Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby EMT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 pm

FriarJ wrote:
stever20 wrote:Lunardi is closer to being above average being 92/187 than he is being bottom of the barrel. You make it out like he's one of the worst 4 or 5 guys, and the numbers just totally refute that.

What we should be talking about is how accurate Lunardi's April Bracketology is, not what it looks like right before the tournament selection.

I like your thought process but I'd even like to see a 12/31 lock and review if from there.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:29 pm

EMT wrote:
FriarJ wrote:
stever20 wrote:Lunardi is closer to being above average being 92/187 than he is being bottom of the barrel. You make it out like he's one of the worst 4 or 5 guys, and the numbers just totally refute that.

What we should be talking about is how accurate Lunardi's April Bracketology is, not what it looks like right before the tournament selection.

I like your thought process but I'd even like to see a 12/31 lock and review if from there.

looking at 1/4-
Villanova 1
Xavier 2
Seton Hall 5
Creighton 7
Butler 7

Tough to ding Lunardi from then not having Providence in the tourney at that point. PC didn't have the best OOC by any stretch.

His one from August-
Villanova 2
Xavier 5
Seton Hall 6
Butler 7
Creighton 9
Providence 10
Really not bad at all when you think about it. Xavier a bit low, but then again Seton Hall a bit high. For 3 months prior to the start of the season- not too bad at all.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Marquette just got another transfer - Koby McEwen from Utah State. PG that will sit one, play two. Averaged 15 ppg, 5 reb and 3 ast last year. He will likely be the starting point guard after Chartouney graduates next year. Not a bad Spring at all for us...

2018-19 Starters (Projected)
PG Chartouney
SG Howard
SF S. Hauser
PF Morrow
C Heldt
Bench: Anim, Elliott, Cain, John, J. Hauser, I. Eke, B. Bailey, McEwen (siting out - transfer)

2019-20 Starters (Projected)
PG McEwen
SG Howard
F S. Hauser
F J. Hauser
F Morrow
Bench: Anim, Elliott, Cain, John, B. Bailey, Eke + 2 open spots for scholarships
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:12 am

Leave it to Stever: "Lunardi is closer to being above average being 92/187 than he is being bottom of the barrel. You make it out like he's one of the worst 4 or 5 guys, and the numbers just totally refute that"

So, according to Stever, there are 91 bracketologists that are better than Lunardi...I think the point most are trying to make (and it's almost subtle, so I understand why you don't get it), is that Lunardi is the single most noted, quoted, and ego-bloated bracketologist in the business and he isn't very good at it. How many of those that are ranked above or behind him get shoved down our throats for 6 months by the WWL?

I love your statement, "Lunardi is closer to being above average being 92/187 than he is being bottom of the barrel." We should all strive to be "closer to above average" in our careers. (Editorial note...you probably shouldn't use the word "being" three times in one sentence).

On a less Stever note, nice pick up by MU.
Savannah Jay

Postby kayako » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 am

Lunardi has another bracket out http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Gotta say, I think he's usually more biased for the ACC rather than against the Big East.

Nova - 1
Butler - 5
Xavier - 8
Seton Hall - 10
Marquette - 12
Creighton - 7th team out

No mention of Providence is a head scratcher, and I think with their grad transfer, Marquette is a top 25 team. But he seems to be higher on Butler and Seton Hall than most of us.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:34 am

kayako wrote:Lunardi has another bracket out http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Gotta say, I think he's usually more biased for the ACC rather than against the Big East.

Nova - 1
Butler - 5
Xavier - 8
Seton Hall - 10
Marquette - 12
Creighton - 7th team out

No mention of Providence is a head scratcher, and I think with their grad transfer, Marquette is a top 25 team. But he seems to be higher on Butler and Seton Hall than most of us.

Agree with your comments. These picks make absolutely no sense.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 am

kayako wrote:Lunardi has another bracket out http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Nova - 1
Butler - 5
Xavier - 8
Seton Hall - 10
Marquette - 12
Creighton - 7th team out

Butler as a 5 seed would be 17-20. I know I've seen some polls with Butler being like 22 or 23 this week(the ESPN one had them at #24), so not exactly that much of a difference....

I'm thinking for Marquette he may have turned it in prior to them getting the grad transfer...

Providence I think a lot of folks would have them outside things right now. They lost 3 guys who played between 78-82% of the minutes vs tier 1 teams last year. Holt sat out this past year. And it's not like they were all that comfortably in the tourney this year- it took going 3-1 last 4 games to get in quite frankly. It's not outrageous by any stretch to see them not in right now. Now, do I think they'll be in? Yeah, I think Cooley's a great coach. But, I think it's pretty understandable.
stever20

Postby kayako » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:38 pm

stever20 wrote:Providence I think a lot of folks would have them outside things right now. They lost 3 guys who played between 78-82% of the minutes vs tier 1 teams last year. Holt sat out this past year. And it's not like they were all that comfortably in the tourney this year- it took going 3-1 last 4 games to get in quite frankly. It's not outrageous by any stretch to see them not in right now. Now, do I think they'll be in? Yeah, I think Cooley's a great coach. But, I think it's pretty understandable.

It's one thing to have them outside the bracket, but not even in the next 8 out? The talent they lose is being replaced by likely superior talent. Lunardi is either underestimating the talent on the roster or is assuming the worst case scenario of a team with no PG.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:48 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:Providence I think a lot of folks would have them outside things right now. They lost 3 guys who played between 78-82% of the minutes vs tier 1 teams last year. Holt sat out this past year. And it's not like they were all that comfortably in the tourney this year- it took going 3-1 last 4 games to get in quite frankly. It's not outrageous by any stretch to see them not in right now. Now, do I think they'll be in? Yeah, I think Cooley's a great coach. But, I think it's pretty understandable.

It's one thing to have them outside the bracket, but not even in the next 8 out? The talent they lose is being replaced by likely superior talent. Lunardi is either underestimating the talent on the roster or is assuming the worst case scenario of a team with no PG.

Well given how big PG is in college basketball, that's pretty understandable. And frankly with what's happened at Providence in these last 5 years- it's been due largely due to PG play. Cotton/Dunn/Cartwright. All 5 played at least 3/4 of the game and 4 of the 5 finished their individual seasons in the top 500 in minutes % in the country(with 3 in the top 250).
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Having Seton Hall semi-comfortably in and Providence nowhere to be seen does appear to be inconsistent logic on his part. I know most on this board would have flipped them (and probably raised PC even higher than he currently has the Hall. Personally, I'd treat them pretty much the same at this point as they're undergoing very similar roster changes.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board