Billy Packer passes away

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Billy Packer passes away

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:22 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Packer was in his hey day when the Jays were in the MVC. He would always piss all over the mid majors so I learned to dislike him. And as much as Dickie Simpkins might be having fun on the broadcast, I find him horrible to listen to.

I just wish Simpkins would spend a little extra time reading the material he's given on teams before he goes live.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 pm

I never cared much for Packer as an announcer myself, and was glad when he was no longer on the air. Way too much of an ACC homer for my taste. I thought he came off looking small that year St. Joe's was a No. 1 seed. It was an amazing accomplishment what that St Joe's team achieved, but Packer derided them saying they were unworthy of a one seed. As it turned out St. Joe's was a few seconds from punching their ticket to the Final Four when Oklahoma St hit a three to beat them in the last couple of seconds. Instead of Packer admitting he was wrong and that St. Joe's did represent well, he rubbed salt in the wound by declaring, that proved they were unworthy because they lost that lead at the last second. That same year Kentucky and Stanford each lost as one seeds, and never even made it to the Sweet Sixteen but Packer had nothing to say about that. I know, it's sad when someone passes away on a personal level, but to me he was a big blowhard all those years he was on TV.
hoops22

Postby Jasper67 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:36 pm

hoops22 wrote:I never cared much for Packer as an announcer myself, and was glad when he was no longer on the air. Way too much of an ACC homer for my taste. I thought he came off looking small that year St. Joe's was a No. 1 seed. It was an amazing accomplishment what that St Joe's team achieved, but Packer derided them saying they were unworthy of a one seed. As it turned out St. Joe's was a few seconds from punching their ticket to the Final Four when Oklahoma St hit a three to beat them in the last couple of seconds. Instead of Packer admitting he was wrong and that St. Joe's did represent well, he rubbed salt in the wound by declaring, that proved they were unworthy because they lost that lead at the last second. That same year Kentucky and Stanford each lost as one seeds, and never even made it to the Sweet Sixteen but Packer had nothing to say about that. I know, it's sad when someone passes away on a personal level, but to me he was a big blowhard all those years he was on TV.

Great post. I loved that St. Joe’s team and was crying in my beer when thy lost that OK State game.
Jasper67

Postby hoops22 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:49 pm

You and me both Jasper. I loved that team with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. It was like a punch in the gut when Ok St. beat them at the last second.
hoops22

Postby Jasper67 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:09 am

hoops22 wrote:You and me both Jasper. I loved that team with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. It was like a punch in the gut when Ok St. beat them at the last second.

Great school spirit at St. Joe’s. First time I saw them play was at MSG years ago. With 2 minutes to go and St. Joe’s clearly losing a tough, hard fought game that had gotten away from them, their student section stood up and started singing “The Hawk Will Never Die.” That’s a fan base you’ve gotta love!
Jasper67

Postby hoops22 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:34 am

I shouldn't be beating this St Joe's talk to death, but one other funny story came to mind. The Hawk, in my opinion is one of the best mascots in all of college sports. One year St Joe's was playing Temple in a Big 5 game, when the Hawk and the Temple Owl got into a fight during the game, and the Hawk had his head ripped off. Great stuff.
hoops22

Postby DeltaV » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:48 pm

hoops22 wrote:I shouldn't be beating this St Joe's talk to death, but one other funny story came to mind. The Hawk, in my opinion is one of the best mascots in all of college sports. One year St Joe's was playing Temple in a Big 5 game, when the Hawk and the Temple Owl got into a fight during the game, and the Hawk had his head ripped off. Great stuff.

Pretty sure it was while I was there, but some St Joe's students broke in to the fieldhouse and stole the Wil D Cat costume for a week or so. This would have been early 2000's, anyone else remember that?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Jasper67 wrote:Here’s an article about Billy and Al that I read decades ago. It really gives a feel for the two men. I love the part where they unexpectedly bump into each other in church. I should add that being from Brooklyn, I always had a special warm feeling for Al. We come from the same background and my wife and I met in his family’s bar/restaurant in Rockaway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1985/03/16/basketballs-odd-couple/00825f59-b50d-46a5-998d-8ccf7ec60c45/

Thanks for posting this article Jasper. A great read and refreshed my memory on a number of things. My 2 cents on the St. Joes talk. Also the year Xavier made their first Elite 8. They gave Duke all they wanted in that game. X had a center named Anthony Myles who was dominating. Early in the second half he went from two fouls to five in literally minutes. X hung tough the rest of the way but once he DQ'd, it flipped the momentum. Two Elite 8 teams from the A10. St. Joes & X had some epic battles that season.
DanofXav76

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board