Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Re: Disappointing...again.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 pm

Disappointed? Sure, but it's better than losing to a 16 seed. Big East is fine, Xavier is fine (take comfort in knowing your coach didn't go off on his player for fouling out like raving lunatic when it was Cronin's fault for leaving him in), but if there was a year for the to have multiple teams make a deep run, this was it. So sure, be disappointed, but the bickering and name calling is pointless.
Irishdawg

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 pm

i just want Georgetown to be good again is this too much to ask for
DeadHeadHoya

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:41 am

Hall2012 wrote:At least the Hall sent KU fans home with lighter wallets lol

https://ftw-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject ... action/amp

Lol, that's awesome.

Also funny cuz 10 seconds earlier Carrington drilled a 3, but the refs waved it off with a bogus foul called on Powell. This foul basically ended the game cuz the Carrington shot i think wouldve cut the lead to 2 with around 8 seconds left.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 am

ArmyVet wrote:Disappointing? Yes.

Shocking? No.

The expectation for most was that Nova and XU would advance as #1 seeds, so that's the issue. But XU made the Elite 8 as an 11(?) seed last year, so I will suggest to you that over time the law of averages will win.

Interesting to read some of the borderline hysteria remarks but Army Vet has it right. 1 and done tourneys are full of surprises at any level! The 3 point shot, the shot clock the semi circle under the hoop have all had their impact on opening the game up. It opens to scoring and opens it up for upsets.
BEwannabe

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 am

billyjack wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:At least the Hall sent KU fans home with lighter wallets lol

https://ftw-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject ... action/amp

Lol, that's awesome.

Also funny cuz 10 seconds earlier Carrington drilled a 3, but the refs waved it off with a bogus foul called on Powell. This foul basically ended the game cuz the Carrington shot i think wouldve cut the lead to 2 with around 8 seconds left.

Yup, would've been 2. That may have added a little pressure to that last pair of free throws, right?

But credit KU for perfect free throw shooting at the end. That's the difference between Poole's three swinging the result for Michigan and Powell's only swinging the spread for the Hall.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am

I agree that single elimination tournaments allow for anything to happen and it's unfair to totally judge a team based on that, but that's what the public and the media measures teams by. That's the yardstick that is used for better or worse. That being said, it's not just one isolated year...the Big East has been pretty bad in the tournament overall. A 9 seed ACC team knocking off our regular season champion and 1 seed X looks terrible. All this does is reinforce the ESPN narrative that we are "off broadway".
MullinMayhem

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:12 am

MullinMayhem wrote:I agree that single elimination tournaments allow for anything to happen and it's unfair to totally judge a team based on that, but that's what the public and the media measures teams by. That's the yardstick that is used for better or worse. That being said, it's not just one isolated year...the Big East has been pretty bad in the tournament overall. A 9 seed ACC team knocking off our regular season champion and 1 seed X looks terrible. All this does is reinforce the ESPN narrative that we are "off broadway".

So in 2017 were the quotes:
"Geez an 11 seed BE team knocking off our 2nd place ACC team and #3 seed FSU looks terrible."
"Golly, an 11 seed BE team knocking off our Pac 12 conference champion #2 seed Arizona looks terrible."

MSU lost to an 11 seed this year and a 15 seed 2 years ago as a 2 and 3 seed. UVA, the undisputed ACC champ, lost to #16 UMBC for God's sake. (2) 1's, (2) 2's, (3) 3's & (3) 4's have all been taken out in the first two rounds. Something tells me that Xavier will not be isolated and judged.

Give it a rest.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

But Gumby my man. We just GOTTA have someplace to go and cry, whine, and whimper. The mods ran me off of my home boards as I was killing the subscribership with my weak ass whimpering. HLOH is the spot of last resort to get all of my crying out and plead for understanding. Don't run us all off from here as well. Heck, I may have to run over to the WWL and cry. :lol:

PS: my Jays have a helluva recruiting class coming in. Rumor has it 1 or 2 guys may leave and I know of 2 bigs I'd like to add to the mix. 2018-19 promises to be an exciting season already.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:45 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:I agree that single elimination tournaments allow for anything to happen and it's unfair to totally judge a team based on that, but that's what the public and the media measures teams by. That's the yardstick that is used for better or worse. That being said, it's not just one isolated year...the Big East has been pretty bad in the tournament overall. A 9 seed ACC team knocking off our regular season champion and 1 seed X looks terrible. All this does is reinforce the ESPN narrative that we are "off broadway".

So in 2017 were the quotes:
"Geez an 11 seed BE team knocking off our 2nd place ACC team and #3 seed FSU looks terrible."
"Golly, an 11 seed BE team knocking off our Pac 12 conference champion #2 seed Arizona looks terrible."

MSU lost to an 11 seed this year and a 15 seed 2 years ago as a 2 and 3 seed. UVA, the undisputed ACC champ, lost to #16 UMBC for God's sake. (2) 1's, (2) 2's, (3) 3's & (3) 4's have all been taken out in the first two rounds. Something tells me that Xavier will not be isolated and judged.

Give it a rest.

What he said ^^^

Arizona losing to a team seeded 9 spots below them for the second year in a row, Virginia being the first 1 seed ever to lose to a 16 seed, SEC regular season champ being down by 41 at one point, and the two teams that the national media (WWL) were positioning as possible 1 seeds instead of X (UNC and MSU) both taken out in second round means NO ONE will be talking about the X "disappointment" except those of us who really, really wanted them to go deep.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board