Is Patrick Ewing the worst coach in basketball?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:09 pm

I think there’s a very valid argument there.

The record speaks for itself

But the playing minutes and throwing players under the bus really put him in front
DeadHeadHoya

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is Patrick Ewing the worst coach in basketball?

Postby Xudash » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:24 pm

I'm on the outside, looking in; my response here is actually a larger overall reaction to your question.

I'm a Xavier fan. I spent a large part of my life looking up to Georgetown - both the institution and the basketball program. In fact, I think it is at least partially fair to state that Georgetown put Xavier firmly on the basketball map when we upset you in 1990.

I'll now take a direct shot at your question: Patrick Ewing is certainly a bad enough coach that he should be terminated NOW, given his results, notwithstanding the recent run to the BE Championship and NCAAT birth. Enough is enough. Enough has been enough. Georgetown deserves better. And a strong Georgetown only helps both the Hoyas and the Big East.

Georgetown, the institution, should not simply keep plowing down this John Thompson dynasty road. It simply does not make any sense to grind on this track any longer. Georgetown is certainly bigger than the Thompson regime.

God bless him, but fire him now, and clear out any vestige of the Thompson regime that may remain.

Georgetown has the brand, the resources, the history and the location to build back quickly - certainly faster than most other programs would have a chance at doing.

You guys need to move on. You certainly deserve better.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:49 pm

Xudash wrote:
Georgetown, the institution, should not simply keep plowing down this John Thompson dynasty road. It simply does not make any sense to grind on this track any longer. Georgetown is certainly bigger than the Thompson regime.

God bless him, but fire him now, and clear out any vestige of the Thompson regime that may remain.

I think Ronny Thompson is still employed by the university. Not sure what his role is, but it's time to to start over with a clean slate. It's mind-boggling to me that a struggling BE team like Georgetown, and to a lesser degree St. John's, has not poached Pitino away from Iona yet. That fanbase needs a rock star HC right now.
supernova
kayako

Postby X Factor » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:27 am

DeadHeadHoya wrote:I think there’s a very valid argument there.

But the playing minutes and throwing players under the bus really put him in front

He might be, if it wasn't for Kenny Payne.

How Ewing won a BE Championship is beyond me.
X Factor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:32 am

I would say its undeniable Ewing is the worst coach in college right now. Kenny Payne is awful right now but this is his first year and he didn't recruit the transfer portal successfully. Ewing is in year 6 and really has no excuse at this point.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:37 am

X Factor wrote:
DeadHeadHoya wrote:I think there’s a very valid argument there.

He might be, if it wasn't for Kenny Payne.

How Ewing won a BE Championship is beyond me.

The bizarre COVID year really, spiked with the injury to Gillespie.
stever20

Postby redmen9194 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm

kayako wrote:
Xudash wrote:

I think Ronny Thompson is still employed by the university. Not sure what his role is, but it's time to to start over with a clean slate. It's mind-boggling to me that a struggling BE team like Georgetown, and to a lesser degree St. John's, has not poached Pitino away from Iona yet. That fanbase needs a rock star HC right now.

Although there has been interest by Pitino in the St. John's job, he's never going to get it. St. John's is just never going to hire him for a host of reasons. There is an element of the fan base that thinks if Anderson gets fired they will hire Pitino but it's just not happening in Queens.
redmen9194

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:18 pm

redmen9194 wrote:
kayako wrote:
Xudash wrote:

Although there has been interest by Pitino in the St. John's job, he's never going to get it. St. John's is just never going to hire him for a host of reasons. There is an element of the fan base that thinks if Anderson gets fired they will hire Pitino but it's just not happening in Queens.

Interesting that Pitino complimented Mike Anderson recently by saying that he expects St. John’s to be the most improved team in the country this year. Wherever he goes in college basketball, he wins.
Jasper67

Postby Jasper67 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:06 pm

Patrick started with a clean slate this year with just about all of the remnants of last year’s debacle gone. He brought in 7 transfers, 5 of whom had already had some success on the collegiate level. But there’s been little change. When you change the players and get the same result, there really is no place else to look than at the coach.
Jasper67

Return to Big East basketball message board