AP Top 25 Tracker 2/21/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: AP Top 25 Tracker 2/21/22

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:30 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:UConn could easily get passed by St Mary's though if they beat Gonzaga. UConn might move up to like 20 or maybe 19 but with all the teams above them winning- going to be hard to get higher than that. Maybe USC loses to Oregon and that helps some.

Possible, but easily? I wouldn't bet on it. There will be some shuffling in the poll, and uconn is one of the programs that gets benefit of the doubt. They have to look good at Georgetown.

I think all the shuffling will be at the top of the poll. No one from 16 on down lost this week with 2 games left to go. With amazingly the UConn win over Nova only about the 3rd or 4th most impressive win of the group- Tennessee over Auburn, Arkansas over Kentucky, and St Mary's over Gonzaga ahead of them beating Nova.

I think the fact that Gonzaga was the unanimous #1 will play a part of it.

And when I said they could easily get passed by St Mary's I just meant that it was very possible. Wouldn't shock me at all. Especially like you kind of inferred if UConn doesn't look good vs Georgetown.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:13 am

stever20 wrote:I think all the shuffling will be at the top of the poll. No one from 16 on down lost this week with 2 games left to go. With amazingly the UConn win over Nova only about the 3rd or 4th most impressive win of the group- Tennessee over Auburn, Arkansas over Kentucky, and St Mary's over Gonzaga ahead of them beating Nova.

I think uconn will pass some combination of Houston, Illinois, USC, Murray, and Texas, pending sunday's results. Yes, they can get jumped by OSU and Mary's as well. The order of teams in the poll will shuffle around quite a bit in the bottom half, too. Like Tenn and Arkansas may not move up in tandem, cuz one might jump the other. Some weeks have the pollsters kind of start from scratch, and I think next week will be one of those weeks.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:59 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think all the shuffling will be at the top of the poll. No one from 16 on down lost this week with 2 games left to go. With amazingly the UConn win over Nova only about the 3rd or 4th most impressive win of the group- Tennessee over Auburn, Arkansas over Kentucky, and St Mary's over Gonzaga ahead of them beating Nova.

I think uconn will pass some combination of Houston, Illinois, USC, Murray, and Texas, pending sunday's results. Yes, they can get jumped by OSU and Mary's as well. The order of teams in the poll will shuffle around quite a bit in the bottom half, too. Like Tenn and Arkansas may not move up in tandem, cuz one might jump the other. Some weeks have the pollsters kind of start from scratch, and I think next week will be one of those weeks.

If Illinois wins today I think they'll remain ahead of UConn just because they were that much ahead and I don't see them dropping 6 spots if they beat Michigan today- think it's more like 3-4 tops. Houston maybe if they lose to SMU. Texas is possible. Murray with what they did to Belmont I don't really see.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:04 pm

Boy.... with two wins Providence should get some respect and move into the top-7/8.

I hope so. Everyone in the top 6 lost this weekend. Providence should be given the respect it deserves this week. Right now they should be looking at a top-2 seed. Anything else is B.S!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:10 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:Boy.... with two wins Providence should get some respect and move into the top-7/8.

I hope so. Everyone in the top 6 lost this weekend. Providence should be given the respect it deserves this week. Right now they should be looking at a top-2 seed. Anything else is B.S!

Only having 5 Q1 wins is going to make a top 2 seed almost impossible. Of the 13 teams ahead of them in bracketville's bracket only Illinois has fewer with 4. Only Arizona and Duke have only 5 besides them. Nova only one with 6. So of top 12 teams 9 of them have at least 7 q1 wins.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:27 pm

gonna be interesting to see who the voters have higher tomorrow- Nova or Providence.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board