ESPN: Big East at a crossroads in Year 2

The home for Big East hoops

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11750375/big-east-conference-basketball-crossroads-entering-second-season

Pretty good stuff, I always enjoyed Dana's work. She sort of bypasses Xavier and takes a dig at Butler and Creighton, but oh well.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN: Big East at a crossroads in Year 2

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:33 pm

DudeAnon wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11750375/big-east-conference-basketball-crossroads-entering-second-season

Pretty good stuff, I always enjoyed Dana's work. She sort of bypasses Xavier and takes a dig at Butler and Creighton, but oh well.

She's horrible and it's just another ESPN hatchet job.
NJRedman

Postby R to the OB » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm

As a Creighton fan, I wouldn't call that a dig. I've read a lot worse (looking at you Greenberg and Goodman). However, the article as a whole is certainly another ESPN hack job aimed at dismissing the Big East.
R to the OB

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 pm

R to the OB wrote:As a Creighton fan, I wouldn't call that a dig. I've read a lot worse (looking at you Greenberg and Goodman). However, the article as a whole is certainly another ESPN hack job aimed at dismissing the Big East.

Exactly, if the mid-western schools mean it's not the Big East then the 7 new ACC schools should mean it's not the ACC anymore. Does Notre Dame, Louisville and Pitt scream ACC?
NJRedman

Postby R to the OB » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:58 pm

NJRedman wrote:
R to the OB wrote:As a Creighton fan, I wouldn't call that a dig. I've read a lot worse (looking at you Greenberg and Goodman). However, the article as a whole is certainly another ESPN hack job aimed at dismissing the Big East.

Exactly, if the mid-western schools mean it's not the Big East then the 7 new ACC schools should mean it's not the ACC anymore. Does Notre Dame, Louisville and Pitt scream ACC?

No. They don't. I thought that to be very hypocritical.
R to the OB

Postby FormulaX » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm

NJRedman wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11750375/big-east-conference-basketball-crossroads-entering-second-season

She's horrible and it's just another ESPN hatchet job.

Yep, the only positive thing from them in 2 1/2 years, was acknowledging Doug McBuckets. Years ago, they all loved the private BB centered conference idea. Then it went to Fox and it has been "back handed slap city"
Can't wait to hear em, when this conference starts kicking ass.
FormulaX

Postby R to the OB » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:05 pm

While we're here, I think it's fair to say that the ACC disappointed in the tournament last year too. Six teams in the tournament, only four made it to the round of 32, and only two made it to the sweet 16. No Elite Eight or Final Four teams.
R to the OB

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:15 pm

R to the OB wrote:While we're here, I think it's fair to say that the ACC disappointed in the tournament last year too. Six teams in the tournament, only four made it to the round of 32, and only two made it to the sweet 16. No Elite Eight or Final Four teams.

Don't forget that they were also given favorable seeds and brackets.

They also like to say that Nova lost to UConn in the round of 32, but fail to mention that UConn went on to win the whole damn thing. It's not like they lost to Mercer!
NJRedman

Postby Noonzy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Screw ESPN!
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:59 pm

CBS had a similar type of article last week and not much was said about it.

And pretty much one of the biggest quotes in the article was from JT3 himself.
"For the last 20 years we could say we were the best basketball conference in the country,'' said Georgetown coach John Thompson III. "Now we can say we are arguably the best basketball conference in the country. We say we're still pretty good but people are looking at that dip and saying, why?''

or what Ackerman said herself...
"We were built to be a basketball powerhouse and our intention is to remain as one.''

Those are 2 pretty telling quotes from key people in the conference. The fact that's getting said is pretty telling....
stever20

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board