Marquette National Championship... 47 Years Ago Tonight...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Marquette National Championship... 47 Years Ago Tonight.

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

Xudash wrote:I stand corrected, billy. I'll be damned. I did admit to watching the game in a nice bar that evening - so I may have been over served.

Pretty hard for that song to have been in play that night since he wrote it in 1980. Good catch on your part.

No worries Xudash... very similar Finals with a lot of the same people-- Enberg, McGuire, Packer... with a future C-USA/Big East team winning their first championship by beating a blue blood... both on NBC... plus i'm sure you did watch all the Finals back then... very easy to confuse...
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 am

Django wrote:Great stories Billy we are the same age and I have similar memories while starting my fandom with Creighton, where my whole family tree went for generations… Marquette was our rival but we cheered on our Jebbie brothers… Al would comment later as an announcer that Creighton stall game, which we were doing for decades before the 70s, prepared the Warriors for Dean Smith’s four corners

Great era of basketball. Yes, our 11 fanbases are stable and span generations.

Clemson making the Elite 8 last night-- they said it was their 1st and only since 1980. Always was confused that their coach was Bill Foster in 1980, and the pre-Coack-K Duke coach was also named Bill Foster (78 Finals).

Also, you probably remember that early round games in the NCAA weren't all televised. Some games we would have to find on grainy UHF stations.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

billyjack wrote:
Django wrote:Great stories Billy we are the same age and I have similar memories while starting my fandom with Creighton, where my whole family tree went for generations… Marquette was our rival but we cheered on our Jebbie brothers… Al would comment later as an announcer that Creighton stall game, which we were doing for decades before the 70s, prepared the Warriors for Dean Smith’s four corners

Great era of basketball. Yes, our 11 fanbases are stable and span generations.

Clemson making the Elite 8 last night-- they said it was their 1st and only since 1980. Always was confused that their coach was Bill Foster in 1980, and the pre-Coack-K Duke coach was also named Bill Foster (78 Finals).

Also, you probably remember that early round games in the NCAA weren't all televised. Some games we would have to find on grainy UHF stations.

Kids today would be blown away by how we watched the tourney back in the day. I remember how radical it was when ESPN picked it up. And still remember the 1130pm et game on CBS when that came around.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board