Chris Beard

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Beard

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:05 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Not try to stir something up. I just disagree. I believe the woman when she says she started the fight and Chris acted in self-defense. Obviously its nothing to be proud of, but I guess I have grown up around a whole lot worse than what was described here. People get drunk and fight about stupid shit, if that costs someone their job the country shuts down next Monday.

I actually agree with your point.

If the lady herself said she started the altercation then self-defense is definitely something worth looking at. Wouldn't the law punish her if it was later to be found that she lied?

But at the end of the day we live in a society that preaches equality among all parties. But we sure as hell know that that isn't the case when it comes to domestic violence. Its a very touchy subject where the man that responds to a domestic violence assault will often be treated as the guilty person anyway. Universities know the potential PR mess this could be and respond accordingly.

I witnessed an altercation in the streets of the Bronx a year or two ago where a woman started beating up her partner. All the people nearby just watched, filmed, and some even laughed at what was happening. No one cares. But if the man dared to defend himself or hit the lady back you know he was going to go down.

Now, I don't really care at all about Chris Beard. If they did a deeper internal investigation and found he initiated the violence. Then fine. Fire him and even lock him up if warranted.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xusandy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:07 pm

So Beard is history. Big Deal. But what comes next for Texas, clearly a university with plenty of booster/alum bucks in the NIL era? Clearly, the Longhorns can make a super-attractive offer to the right guy. Just IMHO, it ain't Calipari, who just maybe ought to retire to the beach with an endless supply of umbrella drinks after this season. So maybe it's Nate Oates from Alabama as several commentators have suggested, but I also wonder if it ain't one of our great BEAST coaches -- somebody who could almost certainly get a much bigger payday at Texas.
xusandy

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:22 pm

xusandy wrote:So Beard is history. Big Deal. But what comes next for Texas, clearly a university with plenty of booster/alum bucks in the NIL era? Clearly, the Longhorns can make a super-attractive offer to the right guy. Just IMHO, it ain't Calipari, who just maybe ought to retire to the beach with an endless supply of umbrella drinks after this season. So maybe it's Nate Oates from Alabama as several commentators have suggested, but I also wonder if it ain't one of our great BEAST coaches -- somebody who could almost certainly get a much bigger payday at Texas.

Eric Musselman comes to mind. What about Kelvin Sampson?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:52 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
xusandy wrote:So Beard is history. Big Deal. But what comes next for Texas, clearly a university with plenty of booster/alum bucks in the NIL era? Clearly, the Longhorns can make a super-attractive offer to the right guy. Just IMHO, it ain't Calipari, who just maybe ought to retire to the beach with an endless supply of umbrella drinks after this season. So maybe it's Nate Oates from Alabama as several commentators have suggested, but I also wonder if it ain't one of our great BEAST coaches -- somebody who could almost certainly get a much bigger payday at Texas.

Eric Musselman comes to mind. What about Kelvin Sampson?

Is Texas a better job than Arkansas? Arkansas is a really good job, but maybe Texas has less pressure relative to the money?
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Jasper67 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:04 pm

Basketball will always play second fiddle at Texas. Not a great job IMO.
Jasper67

Postby XUFan09 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 am

Jasper67 wrote:Basketball will always play second fiddle at Texas. Not a great job IMO.

That's part of the appeal for a lot of coaches. There's generally less pressure then. I've regularly heard from insiders that Texas is considered one of the better jobs in college basketball between the money, the facilities, and the recruiting possibilities, but also the lower pressure relative to a lot of jobs with similar benefits.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board