Quick Historic PC-URI Story That You May Have Heard...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:32 am

I'm pretty sure this story has been discussed here a bunch of times, but i couldn't find anything in an archive search, so i'll share it again, and i'll try to make it brief (although for me that's kind of impossible)... plus maybe some young lurkers have never heard this?

... if this story has already been posyed here at the HLOH, let me know and i'll delete this thread...

This is still a major story even 45 years later, for local fans aged 53 and older...

Bad blood between PC and URI goes back decades... Rhody is down here near me in South County, and their fans have claimed for decades that the Projo (city newspaper) and local TV sports favors the local city school in Providence, and they generally cry and whine... check out keaneyblue.com for a tasty sampling of grief-- like fans of the pre-2004 Red Sox, geez.

I grew up 5 minutes from the PC campus so i developed my Friar fandom due to that, plus my father was a PC grad, and several cousins are Friar alums. Plus my entire family rooted for PC. Plus PC was a national powerhouse when i was a kid, a perennial top-20 team. Yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, the major URI-PC beef was during recruiting in 1976. The Friars got a commitment from the top high school star in New England and the Northeast, the great Sly Williams from New Haven CT.

So, Sly was going to keep us great thru the end of the 70's, expected to be playing alongside All-New England point guard Dwight Williams in the Friar lineup, and be an amazing talent to seamlessly continue our dominance once Joey Hassett (future Supersonic) and other stars graduated.

Anyway, at the start of the Fall 1976 school year (1977 season, when i was 9 years old and was only then just starting to pay attention since my (older) brother and older cousins would talk sports non-stop), Sly boarded the Amtrak in New Haven, bound for downtown Providence, where the Friars awaited. But, he never arrived in the city, because the second stop once crossing into Rhode Island is Kingston Station, home of the Rhody Rams.

I may have some details messed up, but Ram boosters convinced Sly to get off the train and come to the URI campus, where he then committed to play for URI under Jack Kraft (former Villanova coach). A new car may have been involved, plus other perks--- that's pretty much the accepted story from both fanbases.

A sh-tstorm ensued, and yadda yadda yadda... major bad blood and trust issues resulted. Gavitt back then didn't require commits to sign letters of intent, etc.

A couple of years later, there was zero chance of URI being invited to the BE (cuz it would be insane having two RI teams in the BE, but also due to this Sly Williams controversy-- like why the F would we reward URI for this sh-t, you know?).

Then, what-if scenarios play out in our heads... Sly Williams as a soph in 78 led URI to the NCAA's, where they lost in Greensboro, by 1 point, to eventual runner-up Duke... but what impact would Sly have potentially had on PC's results in the 77 NCAA's (we beat #1 Michigan in December 76, then we led Kansas State in the last minute in a virtual road game in the NCAA first round... KSU next round lost to eventual champion Marquette). 78 we had another great season but lost to Michigan State and freshman-Magic. Would Sly have provided enough additional juice to put us over the top.

Anyway, i think of this old story anytime our annual state rivalry game hits our schedule.

So this was another sweet Friar win this weekend over a talented but undisciplined URI team.

P.S. My freshman son at U of Vermont is rooting for the Friars on Tuesday... how great is that... some deep Friar roots, lol.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Quick Historic PC-URI Story That You May Have Heard...

Postby Xudash » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:34 pm

billyjack wrote:I'm pretty sure this story has been discussed here a bunch of times, but i couldn't find anything in an archive search, so i'll share it again, and i'll try to make it brief (although for me that's kind of impossible)... plus maybe some young lurkers have never heard this?

... if this story has already been posyed here at the HLOH, let me know and i'll delete this thread...

This is still a major story even 45 years later, for local fans aged 53 and older...

Bad blood between PC and URI goes back decades... Rhody is down here near me in South County, and their fans have claimed for decades that the Projo (city newspaper) and local TV sports favors the local city school in Providence, and they generally cry and whine... check out keaneyblue.com for a tasty sampling of grief-- like fans of the pre-2004 Red Sox, geez.

I grew up 5 minutes from the PC campus so i developed my Friar fandom due to that, plus my father was a PC grad, and several cousins are Friar alums. Plus my entire family rooted for PC. Plus PC was a national powerhouse when i was a kid, a perennial top-20 team. Yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, the major URI-PC beef was during recruiting in 1976. The Friars got a commitment from the top high school star in New England and the Northeast, the great Sly Williams from New Haven CT.

So, Sly was going to keep us great thru the end of the 70's, expected to be playing alongside All-New England point guard Dwight Williams in the Friar lineup, and be an amazing talent to seamlessly continue our dominance once Joey Hassett (future Supersonic) and other stars graduated.

Anyway, at the start of the Fall 1976 school year (1977 season, when i was 9 years old and was only then just starting to pay attention since my (older) brother and older cousins would talk sports non-stop), Sly boarded the Amtrak in New Haven, bound for downtown Providence, where the Friars awaited. But, he never arrived in the city, because the second stop once crossing into Rhode Island is Kingston Station, home of the Rhody Rams.

I may have some details messed up, but Ram boosters convinced Sly to get off the train and come to the URI campus, where he then committed to play for URI under Jack Kraft (former Villanova coach). A new car may have been involved, plus other perks--- that's pretty much the accepted story from both fanbases.

A sh-tstorm ensued, and yadda yadda yadda... major bad blood and trust issues resulted. Gavitt back then didn't require commits to sign letters of intent, etc.

A couple of years later, there was zero chance of URI being invited to the BE (cuz it would be insane having two RI teams in the BE, but also due to this Sly Williams controversy-- like why the F would we reward URI for this sh-t, you know?).

Then, what-if scenarios play out in our heads... Sly Williams as a soph in 78 led URI to the NCAA's, where they lost in Greensboro, by 1 point, to eventual runner-up Duke... but what impact would Sly have potentially had on PC's results in the 77 NCAA's (we beat #1 Michigan in December 76, then we led Kansas State in the last minute in a virtual road game in the NCAA first round... KSU next round lost to eventual champion Marquette). 78 we had another great season but lost to Michigan State and freshman-Magic. Would Sly have provided enough additional juice to put us over the top.

Anyway, i think of this old story anytime our annual state rivalry game hits our schedule.

So this was another sweet Friar win this weekend over a talented but undisciplined URI team.

P.S. My freshman son at U of Vermont is rooting for the Friars on Tuesday... how great is that... some deep Friar roots, lol.

I don't care if this has been posted before. It is an enjoyable read! Thanks for sharing.

Took him off the train and gave him a car. Way to teach young men how the real world works at an early age...
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:19 pm

Wow. This really does go way back.

Good read Billy.

Glad that PC blew them out.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby sju88grad » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:54 pm

Great read….thanks for sharing Billyjack!
sju88grad

Return to Big East basketball message board