, with or without an offer from Tenn?

At this point I wouldn't want to pay this ass-clown another red cent of Butler's money.

Something happen I don't know about?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:55 am

marquette wrote:
ChelseaFriar wrote:How much for Butler to just buy Holtmann out and send him packing, with or without an offer from Tenn?

Something happen I don't know about?

Yes, I had several shots and many beers while watching the ND game at a bar with several ND grads! :D

In all honesty, I get that this is a career for these guys and I have always understood it (unlike some Friar fans, I never held it against Pitino for going to the Knicks right after extending his contract or Gillen for going to UVA). It's just sort of annoying that this job basically fell in this guy's lap because the head coach went AWOL and not even a full season later he is throwing his name out there. I guess I'm used to someone conducting themselves like Brad Stevens did when I look at Butler. This is the opposite.

In any event, if he bolts I don't think it's a huge deal for Butler. He put together a solid year this season with other coaches players. Looks promising but if he's the type who is going to split in 2 or 3 years it's probably better off that he pounds sand now so Butler can find someone who will stick around for 5 years before flirting with other schools.
ChelseaFriar

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:44 am

If Holtmann leaves that is embarrassing, simply put.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Nice, the writer thinks Holtmann will stay, especially thanks to Rick Barnes and the Belmont coach being in better positions to take the job.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 pm

There have been a couple things happening which contradict everyone's early opinions on how serious these talks were.

1. The day it was announced that he had been in touch with Tennessee, he was over in Ohio recruiting 2015 wing Kipper Nichols. This one's probably the least significant, but if I'm seriously considering an offer from another school (if one was even given), I wouldn't be out on the recruiting trail trying to convince kids to come play for me.

2. Jordan Gathers is coming to Butler to play for one year, and thanked Coach Holtmann for the opportunity. If I'm coming in as a graduate transfer and only have 1 year of eligibility, my first question would be whether or not the guy who's recruiting me is going to be there.

3. Andy Katz came out today and stated that Butler has been in negotiations with Holtmann on a contract extension since the end of the season. Does that mean he's not going to take their call? Of course not. In the coaching business, if you'd even be remotely interested in a job, you listen. Greg Marshall is meeting with Alabama today, which would be able to pay more, but I think would be a step down in a lot of ways to what he has at Wichita State. Is anyone suggesting they kick him to the curb if he comes back to the Shockers? I don't know what the terms of Holtmann's original deal were, but he probably wasn't making Brad Stevens money or anywhere close to that, and he's clearly performed above his original figures, so he should get a nice pay bump this year.

Finally, I would rather the coach be upfront with me about his intentions to move on rather than what Stevens did, which was completely blindside everyone with the news that he was leaving, including guys that he was recruiting like JP Macura and Trevon Bluiett. This move completely turned them off to wanting to come to Butler and left the University in the worst possible position of trying to have to fill a coaching vacancy after everyone had already been hired. Granted, this decision landed them Holtmann, but at the same time, I'd rather somebody punch me in the face and expect it to come than to get cold-cocked when I'm not even looking.
Irishdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board