Postby pki1998 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:45 am

Xavier
pki1998

Great Sports Illustrated Article

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Great Sports Illustrated Article

Postby FenwayFriar » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:11 pm

Good article by Pat Forde. The conference also came out with a similar article about the first 10 years of the reconfigured BE:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/3/7/mens-basketball-new-big-east-at-10-years-mission-accomplished.aspx
FenwayFriar

Postby Xudash » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:35 pm

As the BET rages on, continuing to provide thrilling television, I'll take comfort in the bolded statement:

Still, nothing is permanent in college sports, and that could affect the Big East’s successful rebuild. The Fox TV deal runs for two more years—and then what? The company has invested massively in college football now; does it still have money to spend on a basketball conference?

“No one needs to worry here,” Ackerman says. “Our value has been proven over and over.”

On the brink of losing its identity a decade ago, the Big East swam headlong into a strong current—choosing to be borne back into its past. Ten years to the day after taking that plunge, it will celebrate its continued relevance this week in The Garden.

“This conference stood for something, then it tried to stand for all these things, then it tried to stand for that same thing again—a basketball-focused, college league in a football-driven world,” Ackerman says. “I just love the idea of that.”

Does FOX still have money to spend on basketball? That strikes me as being a bit of an asinine statement.

Do I believe Val Ackerman and that she knows what she is doing? Absolutely.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:00 pm

I hate the term ‘New’ Big East. Six of the original 8 members (yes, Villanova was one of the original membership despite their delayed entrance) are currently members today. They were the core back in 1979 and they remain the core today. So, how is this group “new”? When the core lost programs which had been added in the league’s initial expansion, it re-expanded with new additions. This is not a “new” Big East” but the old Big East with some new friends. At least that’s the way I see it.
Jasper67

Postby FenwayFriar » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:14 pm

Another "reconfigured Big East at 10 years" article from, of all places, The Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/college-basketball/article-11838441/Big-East-conference-reincarnated-10-years-death-original.html
FenwayFriar

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:43 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:Another "reconfigured Big East at 10 years" article from, of all places, The Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/college-basketball/article-11838441/Big-East-conference-reincarnated-10-years-death-original.html

That was a good read.

Someday they'll have an article about the rise of the Holy Land of Hoops...

".... "Admin" from Marquette had a vision. He was tired of being pinned down with idiot football fans at CSNBBS and Scout Forums..."

He invited acquaintances from other schools... the artival of "gtmoblue" in early 2013 was a milestone moment. When Hall2012 signed, along with GoldenWarrior11, they knew they had something that would grab fans' interest. A then-villain joined, Stever20, with a sharp-edged tongue and an affinity for VCU and the American..."

"Looking back, we needed a guy to torment us hourly... it helped us focus and understand our goals and discussion points... we became better fans..."
Providence
billyjack

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:15 am

Jasper67 wrote:I hate the term ‘New’ Big East. Six of the original 8 members (yes, Villanova was one of the original membership despite their delayed entrance) are currently members today. They were the core back in 1979 and they remain the core today. So, how is this group “new”? When the core lost programs which had been added in the league’s initial expansion, it re-expanded with new additions. This is not a “new” Big East” but the old Big East with some new friends. At least that’s the way I see it.

Its only "New" in reference to the old conference which lets face it... they are technically right. It's a new charter from the ground up.

But in every day speak no one uses the term "New Big East" anymore. They did initially for like the first couple of years. But I don't hear the term on ESPN/FOX/CBS anymore. I think Villanova's two championships cemented that from a quality standpoint there is no quality difference between the old and the new.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Return to Big East basketball message board