Anderson safe?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Anderson safe?

Postby Jasper67 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:04 am

I wonder if Stanley had a relationship with Pitino during their days at Providence.
Jasper67

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:26 am

There seem to be members on the BOT at St. John's that are opposed to Pitino. One of the reasons Anderson has enjoyed a lot of support is because he's a high quality, high integrity individual. An easy guy to root for.

Pitino on the other hand has the baggage we all know about, plus who knows what else, since we all know the underside of major college basketball is a bit of a cesspool. There are members of the Board, that feel the basketball coach is the face of the University, and that overrides wins and losses. Surely, the donors and the Board don't always see eye to eye.

The Board has managed to drive off Mike Repole, a billionaire alum who was previously heavily invested in the basketball team. He blasted the Board and former President in a very public interview a few years back, on WFAN with Mike Francesa, another Johnnie alum. When referring to influential Board member Joe Oliva he commented, "if you handed Oliva a football and a basketball and asked him to tell you which was which, he'd have a fifty fifty chance of getting it right". It's a funny line, but goes to show the total dysfunction within the St. John's community.

So Repole is now totally estranged from the University, while the Board seems more concerned with having an altar boy running the basketball team, as opposed to a winning coach with a proven track record. Hopefully Father Shanley will see things differently and support taking the measures needed to upgrade the basketball program. I'm just guessing there will be a compromise, a coaching change will be made, but not with Pitino. That's just my opinion.

One other thing is, Georgetown will also be looking for a new coach as well. And if it comes down to St John's and Georgetown, I think Georgetown wins. They have more money, it's a more prestigious job, and is probably an easier rebuild than St. John's. Also, Pitino has a son that went to Georgetown, so he does have a connection there. Plus if there's a more united front coming from Georgetown, he may decide he doesn't need the drama, and just sign on there. Personally, I'm 100% behind trying to get Pitino. He's the only home run hire . He'll get an immediate buzz going in the City.

Imagine FOX trying to set up a big TV game with an improved St. John's team against Kentucky. Pitino vs Calipari again. There's all kinds of possibilities. But it will likely never happen, because St John's can never move forward without shooting themselves in the foot first.
Last edited by hoops22 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoops22

Postby billyjack » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:29 am

Jasper67 wrote:I wonder if Stanley had a relationship with Pitino during their days at Providence.

i'm pretty sure Shanley has a positive opinion of Pitino, like most of us Friar fans and lifelong Rhode Islanders (except for the cranks in our fanbase).
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 am

adoraz wrote:From what I've read on forums and Twitter, credible posters say he's gone. Fortunately the initial report is likely incorrect or strategically placed for leverage.

or like someone replied to him on his report- Sounds like a very nice placement to motivate donors/alumni to take action if they want Anderson removed.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:46 am

hoops22 wrote:There seem to be members on the BOT at St. John's that are opposed to Pitino. One of the reasons Anderson has enjoyed a lot of support is because he's a high quality, high integrity individual. An easy guy to root for.

Pitino on the other hand has the baggage we all know about, plus who knows what else, since we all know the underside of major college basketball is a bit of a cesspool. There are members of the Board, that feel the basketball coach is the face of the University, and that overrides wins and losses. Surely, the donors and the Board don't always see eye to eye.

The Board has managed to drive off Mike Repole, a billionaire alum who was previously heavily invested in the basketball team. He blasted the Board and former President in a very public interview a few years back, on WFAN with Mike Francesa, another Johnnie alum. When referring to influential Board member Joe Oliva he commented, "if you handed Oliva a football and a basketball and asked him to tell you which was which, he'd have a fifty fifty chance of getting it right". It's a funny line, but goes to show the total dysfunction within the St. John's community.

So Repole is now totally estranged from the University, while the Board seems more concerned with having an altar boy running the basketball team, as opposed to a winning coach with a proven track record. Hopefully Father Shanley will see things differently and support taking the measures needed to upgrade the basketball program. I'm just guessing there will be a compromise, a coaching change will be made, but not with Pitino. That's just my opinion.

One other thing is, Georgetown will also be looking for a new coach as well. And if it comes down to St John's and Georgetown, I think Georgetown wins. They have more money, it's a more prestigious job, and is probably an easier rebuild than St. John's.

Also, Pitino has a son that went to Georgetown, so he does have a connection there. Plus if there's a more united front coming from Georgetown, he may decide he doesn't need the drama, and just sign on there. Personally, I'm 100% behind trying to get Pitino. He's the only home run hire . He'll get an immediate buzz going in the City.

Imagine FOX trying to set up a big TV game with an improved St. John's team against Kentucky. Pitino vs Calipari again. There's all kinds of possibilities. But it will likely never happen, because St John's can never move forward without shooting themselves in the foot first.

Thanks Hoops22.

Yes, great points.

Regarding Pitino with Georgetown, it does retain the Thompson legacy in a way, which would be good-- and it's a nod to 80's Big East ball... and the connections to the conference origins, JT Jr/ PC/ etc. i didnt know one of his kids went to Georgetown-- that is a good intangible for the Hoyas.

Regarding Pitino and St John's, it can be spun easily as a story of forgiveness and second chances, yadda yadda, and as a successful old timer returning to his New York roots-- jeez, it's very easy to spin this properly. I mean, the situation is perfect.

Fr Shanley is an absolutely super guy, if he wants Pitino, i think would be the perfect communicator to the Johnnies decision makers-- if they are ever going to be convinced, Shanley is the guy to do it.

No matter the school, as long as Rick is in the Big East next year it will be fantastic.

Hmm, maybe Rick to Georgetown and Richard to St John's...? Or Billy Donovan to St John's? I'm still pushing for Billy to return (haha) but my sons think i'm insane for thinking he'd leave the NBA.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:53 am

Just to follow up, if St John's is *not* willing to hire Pitino, then just stick with Mike Anderson for now. (also, Pitino is 70 but could coach for 6 7 8 years easily)

The "Redmen" forum is hilarious, with great back and forth. There are discussions about a guy named Olivo who has way too much influence, and the pushing away of "Repolge" (sp) who i think is the Vitamin Water guy and who had blasted Olivo on WFAN Francesca's show ("if you put a basketball and a football in front of Olivo, there'd be a 50% chance he could identify the basketball")...

Regarding Pitino and reputation, etc, a funny post said:

"Some of you guys really make me laugh when you talk about what will happen to the school's "reputation" if Pitino were to be hired. You guys really think that anyone who doesn't follow college basketball even knows who Pitino is??? And you guys really think that the large majority of people who know who Rick Pitino is are going to be appalled if we hire him??? No, the large majority of people who know who Rick Pitino is are going to be saying "holy crap, SJU just landed one of the greatest coaches of all time. They're back!!!". It's a very small minority of people who are hung up on all the other stuff."
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:57 am

Coach K going to be at the Providence/St John's game today.

Coach K to St John's????? j/k(I think!)
stever20

Postby billyjack » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:58 am

stever20 wrote:Coach K going to be at the Providence/St John's game today.

Lol hilarious.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:07 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:Coach K going to be at the Providence/St John's game today.

Lol hilarious.

right. I give it a 0.50% chance. Like Goodman said, Coach K worked with Cragg for over 30 years.

Wonder seriously though if Coach K might be trying to push for someone like Wojo.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board