(5) Saturday Big East Games 12/17/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Saturday Big East Games 12/17/22

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:35 am

adoraz wrote:Lol that was unnecessary. Anyone who doesn't think this is remotely possible is simply delusional.

We've seen just last month the Big XII hold talks with Gonzaga, and UConn I'd think is more valuable. A poached ACC would likely be pulling from G5 schools and there really aren't any respectable brands remaining. Even with dreadful football UConn may be more appealing, or the ACC could even offer an invite without football (unsure if UConn would accept).

Anyway I'm not saying this would definitely happen by any means, it may even be lower than 50% odds, but you're kidding yourself if you're putting their flight odds at 0%.

I actually think the biggest benefit of a conference adding UConn is getting the rights to the women’s basketball team. I am really shocked that the Big East hasn’t done more to get them on national TV because I think they’d draw better than a lot of lower level men’s games.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:38 am

adoraz wrote:Lol that was unnecessary. Anyone who doesn't think this is remotely possible is simply delusional.

We've seen just last month the Big XII hold talks with Gonzaga, and UConn I'd think is more valuable. A poached ACC would likely be pulling from G5 schools and there really aren't any respectable brands remaining. Even with dreadful football UConn may be more appealing, or the ACC could even offer an invite without football (unsure if UConn would accept).

Anyway I'm not saying this would definitely happen by any means, it may even be lower than 50% odds, but you're kidding yourself if you're putting their flight odds at 0%.

Ok, fair points Adoraz
Providence
billyjack

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:37 pm

UConn has been down this road already. Their basketball attendance plummeted when their conference schedule consisted of games with AAC opponents. The programs at both BC and Syracuse have declined as well with their move to the ACC despite the superior prestige of ACC rivals. There simply is no substitute for games against natural rivals. As much as anything, I think that’s what motivated UConn to return to the Big East. It was one thing to have bad football, it was something else to see fans lose interest in their storied basketball program.

If the ACC comes calling, it will be because they’ve been raided and have had their Crown Jewels plucked by the B1G. It will mean that college football has become a P2 and that the P5 is no longer. They would no longer look as attractive.
Jasper67

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Jasper67 wrote:

UConn has been down this road already. Their basketball attendance plummeted when their conference schedule consisted of games with AAC opponents. The programs at both BC and Syracuse have declined as well with their move to the ACC despite the superior prestige of ACC rivals. There simply is no substitute for games against natural rivals. As much as anything, I think that’s what motivated UConn to return to the Big East. It was one thing to have bad football, it was something else to see fans lose interest in their storied basketball program.

If the ACC comes calling, it will be because they’ve been raided and have had their Crown Jewels plucked by the B1G. It will mean that college football has become a P2 and that the P5 is no longer. They would no longer look as attractive.

I actually agree with all that. I think where we disagree is whether UConn will be offered/accept an invite by a raided ACC. I think there's a possibility there because unlike in the AAC they would still have many of their old Big East rivals (better geography, too) and would have a much better payout than the AAC offered. It'd essentially be the football schools from the old Big East with some southern ACC schools.

It'd probably be a bad move for basketball, but if they're given 3-4X the amount of their Big East contract then they're likely gone. Still a big question mark as to whether the ACC-lite would even offer them, though.

Really important for the rest of our league to step up. Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, etc. need to be consistent Tournament teams (at least 2/3 of them), and Gonzaga needs to be on speed dial as a potential replacement.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Husky_U » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:14 pm

I and many others would have no interest in a picked-over ACC over the current BE. With that said, our AD wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't continue promote the university as F5 worthy. It doesn't mean a move will or should happen.
Husky_U

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board