Tue March 3rd, 2g, GU-Butler, VU-CU...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tue March 3rd, 2g, GU-Butler, VU-CU...

Postby billyjack » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:01 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:Butler hasn't beaten many really good teams in the last month and a half. 6 of the wins- Marquette, Creighton, and DePaul. Only other wins were vs Seton Hall and St John's. 0-5 against the top 3 teams in the conference. Also, I'm not the only one who said something about Butler. Might want to go and look at the thread....

Yeah but you are always the one that tries to (not so subtly) treat the BE as if it is a glass half empty and every other league as if it is glass half full. It's a BE message board Stever. You don't need to be Devil's Advocate in every single post. Let BE fans communicate with other BE fans without feeding your urge to piss on everyone's Cheerios.

Let's recap Butler. I really think you are tremendously off base here. Two last second losses to Gtwn (who they actually beat in the preseason), a buzzer beater loss vs the #4 team in the country, a big win vs. SJU (tourney team) and a big loss @ X (tourney team). And they beat the other teams that quite frankly have beaten several "good" BE teams this year. Why would you just dismiss them. They win last night if they hit some FT's. Big deal. If they had gotten blown out in every game, then you might have a point. But they played tough, could have won any of those games sans @ X, and you think that signals them not being ready for the tourney. Whatever dude.

I agree.

Also, I think Butler has both athleticism and size. Woods put on some muscle since last year. Their young guys Chrabascz, Martin and especially Wideman are bruisers. Wideman also adds a tough attitude too. Dunham and Barlow are solidly built. And Roosevelt Jones is a fullback type.

The Big East has been so successful this year, that some here are really reaching for any possible negatives.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:46 pm

billyjack wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:Butler hasn't beaten many really good teams in the last month and a half. 6 of the wins- Marquette, Creighton, and DePaul. Only other wins were vs Seton Hall and St John's. 0-5 against the top 3 teams in the conference. Also, I'm not the only one who said something about Butler. Might want to go and look at the thread....

Yeah but you are always the one that tries to (not so subtly) treat the BE as if it is a glass half empty and every other league as if it is glass half full. It's a BE message board Stever. You don't need to be Devil's Advocate in every single post. Let BE fans communicate with other BE fans without feeding your urge to piss on everyone's Cheerios.

Let's recap Butler. I really think you are tremendously off base here. Two last second losses to Gtwn (who they actually beat in the preseason), a buzzer beater loss vs the #4 team in the country, a big win vs. SJU (tourney team) and a big loss @ X (tourney team). And they beat the other teams that quite frankly have beaten several "good" BE teams this year. Why would you just dismiss them. They win last night if they hit some FT's. Big deal. If they had gotten blown out in every game, then you might have a point. But they played tough, could have won any of those games sans @ X, and you think that signals them not being ready for the tourney. Whatever dude.

I agree.

Also, I think Butler has both athleticism and size. Woods put on some muscle since last year. Their young guys Chrabascz, Martin and especially Wideman are bruisers. Wideman also adds a tough attitude too. Dunham and Barlow are solidly built. And Roosevelt Jones is a fullback type.

The Big East has been so successful this year, that some here are really reaching for any possible negatives.

You could make a real case that this year and last year are extremely similar years....
there are a few MAJOR differences.....
1- last year Creighton was a bully at 14-4. This year best case 2nd place finishes 12-6. Who benefits? For one Xavier. They wouldn't be where they are w/o sweeping Georgetown. Or if PC finishes 2nd, could say the same thing with St John's.
2- the weaker teams especially in the 7th seed weaker. #7 Seton Hall could finish 2 games worse than last year's #7, Georgetown. Who benefits? The middle tier of teams of course.

I think folks forget how close we were last year to getting 5-6 teams in. If St John's had won vs Villanova in late Feb, they are dancing for sure. If Georgetown beats Marquette in the OT game or even the 2nd game vs Marquette where we lost by 2, we're 18-12, with no bad loss to DePaul in the BET. Think that's probably a dancing resume.

I think when you look objectively at things, last year wasn't as bad as we think, and this year not as good as we think. Like someone said a few weeks ago(may have been Gumby)- just 1-2 plays make the difference between a tourney team and a non tourney team. I think the Big East this year/last year is a PERFECT example of this.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Had no idea what thread this would fit in. But I liked this tweet

Fifty Shades Of Jay ‏@JMLedgewood 7h7 hours ago
Interesting, 2012-2013 Big East teams combined with current Big East teams rpi rankings, just cuz I hate hearing NBE
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby R Jay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:13 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Had no idea what thread this would fit in. But I liked this tweet

Fifty Shades Of Jay ‏@JMLedgewood 7h7 hours ago
Interesting, 2012-2013 Big East teams combined with current Big East teams rpi rankings, just cuz I hate hearing NBE

This would be an amazing basketball conference. 8 or 9 bids, probably.
Unfortunately it would be a scheduling nightmare. Do you play 16 teams once and 1 team twice? Maybe 6 teams twice, 6 teams once and not play 5 teams at all? Maybe 5 teams twice, 8 teams once, and not play 4 teams?
Also, the conference tournament would last 6 days.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Bearcat_Bounce » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I hope Georgetown and Butler play each other in the Big East tournament, then do not get into the NCAA's or NIT and get into the CBI. Then they both make it to the finals of the CBI and play the best of 3...going 3 games. That would mean they met 7 times in one season...LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Bearcat_Bounce

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:I hope Georgetown and Butler play each other in the Big East tournament, then do not get into the NCAA's or NIT and get into the CBI. Then they both make it to the finals of the CBI and play the best of 3...going 3 games. That would mean they met 7 times in one season...LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I think only way they could do that would be if both won on Saturday- getting the 2/3 seeds. Otherwise, on separate sides of the bracket-mean they wouldn't play until the title game. Thus 1 gets the auto bid.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board