Is local print media dying and does it impact the Big East?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:29 pm

I was having this conversation with a family member yesterday and would like to get the opinion of folks in the Big East markets if this is something you have noticed.

As I peruse online platforms, I believe that I have seen more local print media including those from Big East area newspapers remarking that they have been furloughed or are not being sent to cover their teams on the road any longer. I am sure this isn't just happening to scribes in Big East towns, but since we have schools is large metro areas, it is a bit surprising to me that there isn't some kind of uproar or pushback from the customers.

Undoubtedly, print media has suffered a cruel fate over the past decade or so. Is there any way to reverse it?

I also wonder, if you used to receive a daily newspaper but do not any longer, do you have a paid subscription to any online version of those same papers or do you pay for information from another source?
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is local print media dying and does it impact the Big Ea

Postby Mufan15 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:10 pm

How many Big East schools still have full time local beat reporters assigned to them? I know Marquette does, no idea on everyone else.
Mufan15

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:19 pm

Mufan15 wrote:How many Big East schools still have full time local beat reporters assigned to them? I know Marquette does, no idea on everyone else.

Creighton does. It’s one guy who is covering all Creighton sports, so when we had both hoops teams ranked, womens volleyball playing and men’s soccer in the NCAA tournament, it was probably a bit much for him. Fact is that Creighton gets a fraction of the coverage that Nebraska does even though we are actually the hometown team.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DSquiz » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:02 pm

UConn being the state school is covered by all papers in the state so still has several dedicated beat writers. That said like everywhere it’s down from what it once was.
DSquiz

Return to Big East basketball message board