The case for the Big East adding Gonzaga

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The case for the Big East adding Gonzaga

Postby DeltaV » Tue May 14, 2024 5:35 pm

redmen9194 wrote:No need to expand. Not at all. 11 is perfect. No one out there worth adding.

If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat May 18, 2024 12:37 pm

Okay Shizzle...

This horse has been severely beaten repeatedly in the 'conf realignment' thread. It seems that every potential angle was previously covered in those discussions - schedule increase, reputation of the Zags & the conference, #'s of bids (shoutout to JP Smack), various assorted new team configurations, etc., etc., etc.; ad nauseum. But thanks for your inputs in 'refreshing' the disscussion.

Note: If we follow Shizzles advice and add the Zags, we ought not stop at 12. Go competitive @ 16, by adding imploded ACC castoffs: Duke, Notre Dame, & Syracuse; along with one of Carlton Univ. (Ottawa), Holy Cross, or St Bonaventure. All have excellent pedigree and histories. Never miss an opportunity to tout the Bonnies.

Redmen9194, DeltaV... I get your sentiments, as this 'discussion' is years' old and all. However, the right dominoes have not yet fallen. Whenever the B1G/SEC raid the ACC, the scramble of the remainders will begin. Culling "replacements" from the AAC, A-10, C-USA, etc., will not come close to replacing the football defectors - Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, and a couple of others, The ACC's annual payouts will plummet to AAC levels. The Dukes' and S'cuses' will also bolt for higher ground - namely a basketball conference as both their football programs suck. Enter the BEast to the rescue. The Touchdown Jesus' will keep their football indy and bring their other sports home to the BEast.
;)

Just saying...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby DeltaV » Sun May 19, 2024 7:55 am

gtmoBlue wrote:
Redmen9194, DeltaV... I get your sentiments, as this 'discussion' is years' old and all. However, the right dominoes have not yet fallen. Whenever the B1G/SEC raid the ACC, the scramble of the remainders will begin. Culling "replacements" from the AAC, A-10, C-USA, etc., will not come close to replacing the football defectors - Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, and a couple of others, The ACC's annual payouts will plummet to AAC levels. The Dukes' and S'cuses' will also bolt for higher ground - namely a basketball conference as both their football programs suck. Enter the BEast to the rescue. The Touchdown Jesus' will keep their football indy and bring their other sports home to the BEast.
;)

Just saying...

I think the chance that the remains of the ACC come calling to poach from us is just as likely, if not more so, than Cuse or others going Indy in football and joining us. Even with a large exodus to the BIG and SEC, there are enough schools left that it's still a good sized, competitive conference in basketball, and good enough football to at least maintain their existence.

UConn, and maybe a few others (Nova? Georgetown?) become very attractive at that point.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun May 19, 2024 11:20 am

Hmmm,

Okay, if you say so...

However only UConn plays at the FBS level (in the AAC).
Georgetown (Patriot League) and Nova (Coastal Athletic Assoc.) are both FCS schools.
(Nova won the FCS Championship in 2009.)

No way in hell that the Hoyas and Cats get pulled up to the FBS level. Neither school is even competitive at their current level (FCS) and they play in miniscule stadiums.
Hoops carries no weight in football decisions. Especially in a flailing (ACC) conference attempting to hold back the flood waters and maintain P4/5 status & money in Football.
The post-implosion ACC will be scrambling to get the highest possible competitive teams on the board, in their attempt to maintain FBS status and monies.

I can envision a scenario where ol' Uconn bolts to the dying ACC, while ND, S'cuse, and Duke abandon the sinking ACC ship. What fun. The Huskies love sinking ships (see AAC).
just sayin'
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Sun May 19, 2024 4:13 pm

DeltaV wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:
;)

Just saying...

I think the chance that the remains of the ACC come calling to poach from us is just as likely, if not more so, than Cuse or others going Indy in football and joining us. Even with a large exodus to the BIG and SEC, there are enough schools left that it's still a good sized, competitive conference in basketball, and good enough football to at least maintain their existence.

UConn, and maybe a few others (Nova? Georgetown?) become very attractive at that point.

I understand your point, and it is difficult to argue against it. That risk would exist.

I do agree with Gtmo that the new version of the ACC media agreement (without UNC, FSU, Miami and Clemson) would lead to a very reduced media payout per school. Nonetheless, with football still driving the decisions these schools will have to make, they will do anything most likely to save the conference.

For giggles, let’s assume that the payout per ACC school post defections comes in at $20 million (virtually cut in half from where it is now). That would be for everything; football and basketball. And that may be generous. What percentage of that is assigned to the basketball value side of this? I would think it would be closer to $5 million than $10 million (i.e. 50% of the total agreement value).

We are at $4 million per school right now, hopefully moving north of $7 million soon.

Any such move by a Big East school to a diminished ACC conference would be a mixed bag of risks and benefits. Become associated with bigger schools, including UCONN. Goodbye MSG and hello Greensboro, at least for a few years. Goodbye to existing conference NCAAT units and hello to exit fees and ACC entrance fees.
Most importantly, football would be the driving force of that conference. Déjà vu all over again.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DeltaV » Mon May 20, 2024 10:01 pm

[double post
Last edited by DeltaV on Mon May 20, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Mon May 20, 2024 10:19 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Hmmm,

Okay, if you say so...

However only UConn plays at the FBS level (in the AAC).
Georgetown (Patriot League) and Nova (Coastal Athletic Assoc.) are both FCS schools.
(Nova won the FCS Championship in 2009.)

No way in hell that the Hoyas and Cats get pulled up to the FBS level. Neither school is even competitive at their current level (FCS) and they play in miniscule stadiums.
Hoops carries no weight in football decisions. Especially in a flailing (ACC) conference attempting to hold back the flood waters and maintain P4/5 status & money in Football.
The post-implosion ACC will be scrambling to get the highest possible competitive teams on the board, in their attempt to maintain FBS status and monies.

I can envision a scenario where ol' Uconn bolts to the dying ACC, while ND, S'cuse, and Duke abandon the sinking ACC ship. What fun. The Huskies love sinking ships (see AAC).
just sayin'

Nova going FBS was considered, not that that long ago (2007 or so? 2011? I forget exactly). They would have played in the soccer stadium down in Chester.

Georgetown is an academic powerhouse. There are a lot of good schools in the ACC, especially amongst the assumed remainder. If they want to position themselves as the East Coast near ivy with athletics, they'd let Georgetown do whatever with football and include with other sports.

I love to hate on the ACC as well, I've been around long enough to know what they (well, really ESPN) did to the original Big East. But thinking that the ACC is just going to dissolve because a few teams leave is naive. Duke is going to leave for a conference of Northern City schools? No way, they think they're an Ivy, they wouldn't associate with Catholics (we don't want the Irish!).

Maybe Syracuse (and Pitt) would consider leaving. The Domers will go BIG and give up independence once they're told that no one who matters will schedule them for football. But football still rules the roost, unfortunately. We're already seeing that in the new NIL and free agency era, being a team doesn't matter (am I going to recognize a single name on Nova roster next year when I turn on my first game?). Name and affiliation do, and like it or not ACC is the bigger name.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board